Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #738 of 4,804
Yes. This is precisely what happened.

Thanks for the answer! That's the reason that made the most sense I guess. When a company is able to create such state of the art earphones, I have hard time believing they would fail on a simple carry case! :)
Plus you can definitely see the evolution in the quality of the hooks, between the first gen shiny transparent ones and the newer black soft rubbery touch that feel much more premium.

Anyway, the case doesn't really matter to me since the i4 didn't go in it since I got them, and I don't think they'll get in anytime soon!! :ksc75smile:

By the way, I have a question for you. If I decide to re-terminate the 3.5mm SE cable to 2.5mm BAL, would it actually void the warranty of the i4?

Thank you in advance. :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #739 of 4,804
Are there plans to improve upon the ear hooks? Using a heat gun I was able to bend them for a better fit but that is not the ideal method for a product of this caliber.

the ear hooks work but i agree they are not the proper solution....I LOVE the I4's but the ear hook could use some improvement

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #741 of 4,804
I just got a chance to try the Audeze LCDi4. I personally do not find these to a mini LCD-4 as some people suggested, despite using the same ultra-thin diaphragm as the LCD-4. I really like the LCD-4 and it is one of my favourite headphones available now, and I like it for the very rich sound, intimate vocals while still being very detailed. the LCD i4 on the other hand to me sounds very airy with a huge soundstage and very detailed. Great job Audeze with this pair of open-backed IEMs.

Note: I found that these need quite a bit of power to drive them. They benefitted from an amp like the Chord Mojo and sounded better that when I listened to them straight out of my ak380cu.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #742 of 4,804
By the way, I have a question for you. If I decide to re-terminate the 3.5mm SE cable to 2.5mm BAL, would it actually void the warranty of the i4?

Thank you in advance. :)

Are you aware of someone doing this re-termination?
I like how the LCDi4 sounds with the balanced cable I got, but it's a bit on the stiff side, I would certainly try out the included cable should it be possible to have it re-terminated. Otherwise, Audeze, pls release a balanced solution soon, such a product deserves a native solution from your side!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #743 of 4,804
Almost pulled the trigger on the LCDi4 this afternoon. I spent 2 hours listening and comparing LCDi4 with my iSine10 with cipher cable. Using different sources (QP2R, AK240SS and Hugo2). No doubt the LCDi4 is technically superior. However, my demo session felt like a mixed bag. It did sound like a TOTL headphone as it was supposed to be on some recordings (e.g. Smashing pumpkins, Tina Turner) but it felt weird on others (ACDC, Daft Punk).

The bass is tighter and powerful compared to isine10 but at the same I felt it is too hard and clearly missing the bounce or decay which the isine10 portrays very nicely. The i4 is very resolving indeed but it felt overwhelming at times. Compared to isine10 where it feels like there is some gaps in the soundstage the iSine felt fuller and present everything and hide nothing.

To me the first time I listen to iSine10 is the same feeling when I heard a stax for the first time. It's detailed but still fun with that great and engaging bass. I guess the iSine10 is more forgiving than the i4. The i4 is impressive technically but did not seem give the wow feeling like I did on the iSine.

Another thing I notice is that like many others have already mentioned, the i4 really needs as powerful amplifier. It felt the QP2R (SE) and the AK240SS is getting a hard time driving the i4. I had to borrow the Hugo2 so I can eliminate the source as potential bottleneck.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #744 of 4,804
Another thing I notice is that like many others have already mentioned, the i4 really needs as powerful amplifier. It felt the QP2R (SE) and the AK240SS is getting a hard time driving the i4. I had to borrow the Hugo2 so I can eliminate the source as potential bottleneck.

While waiting for my SP1000 to arrive, I briefly tried the LCDi4 with my old standard AK240, and even with a balanced connection I have to agree: that player struggles a bit to drive them. Not surprising, as that player's balanced connection is rated at pretty much the same output power as the single ended one. There were recordings (I 100% listen to classical) where I had to push the volume towards the max level. But at that point the sound became flat, dynamics went out of the window.
The SP1000, again on balanced, drives them way, way better. At around 120 there's plenty of loudness for most recordings, and things are much more alive. I'm pretty sure a more powerful output can make them sound even better, but I've nothing to complain from this setup, it just sounds spectacular.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #745 of 4,804
the H2 is wonderful with the i4's

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #746 of 4,804
Almost pulled the trigger on the LCDi4 this afternoon. I spent 2 hours listening and comparing LCDi4 with my iSine10 with cipher cable. Using different sources (QP2R, AK240SS and Hugo2). No doubt the LCDi4 is technically superior. However, my demo session felt like a mixed bag. It did sound like a TOTL headphone as it was supposed to be on some recordings (e.g. Smashing pumpkins, Tina Turner) but it felt weird on others (ACDC, Daft Punk).

The bass is tighter and powerful compared to isine10 but at the same I felt it is too hard and clearly missing the bounce or decay which the isine10 portrays very nicely. The i4 is very resolving indeed but it felt overwhelming at times. Compared to isine10 where it feels like there is some gaps in the soundstage the iSine felt fuller and present everything and hide nothing.

To me the first time I listen to iSine10 is the same feeling when I heard a stax for the first time. It's detailed but still fun with that great and engaging bass. I guess the iSine10 is more forgiving than the i4. The i4 is impressive technically but did not seem give the wow feeling like I did on the iSine.

exactly same feeling for me for auditioning sine 10 vs 20. the 10 sounds more natural sounding.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #747 of 4,804
exactly same feeling for me for auditioning sine 10 vs 20. the 10 sounds more natural sounding.
Well that's the beautiful thing about headfi, you have a community of different people with different taste in sound signitiure. No has the final say so in sound quality but everyone hears differently. I for one am excited to be getting a Audeze LCDi4 when I have saved up enough money to purchase it.

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #748 of 4,804
you won't be disappointed

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #750 of 4,804
When I demoed the 10 vs 20 I most compared them using the standard cable. The 20 just doesn't sound quite right for me vs the 10. The 10 however, sounds a lot different and better with the cipher cable which is what I used to compare with the LCDi4.

I will go again and have the 20 auditioned but this time with cipher cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back