Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #676 of 4,795
I just started getting a buzzing/rattling sound in the left ear while listening to heavier bass (Jazz, nothing extreme). It's consistent and not at a terribly loud volume (Hugo 2 blue so around 50 - 55%). I vaguely remember reading about another user having this issue but can't find anything with a quick search. Sound familiar to anyone? Obviously I'll contact Audeze but wanted to throw it out there.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #677 of 4,795
I just started getting a buzzing/rattling sound in the left ear while listening to heavier bass (Jazz, nothing extreme). It's consistent and not at a terribly loud volume (Hugo 2 blue so around 50 - 55%). I vaguely remember reading about another user having this issue but can't find anything with a quick search. Sound familiar to anyone? Obviously I'll contact Audeze but wanted to throw it out there.

Blue volume from the Hugo2? Really? That must be really loud I imagine. With the Mojo I barely get in to red volume and it's giving around 80-85dB on average. Of course different track dB levels will be a factor, but blue volume seems like a lot.

I just roughly measured the i4 from the Mojo at yellow at that was giving 95-100dB on average volume. Green measured over 100dB on average. I know the Hugo2 is more powerful than the Mojo and I never used the Hugo2 above red for my listening levels when I tested it on the Hugo2 tour. You may actually be over-driving the i4 if using blue on the Hugo2. Take care of your hearing man.

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #678 of 4,795
/.jh
Blue volume from the Hugo2? Really? That must be really loud I imagine. With the Mojo I barely get in to red volume and it's giving around 80-85dB on average. Of course different track dB levels will be a factor, but blue volume seems like a lot.

I just roughly measured the i4 from the Mojo at yellow at that was giving 95-100dB on average volume. Green measured over 100dB on average. I know the Hugo2 is more powerful than the Mojo and I never used the Hugo2 above red for my listening levels when I tested it on the Hugo2 tour. You may actually be over-driving the i4 if using blue on the Hugo2. Take care of your hearing man.

It was louder than my normal listening volume to exaggerate the sound while trying to hear if it was truly the IEM or something in the track. I also use a very shallow and angled insertion for the i4's. I'd have a lot of wasted money sitting around my house if I damaged my most important piece of "gear" and am not usually one to listen at loud volumes. :)

Regardless, I didn't post my comment to make the i4's appear problematic or cause issues for Audeze. Their customer server is always top notch and of course KMann immediately reached out and has been helping through a PM. If there is an issue I'm confident we'll resolve it quickly. I love these transducers!

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #679 of 4,795
Better clarity, control, sound staging and a tighter and more transparent presentation to the Mojo. The Hugo 2 can firmly drive these in ears and as a pairing can rival any TOTL desktop setup.
Lol I am tempted to get the Hugo 2 lol even though it would be illogical but who said being a audiophile was logical lol

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #680 of 4,795
/.jh

It was louder than my normal listening volume to exaggerate the sound while trying to hear if it was truly the IEM or something in the track. I also use a very shallow and angled insertion for the i4's. I'd have a lot of wasted money sitting around my house if I damaged my most important piece of "gear" and am not usually one to listen at loud volumes. :)

Regardless, I didn't post my comment to make the i4's appear problematic or cause issues for Audeze. Their customer server is always top notch and of course KMann immediately reached out and has been helping through a PM. If there is an issue I'm confident we'll resolve it quickly. I love these transducers!

I'd be curious as an i4 owner what the outcome is. If there is a resolution could you PM me if you'd rather not post to the forum.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #682 of 4,795
I am nowhere near the caliber of audiophile you gents are -but- to my ears the i4 thru the Mojo just sounds insanely delicious. I am well and thoroughly blown away. Only issue is the left cable comes out of the earpiece occasionally but infrequently enough to not be intolerable. AND the comfort is just so nice compared to large heavy earphones. I can say that the i4 with a Mojo is for all intents really hard to beat for the price. Lovin' this setup so much... =)

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #683 of 4,795
I am nowhere near the caliber of audiophile you gents are -but- to my ears the i4 thru the Mojo just sounds insanely delicious. I am well and thoroughly blown away. Only issue is the left cable comes out of the earpiece occasionally but infrequently enough to not be intolerable. AND the comfort is just so nice compared to large heavy earphones. I can say that the i4 with a Mojo is for all intents really hard to beat for the price. Lovin' this setup so much... =)
Sweet thanks for your impressions. Right. Now I am just viewing all of my options.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #684 of 4,795
How isolating are these compared to something like the Sennheiser IE8's? I'm trying to get a sense of what wearing these would really be like. Do they leak more than an average closed headphone?

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #685 of 4,795
How isolating are these compared to something like the Sennheiser IE8's? I'm trying to get a sense of what wearing these would really be like. Do they leak more than an average closed headphone?

They isolate nothing and leak everything.

Seriously.

But with them right at your canal you shouldn't need much volume to worry about sound leakage, but, yeah, zero isolation.

Think of them as a miniature open headphone.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #686 of 4,795
I finally came back from vacation, and was able to listen to i4 via Roon. And Wow, what a difference. Onkyo DP-X1 + Hugo is a far cry from MacBook/Roon + Hugo. The huge difference is the convolution filter posted by @KMann a while ago. I don´t know how KMann managed to make this awesome filter, but it´s pure magic. I´m experimenting a bit with additional parametric IQ, just to give the bass a bit more boost. It seems that there´s room and possibility to use both EQ and convolution filter at the same time. (Correct me if I´m wrong, and this degrades the signal path.) Now I want the same sound, or as close as possible, from a DAP. Is there any DAP that can import convolution filters? Any Android app? UAPP has a good parametric EQ, but UAPP glitches too much for me, and drains my battery super fast, so it´s not an good option.

Link to the filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6vkwo3lv0di1rf/Roon-i4-V4.zip?dl=0

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #687 of 4,795
Been evaluating Hugo 2 with i4, it is a great paring as many have commented. But will Hugo2 go into my case? Go it does, fits like a a glove. There is no strain on the i4 cable or connector. There is a piece of foam under the Hugo2 with a big slot in the middle, where I stored the cable and a USB pig-tail and a few other things. Using pelican 1060 with pick-a-foam.

Thanks for awesome way to safely enhance my summer vacation ....

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #690 of 4,795

Users who are viewing this thread

Back