Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #646 of 4,795
Do you have the pmeq curve. I want to try the curve adjustment on my plugin it if possible
What you have is close to what I would have suggested. I thought I had published this EQ in this thread before, here it is:https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9964813.png

Many like their i4s without any EQ, but the above can be used as a starting point and tweaked to your preference. I use a High-shelf with a cut rather than a low shelf with a boost. You can substitute the high-shelf with your low-shelf at 100Hz if you feel my EQ takes away too much of the mids.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #647 of 4,795
Were there wav files inside the zip file? If so, that is probably just part of the convolution filter. With Roon I simply download the zip file to my hard drive and than import the entire zip file into the convolution filter setting.

He did share the FR measurement.

Side note.... It looks like he's changed some of the content within drop box so take it for what it's worth. I believe the pmeq setting is still the same one but it's probably best to get this directly from KMann. I had assumed he had posted them on this thread. Hopefully there wasn't a reason for him not to that I'm stepping on by posting what he sent me. He's been exceptionally helpful and a true asset for Audeze.

The image files in that link are for Cipher cable with iSines. PMed links are not permanent, so the contents may change. When I post in the main thread, I make sure they remain unchanged.

The zip file can be used directly if you have Roon or you can unzip and use it with a convolution plugin. Those are 'surgical EQ' designed for i4, specific to my taste, but I share them through PM as some may like it too. I EQ all my headphones including TOTL full-sized cans and many hours doing so, it may not be for everyone so I do not post them here.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #648 of 4,795
Thanks for these buddy. What are those .WAV files on the first link though?

Also, did he by any chance share i4's FR measurement?

We have not shared/published FR, FR for in-ears are even more tricky to interpret than headphone responses, the science of measuring full-sized headphones is still subject of debate, we do not want to add to that. I am sure you will see some measurements from the Head-fi team and also reviewers such as Tyll and also from folks with DIY rigs soon.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #649 of 4,795
We have not shared/published FR, FR for in-ears are even more tricky to interpret than headphone responses, the science of measuring full-sized headphones is still subject of debate, we do not want to add to that. I am sure you will see some measurements from the Head-fi team and also reviewers such as Tyll and also from folks with DIY rigs soon.

With respect, KMann, I realize that is Audeze's right not to get involved with FR for your iems. However, they are very helpful regardless of interpretation, as they give customers at least some idea of what they are considering purchasing.

I'd love to get the i4 based on what I'm reading online is their sound signature, but a product costing over $2000 without some sort of scientific data giving a general idea of the sound signature, is a bit much for everyone interested to make such a purchase without that information. Myself included.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #650 of 4,795
Were there wav files inside the zip file? If so, that is probably just part of the convolution filter. With Roon I simply download the zip file to my hard drive and than import the entire zip file into the convolution filter setting.

He did share the FR measurement.

Side note.... It looks like he's changed some of the content within drop box so take it for what it's worth. I believe the pmeq setting is still the same one but it's probably best to get this directly from KMann. I had assumed he had posted them on this thread. Hopefully there wasn't a reason for him not to that I'm stepping on by posting what he sent me. He's been exceptionally helpful and a true asset for Audeze.

Gotcha. Thanks once again.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #651 of 4,795

No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #653 of 4,795
What you have is close to what I would have suggested. I thought I had published this EQ in this thread before, here it is:https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9964813.png

Many like their i4s without any EQ, but the above can be used as a starting point and tweaked to your preference. I use a High-shelf with a cut rather than a low shelf with a boost. You can substitute the high-shelf with your low-shelf at 100Hz if you feel my EQ takes away too much of the mids.
Oh wow i also use dmg equilibrium on my desktop system. Great plugin

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #654 of 4,795
Oh wow i also use dmg equilibrium on my desktop system. Great plugin

Yes awesome plugin, the credit goes to Bob Katz for introducing me to DMG. Previously I used Electric-Q, which is good and free too. I use REW -> (Jriver MC 22 virtual audio driver) -> Jriver+DMG plugin-> DAC's ASIO driver to do precise EQ tuned for my ears.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #655 of 4,795
Yes awesome plugin, the credit goes to Bob Katz for introducing me to DMG. Previously I used Electric-Q, which is good and free too. I use REW -> (Jriver MC 22 virtual audio driver) -> Jriver+DMG plugin-> DAC's ASIO driver to do precise EQ tuned for my ears.
With the giant brother
20170801_205628.jpg

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #657 of 4,795
HanyTheo, or anyone with both LCD4 and i4, could you give us some impressions of the i4 in comparison with the full-size LCD4?
I think both of em have a liquid nature and very resolving with some abmormalities on the FR out of the box which ill explain later,

BUT since both of them have an extreme low distortion with strong n fast dynamics by nature, you will have a alot of freedom correcting it on DSP. Both of them do respond very2 well with correct equalisation.

Lcd4 out of the box is perfect from bass to midrange. Just... perfect. Just that its rather distant on the presence (cymbals and overtones of some female vocals are rather too laidback for my taste). You can correct it by boosting 3.5k-6k by around 3-4db with an analog bell. And itll be nice to lowshelf 2-3db sub 110hz.

The lcd i4 is otherwise like a pitbull, imo it definitely needs the right master for the iem to work as they're intended. To be bland here, the LCDi4 rather have a lot of flaws when uncorrected. Im using them mostly with Chord Hugo 2

Low end is ruler flat but lacks the quantity(very good extension but lacking sub 110hz qty), midrange is uneven, male vocals r fine but female vocals tend to get shouty, pianos r overly forward n too 'percussive'(too forward 1-2k), snare drums r rather distant, presence is really missing 'cymbals are distant n muted'(again like the lcd4 a laidback 4-6k but i4 is even more muted here which made the 1-2k problem worse) and theres a slight 'tizz' on some vocal and instrument overtones(too much 9-10k)

The i4 have great imaging and transparency, definitely is one of the best if not the best on those aspects by default, but when corrected oh boy they're a damn fine listen, not many iems could match it or even coming close to it speaking at a price no object perspective.

How i correct it: (i uploaded a pic of my PMEQ curve) and thanks Kmann for giving me a baseline.
- +3db low shelf sub 110hz(low)
- -3db analog bell 1200hz(mids)
- +5db analog bell 4000hz(uppermid/presence)
- -3db analog bell 10000hz(high)(optional)
(Dont f...n forget to level match it to avoid clipping) you'll need a good powered transparent amp as youll need xtra 5db of gain compensation

I believe everyone, regardless of taste at the summit fi of personal audio listening, will prioritise low noise, low distortion and linear response, the rest is what your transducer/acoustic design got to offer you.

I might change the DSP settings to better ir further as im studying this badboy

Screenshot_20170802-012130.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170802-004702.jpg
    Screenshot_20170802-004702.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #658 of 4,795
I dont know why Jriver sounded somewhat more laidback vs foobar2k
Is it just me or do u think so too?

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #660 of 4,795
C
Hello reddog. I'm back!!!!! (for a bit) Sorry that I've missed your wonderful posts but dang if this Pope didn't whip up something special for you. Once I took a gander at that mouse with ear hooks popping into its eyes I knew that with the correct amount of beer I could create one awesome painting for you. Behold the glorious mouse created using a combination of acrylics, oils and a dab of beer:

Pope Van Gogh
ool that is a sweet painting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back