Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 15, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #4,141 of 4,795
Dec 15, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #4,142 of 4,795
Guys

Am considering on the LCDi4 I already have the Euclid which I like loads, running through HiBy RS6 on it’s own or with the Cayin C9 headphone amp. Alternatively it’s my phone through Cayin RU6, am interested in the i4 being open back and giving a different presentation, however am but reluctant due to the possible need to use EQ to get the best out of the i4.

If any one had tried both Euclid and i4 am interested to hear your thoughts…..
Honestly I've gotten great results out of a 5 band eq oriolus connected to my Shanling m8 as well as 10 band from Sony ZX507 or my LG Android phone. Not difficult. Don't NEED parametric to get great results and outdo the cipher cable

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #4,145 of 4,795
Any dongle DAC recommendations that pair well with the i4? Just got the i4 and looking to get the best out of it
The qudelix 5k has an i4 eq preset built into its app. I just got one a couple of days ago and haven't really listened to it. Upon first listening it sounded really good, though. I think there are impressions earlier in this thread. I know this isn't the best out of it...for that a desktop amp is required. My question is is it the best for convenience and portability. I wish more dongle dacs had the ability to eq. When I'm at home Roon is great, but on the go I need something else.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,146 of 4,795
The qudelix 5k has an i4 eq preset built into its app. I just got one a couple of days ago and haven't really listened to it. Upon first listening it sounded really good, though. I think there are impressions earlier in this thread. I know this isn't the best out of it...for that a desktop amp is required. My question is is it the best for convenience and portability. I wish more dongle dacs had the ability to eq. When I'm at home Roon is great, but on the go I need something else.

Looks like the L&P W2 has that ability. At the price I could just buy both and play with the EQ settings and see what setup I like best.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,147 of 4,795
Is the LCD-i4 discontinued? Looks like Audeze is sold out. Whenever they write that, it appears very final.

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #4,148 of 4,795
Is the LCD-i4 discontinued? Looks like Audeze is sold out. Whenever they write that, it appears very final.
That was my reaction, they’re not available anywhere. LCDi3 are available. Would be exciting if an LCDi5 was on the way. I have the i4 and they’re right up there with the best.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #4,149 of 4,795
That was my reaction, they’re not available anywhere. LCDi3 are available. Would be exciting if an LCDi5 was on the way. I have the i4 and they’re right up there with the best.

Really. They need to figure out the proper form factor and fitment. The ear hooks are an annoyance everyone could avoid if it was designed like a standard iem with memory wire or similar bendy silicone over the ear.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #4,150 of 4,795
Really. They need to figure out the proper form factor and fitment. The ear hooks are an annoyance everyone could avoid if it was designed like a standard iem with memory wire or similar bendy silicone over the ear.

Form factor and fitment are the issue though. Regular IEMs can fit their drivers into a housing that can be placed inside the ear. Combined with a deep insertion the positioning is stable without need for external support. As you know, the memory wire just manages the cable.

The i4 transducer cannot simply be compressed and positioned like a standard IEM inside the ear. It must be fixed somehow external to the ear. The open design also needs some space between the driver and the ear canal so the eartips do not insert as deeply.

I agree with you that the ear hooks have significant issues, but they are what make the i4s possible at present. I'm sure the techs at Audeze will eventually come up with a better solution, but I'm really glad they released it once they had the transducer and earpiece figured out with workable support.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #4,151 of 4,795
Form factor and fitment are the issue though. Regular IEMs can fit their drivers into a housing that can be placed inside the ear. Combined with a deep insertion the positioning is stable without need for external support. As you know, the memory wire just manages the cable.

The i4 transducer cannot simply be compressed and positioned like a standard IEM inside the ear. It must be fixed somehow external to the ear. The open design also needs some space between the driver and the ear canal so the eartips do not insert as deeply.

I agree with you that the ear hooks have significant issues, but they are what make the i4s possible at present. I'm sure the techs at Audeze will eventually come up with a better solution, but I'm really glad they released it once they had the transducer and earpiece figured out with workable support.

Yeah, I was thinking something like the Beats Powerbeats Pro or Bose Sport Open earbuds design. Heck, if they could make a detachable bluetooth earhook that is interchangeable with 2 pin or mmcx, that would be knocking it out the park and a instant buy from me. The dangly, ear ring looking controls of the Cipher bluetooth cable was a complete fail.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #4,153 of 4,795
Audeze has the Euclid…. They can’t make a form factor like that?
The Euclid is a different IEM with different sonic goals and therefore a different form factor. I'm sure they could make something like that in an open-back design–but, it wouldn't be the i4.

We all love the i4 for this amazing open sound that actually rivals full-size circumaural phones. To the day, I'm amazed that they were able to get it down to the size/form-factor they did.

Asking the Audeze engineers why they can't make the i4 in the form of a Euclid and still have it sound like the i4, is like asking Abyss engineers why they can't make an AB1266 in the form of a "normal" headphone. They tried. They came up with Diana. Diana's great, but it's no AB1266.

Form and function is art and science not wishing and wizardry (smile). Don't misunderstand me, if Audeze can get zoning to relocate their lab to Hogwarts, I'm all for it!

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #4,154 of 4,795
Don’t get me wrong, I get it. B-stock or not, you don’t drop four figures on IEM’s you don’t believe in. I was just spitballing some ideas.

Also there’s this: it’s entirely possible that this headphone is affected by the chip shortage and Audeze can’t get materials to keep building i4. Since they’re not a big company, they might ought to discontinue the product to focus on other products.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #4,155 of 4,795
I believe the LCD-i4 can be built entirely in house. They no longer have the lighting dsp cable so chip shortage is not applicable most likely.
Most likely LCD-i4 is end of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back