Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #256 of 4,795
In theory, could you use the Cipher cable to hook up the LCDi4s to an iPhone and then simply reverse out the EQ that is applied by default by the Cipher cable?
Theoretically, yes. In practice...

If it's a decent DAC/Amp and you can adjust its EQ to virtually 'neutralise' it, why not run a pair of LCDi4s from it?
Simply put, the LCD-i4 can't be driven properly by the Cipher cable to my ears. I wish Audeze had a Cipher that could make LCD-i4 shine straight from my phone, but they only come with the 3.5mm cable for a reason. Still, in the modern world of portable DAC/amps, there's no shortage of devices that can slot in between the phone and the LCD-i4.

OK, I know you'd lose the benefit of the silver plated cable but in theory, could it be done? Anyone want to try and report back?
I tried the LCD-i4 (pre-production) with the Cipher cable from the iSINE 20 that we have here. IMO - if you're planning to run straight from an iDevice with the Cipher cable, the iSINE 20 (or 10 if that's your sonic preference) is the best choice. They're made for each other, after all. If you're going to run it from a nice DAP or a good DAC/amp, I'd say go for the LCD-i4.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #257 of 4,795
What a wonderful surprise today...my review pair of the LCDi4 just arrived. I wasn't expecting them until next week. First off the packing is out of this world! The leather work on both the box and carrying case is on another level altogether! Size and fit is very much in line with the already brilliant iSINE20s, but again, things have kicked up a few notches. The included cable is brilliantly made and I think it should dissuade any idea of future cable upgrades. Now briefly on to the sound...it's like having much of the greatness of the full sized LCD-4s (one of my favourite headphones of all time) in a small portable package! The soundstaging is on another level for in-ear headphones. So far, so very satisfying sonically! More to come, but I can tell early on that this is going to be one fun review to do!

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #259 of 4,795
What a wonderful surprise today...my review pair of the LCDi4 just arrived. I wasn't expecting them until next week. First off the packing is out of this world! The leather work on both the box and carrying case is on another level altogether! Size and fit is very much in line with the already brilliant iSINE20s, but again, things have kicked up a few notches. The included cable is brilliantly made and I think it should dissuade any idea of future cable upgrades. Now briefly on to the sound...it's like having much of the greatness of the full sized LCD-4s (one of my favourite headphones of all time) in a small portable package! The soundstaging is on another level for in-ear headphones. So far, so very satisfying sonically! More to come, but I can tell early on that this is going to be one fun review to do!
Looking forward to your review. Mine should be coming next week I hope. The online store I bought them from is listing them as in-stock, but after I purchased them they e-mailed me to say they are awaiting stock. I reckon they're hording them for themselves...

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #261 of 4,795
For me, looks were deceiving.

The case isn't practical for mobile use. It's more for when you got a table or a third hand. You have to remove the ear hook or earlock each time you insert the LCD-i4 in its case. Now the earhooks can be lodged on the side of the insert case and you can just wrap the cable around as normal which also secures them so you won't lose them.

All this ain't practical. If you're standing, you hold your leather case, take out the insert case, hold both with same hand (i.e. left hand) while you uncoil the cable, then pick up the earhook parts and pull out the LCD-i4, all with your right hand. And at ANY moment, you better pray you didn't hold the LCD-i4 by the cable or be ready to rage when the 2pin connector slides out leaving your LCD-i4 to fall down to the floor. Always, always hold the lcd-i4 directly.
Cable might look good, but I had it slide out too often now. It even slid out when I was just walking normally, cutting out music from the left side.

I know applying sugru would be a workaround, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Does it leave smudges/residue? Can it be cleaned up completely with ease?

Would've been better to make the connector come out from the top for over the ear than worn down.

The Eidolic barrel connector I had on my Norne Therium gave a secure snug fit, but the 8 conductor cable itself was too heavy. It put too much weight down on the ear hook and at the tip for my ear. So I sold it.
I'm not waiting for the Onso "iect_03_bl4c" cable, 4.4mm gold plated, pure copper with 2pin rhodium plated. It was cheap enough and looks light. A fellow head-fier's using it with his Sine 10/20 and was happy with it. We'll see.
I'm planning to try out as many cables as possible at Canjam London.

Personally, I'm using a Pelican 1010 or 1020, leaving everything attached. Practical and reliable. Hold it in left hand, open it, take out the LCD-i4 with right hand, close the peli with latches by left hand only. Easy peasy, no risk of something falling down. It's just my point of view for someone using it on the go. I imagine the LCD-i4 was designed for indoor use, so you'd always have access to tables for putting stuff down.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #262 of 4,795
Since some people say that the lcd i4 needs good power to be driven properly is there somebody that tried the i4 with the questyle qp1r?
How does the lcd i4 compare to the lcd 2 and 3?
singled ended, I'm using it at 100-108volume outside on the Sony WM1A. I let my colleagues try it, and well I think they got some hearing damage, as they said that at max volume 120, they'd still want to pump up the volume.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #264 of 4,795

The case isn't practical for mobile use. It's more for when you got a table or a third hand. You have to remove the ear hook or earlock each time you insert the LCD-i4 in its case. Now the earhooks can be lodged on the side of the insert case and you can just wrap the cable around as normal which also secures them so you won't lose them.

All this ain't practical. If you're standing, you hold your leather case, take out the insert case, hold both with same hand (i.e. left hand) while you uncoil the cable, then pick up the earhook parts and pull out the LCD-i4, all with your right hand. And at ANY moment, you better pray you didn't hold the LCD-i4 by the cable or be ready to rage when the 2pin connector slides out leaving your LCD-i4 to fall down to the floor. Always, always hold the lcd-i4 directly.
Cable might look good, but I had it slide out too often now. It even slid out when I was just walking normally, cutting out music from the left side.

I know applying sugru would be a workaround, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Does it leave smudges/residue? Can it be cleaned up completely with ease?

Would've been better to make the connector come out from the top for over the ear than worn down.

The Eidolic barrel connector I had on my Norne Therium gave a secure snug fit, but the 8 conductor cable itself was too heavy. It put too much weight down on the ear hook and at the tip for my ear. So I sold it.
I'm not waiting for the Onso "iect_03_bl4c" cable, 4.4mm gold plated, pure copper with 2pin rhodium plated. It was cheap enough and looks light. A fellow head-fier's using it with his Sine 10/20 and was happy with it. We'll see.
I'm planning to try out as many cables as possible at Canjam London.

Personally, I'm using a Pelican 1010 or 1020, leaving everything attached. Practical and reliable. Hold it in left hand, open it, take out the LCD-i4 with right hand, close the peli with latches by left hand only. Easy peasy, no risk of something falling down. It's just my point of view for someone using it on the go. I imagine the LCD-i4 was designed for indoor use, so you'd always have access to tables for putting stuff down.

I have to say, I've had a very different experience than you with the case. I agree it is a little absurd that you need to remove the behind the ear hooks if those are what you use with the i4s, but I use the earlocks (the soft rubber pieces that fit inside your ear), which fit great with the i4s in the foam insert for the case. The leather case is definitely too big to shove in my pocket, but I like it wquite a bit as it is way smaller than a pelican case and it keeps the i4s well protected and the cable neatly sorted.

I also have not had the same issues with the loose cable connection. Mine fits VERY snuggly into the i4 housing and takes quite a bit of effort to remove. I found that the cable was very loose to insert up to about 80% inserted, but the last 20% to get the cable fully and flushly inserted was very snug. It is definitely not going anywhere. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I inserted it because I had to use effort to get the cable completely flush, but once I got it there, it hasn't gone anywhere. Mind you, I havent tried to switch the cable out for any others except for a quick test to seewhat the cipher cable sounds like (it works and sounds ok, but definitely doesn't push the i4s close to their full potential). But, at least on my i4, the cable fits super snuggly.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #265 of 4,795
@Cagin - This is not normal. The cable should fit snugly and you should have no problem. Check your PM.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #267 of 4,795
Do please compare them against other iems of various price points..esp the i-20... Looking forward to it.

These are indeed a step up form the iSINE20s (which offer stupendously good value). Likely the best universal-fit in-ear headphones I've heard yet!

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #268 of 4,795
My LCD i4 should arrive tomorrow, I can not wait to hear these babies. I will only use these bad boys on my home rigs.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #269 of 4,795
@Audeze
I received my brand new pair of i4's today, connected the cable, made sure the groove was oriented correctly, connected them to my iPhone 6+ and had no sound whatsoever on both sides, they were completely death. Tried other IEM with my iPhone and they were playing music so it wasn't my source. Removed the cable from both sides, carefully connected both ends again, and no sound. When I disconnected the cable, both sides fit snugly, and it didn't take much for the plastic caps that cover the 2-pin soldering to come unglued, on both sides. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong and wanted to ask if anybody else had this issue. I already sent a message to the Audeze Support Center describing the issue. My gut tells me that it might be just a faulty cable, so hopefully they will solve this issue quickly. Still a very disappointing experience.:unamused:
IMG_6397.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #270 of 4,795
That's a real shame :triportsad:.
I drove for an hour to pick up a new pair of 20s and the Cipher cable was dead. I believe Audeze run in all the drivers but I'm starting to wonder whether the cables are tested as well, otherwise how can they arrive dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back