Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
May 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,906 of 4,797
I use the same Van Nuys case with my LCDi4. They work wonderfully together. Nice photos.

I figured that I should use an actual hard case for the LCD i4's just to be 100% secure. So now the i4's go in a 1010 and the VD313 is for BA iems. Maybe I'm being needlessly cautious though.

May 16, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,907 of 4,797
Nice cable and great photos! What cable is that and is there any sound improvements over the stock cable?

Thanks! The cable is from alpha421 - PM him if you're interested.

As for sound, TBH I can't say since this is my only 2.5mm trrs to 2-pin cable, so I can only compare balanced vs. the stock cable on SE. The whole setup does sound amazing though...I guess I'll need to find a 2.5-3.5 adapter to figure out how much of that is the cable.

May 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,908 of 4,797
Thanks! The cable is from alpha421 - PM him if you're interested.

As for sound, TBH I can't say since this is my only 2.5mm trrs to 2-pin cable, so I can only compare balanced vs. the stock cable on SE. The whole setup does sound amazing though...I guess I'll need to find a 2.5-3.5 adapter to figure out how much of that is the cable.
Thanks, I might just do that

May 16, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,910 of 4,797
Will you link to the case please

Mine is the VD313 although AxelCloris might mean the VD823 since they're indistinguishable aside from a slight size difference.

The best way to order these in the US that I've found is through Jaben HK. I usually wait until I buy something more expensive from Derek and then add a couple Van Nuys items to the order. But even if you pay for Fedex shipping it's still cheaper than trying to find this stuff on eBay. I swear by Van Nuys cases and DAP pouches. Their stuff is always impeccable and well thought-out.

May 16, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,911 of 4,797
Will you link to the case please
Sorry, I don’t have a link for where mine was purchased. Someone I know was kind enough to pick it up for me at a local store when they were visiting Singapore. But like @Zhanming057 suggested, you can order it from Jaben HK.

http://www.jaben.com.hk/?product=vannuys-vd313

It’s large enough for the LCDi4 and two Moon Audio cables without feeling cramped.
A466B77B-2E08-4B17-8E3B-CA1EC38E3D28.jpeg

May 16, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,912 of 4,797
Sorry, I don’t have a link for where mine was purchased. Someone I know was kind enough to pick it up for me at a local store when they were visiting Singapore. But like @Zhanming057 suggested, you can order it from Jaben HK.

http://www.jaben.com.hk/?product=vannuys-vd313

It’s large enough for the LCDi4 and two Moon Audio cables without feeling cramped.

At first glance I thought this was $USD pricing and was considering just leaving the hobby all together. LOL- thank you for the link

May 17, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,913 of 4,797
I can’t seem to find this anywhere but for those that have Hugo 2 and Cipher Cable can you compare the differences? I have a Mojo and I much prefer the sound of the Cipher cable from my IPhone X and IPad as the EQ for me is fantastic. I even like the Cipher cable more than using Mojo on my MacBook Air with Reveal Plugin. The bass seems so much more full with the Cipher cable and I am definitely a bass head. I am just curious if Hugo 2 offers a significant step up in sound compared to Cipher to justify the cost. Thanks as always!

May 17, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,914 of 4,797
I can’t seem to find this anywhere but for those that have Hugo 2 and Cipher Cable can you compare the differences? I have a Mojo and I much prefer the sound of the Cipher cable from my IPhone X and IPad as the EQ for me is fantastic. I even like the Cipher cable more than using Mojo on my MacBook Air with Reveal Plugin. The bass seems so much more full with the Cipher cable and I am definitely a bass head. I am just curious if Hugo 2 offers a significant step up in sound compared to Cipher to justify the cost. Thanks as always!

Mojo is slightly warmer than Hugo2 so if you prefer the cipher to Mojo (because you love the warmth and ‘fullness’) then I would suspect the Hugo2 may not do it for you regarding tonality compared to the cipher cable. On the other hand Hugo2 is a significant step up regarding timing and precision, tonality aside (IMO).

May 18, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #1,915 of 4,797
After trying the i4 for a few weeks, they're definitely keepers - no way I'm giving them back! They're expensive, but we pay for performance, and IMO these are worthy of being called high-end. They don't make me not want to listen to my LCD-3 anymore, since the LCD-3 has its own dynamic sort of appeal and bass which is hard to beat, but the i4 does the beat the LCD-3 on detail. The ergonomics of the i4 aren't perfect for me, but by playing around with the hooks and aftermarket tips, it's no longer much of an issue. The only real 'complaints' I can make are that the cable should be 1' longer, and IEMs this expensive should come with a nice hardshell travel case. I've been using them with the regular cable, and am not finding EQ to be necessary.

May 19, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,916 of 4,797
the I4 is a magnificent product,they have eliminated my desire to lug full size HP's around...the only downside to me is comfort...i do not like the earhooks and wish there wass a better solution...when that is provided they will be close to perfect.....until the I4 v2 comes along lol

May 19, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,917 of 4,797
the I4 is a magnificent product,they have eliminated my desire to lug full size HP's around...the only downside to me is comfort...i do not like the earhooks and wish there wass a better solution...when that is provided they will be close to perfect.....until the I4 v2 comes along lol
Have you tried the rubber tube mod by @kubig123 ?
The hollow rubber tube acts as a sleeve for the ear hooks.
I am also using the same and the fit, comfort is perfect... no more sore ear pinna due to the constant force from
the ear hooks...
They really make a difference.
Here is the link to the post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...itor-discussion.850292/page-110#post-14022457

20180205_202826.jpg 20180205_202906.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,918 of 4,797
where does one get those ear hooks?

May 19, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,919 of 4,797
May 25, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,920 of 4,797
loving the I4's . I had a pair earlier last year which didn't sound great so got returned. Later bought again and got an awesome pair that sound great out of the box - not sure if the tuning changed somewhere along the way - but these sound great without EQ - the first absolutely needed it.

For me the are one of the few IEMs that still sound great at low volumes even though they are open back - ideal when wearing around the house and others need to get your attention

Love 'em - and the ear hook mod is definitely worth it - can easily wear for 12 hour stints - never listened to so much music in my life - and surely that's the main goal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back