Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,816 of 4,795
Can you compare a dragonfly red to the cipher cable v2 straight out of an idevice?
My Cipher cable is in the mail when I get it I can compare the two.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,817 of 4,795
Anyone using the Dragonfly Red with their LCDi4's? I have the Hugo 2 and it's outstanding with them but I'm also finding the Dragonfly Red to excellent with LCDi4's. I also listened to them with my FiiO X7 MKII and they sounded absolutely lifeless with my LCDi4's, I hated the this pairing.
Have you tried AM5 amp module for x7II with lcd i4?

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,818 of 4,795
Have you tried AM5 amp module for x7II with lcd i4?
No I haven't but I have the AM5 amp module and maybe that's the ticket. The AM3A module underwhelmed me with the IE800's I had as well. But with the AM5 amp module the IE800 came alive again maybe it'll do the same for the LCDi4's.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,819 of 4,795
I've always had trouble with the stock ear tips, the groovy ones. My right ear is ok, but the left always popped out regardless of the size used. I got some Comply Isolation 600 in today, and they are working a bit better. I think some treble might be lost, but the comfort is a lot better to make up for it.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,820 of 4,795
Help! Just picked the i4s up and I can't take them off - LOL.

Paired with a silver Lavricable (the stock Audeze cable became too loose to use) and the Hugo 2 fed from Roon (using EQ submitted by some HeadFiers), the sound is the most addictive sound I've ever heard. It also sounds great listening from the SP1000cu as a DAC.

:L3000:

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,821 of 4,795

Paired with a silver Lavricable (the stock Audeze cable became too loose to use) and the Hugo 2 fed from Roon (using EQ submitted by some HeadFiers), the sound is the most addictive sound I've ever heard. It also sounds great listening from the SP1000cu as a DAC.

Welcome to lcdi4 club. I feel the same even after 9 months of ownership. They never cease to amaze me. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,822 of 4,795

I just got the LCDi4 as well and it’s INCREDIBLE what you can get from a portable system now. There is a slight fix for the stock cable loosening. You need to email Audeze

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,823 of 4,795
Can you compare a dragonfly red to the cipher cable v2 straight out of an idevice?
Okay, I received my cipher V2 cable in the mail today and curiosity got the best of me. The cipher V2 cable powers the LCDi4's better than the dragonfly red IMO. Once I set my EQ preference on the cipher V2 and switched back to the dragonfly red a few things became obvious. The dragonfly red was super bright in the treble region, it lacked low end punch and the mids seems sucked out by comparison. Before I got the cipher V2 cable I was more than happy with the sound of the dragonfly red, not so much anymore. There's just something special about being able to tailor the sound of the LCDi4's to your liking and sitting back enjoying what you're listening too. I'm not saying LCDi4's need any help because they sound just as good when driven by good source such as the Hugo 2. But if you're in between getting an good amp/DAC the cipher V2 cable will serve you well especially if you own an iPhone.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,824 of 4,795
Okay, I received my cipher V2 cable in the mail today and curiosity got the best of me. The cipher V2 cable powers the LCDi4's better than the dragonfly red IMO. Once I set my EQ preference on the cipher V2 and switched back to the dragonfly red a few things became obvious. The dragonfly red was super bright in the treble region, it lacked low end punch and the mids seems sucked out by comparison. Before I got the cipher V2 cable I was more than happy with the sound of the dragonfly red, not so much anymore. There's just something special about being able to tailor the sound of the LCDi4's to your liking and sitting back enjoying what you're listening too. I'm not saying LCDi4's need any help because they sound just as good when driven by good source such as the Hugo 2. But if you're in between getting an good amp/DAC the cipher V2 cable will serve you well especially if you own an iPhone.

Does the cipher V2 cable already have preset EQ for the LCDi4 at default before EQing in the app?

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,826 of 4,795
Am I the only Focal Utopia owner who loves the LCDi4's as much?

I know they just came in the mail today, but man they are fantastic fed from my Benchmark DAC3 DX.

I also have some .78mm connectors coming to make balanced cables so I can have more output from my Sony WM1a, and also sent an email to Audeze to get a FREE cipher cable.

The WM1a can drive the LCDi4's unbalanced, but I have to have the volume turned to 120 (even with high gain mode on).

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,827 of 4,795

I know they just came in the mail today, but man they are fantastic fed from my Benchmark DAC3 DX.

I also have some .78mm connectors coming to make balanced cables so I can have more output from my Sony WM1a, and also sent an email to Audeze to get a FREE cipher cable.

The WM1a can drive the LCDi4's unbalanced, but I have to have the volume turned to 120 (even with high gain mode on).
No you are not. The LCDi4's are more headphone like than in-ear monitor. They are incredible at what they do.

I just got my cipher cable earlier this week and it has the potential to take the place of most mid-fi amps out there. It's that good especially if you have an iPhone.

They do scale well with high end gear. I love the LCDi4's out of my Hugo 2 and iDSD BL. But the cipher cable is more than adequate on it's own in case you were wondering.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,828 of 4,795

Nope, you’re not the only one. I rank them both highly and not too far off from each other.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,829 of 4,795
Just got my i4 today. Paired with the Hugo 2, I tried all of the tips, and my initial impression is that there's a significant lack of bass (I'm not a basshead, and the LCD-3 is my benchmark). Even when I press them into my ears to tighten the seal, the bass doesn't improve much. I'm wondering if none of the tips is a good fit for me. Has anyone else run into this issue? I don't know if burn-in is a real thing, but has anyone found that at least the impression of bass improves with time?

On the positive side, the clarity and detail are quite good, with vocals and acoustic instruments coming across in a natural way. The size of the stage is decent for headgear, but nothing special IMO so far (but I generally find that perceived stage generally increase with more perceived bass).

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,830 of 4,795
Just got my i4 today. Paired with the Hugo 2, I tried all of the tips, and my initial impression is that there's a significant lack of bass (I'm not a basshead, and the LCD-3 is my benchmark). Even when I press them into my ears to tighten the seal, the bass doesn't improve much. I'm wondering if none of the tips is a good fit for me. Has anyone else run into this issue? I don't know if burn-in is a real thing, but has anyone found that at least the impression of bass improves with time?
I

On the positive side, the clarity and detail are quite good, with vocals and acoustic instruments coming across in a natural way. The size of the stage is decent for headgear, but nothing special IMO so far (but I generally find that perceived stage generally increase with more perceived bass).
Should should be more bass with no seal at all. You can have them pretty far out. Try resting them on bottom of the outer cannel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back