Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,801 of 4,795
@Audeze - I have iLCD 4 (LCD 4); the plug in for osx is brilliant re EQ using Hugo 2. I have also a AK Kann and what would really helpful is the response function of the EQ used by you in dB, such that we do not need to second guess. Could you be so kind to your valued customers?

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,802 of 4,795
Kindly share the PMEQ settings for sp 1000. I use lcd i4 on my DAP without eq & audeze plugin on roon with hugo 2.
Thanks
This is a bit of tricky question when referring to the Ultima specifically. For starters, I have the Ultima Cu (not the SS I think most people have). Similar to the i4 without DSP, the Ultima has a laidback midrange which affects its transparency, especially considering its warmer low-end. Therefore I EQ it regardless of the iem, by primarily boosting the midrange and reducing the upper-bass. Furthermore, the AK's EQ is not particularly effective. This results in a ceiling effect where I can't adjust it any further for the i4 than I would with another player.

Maybe a better example would be my modded 1Z. A while back I passed on these settings to a different user. However, keep in mind it should be finetuned for each dap specifically according to the dap's signature and the user's preference. I would generally say the bass depends mostly on preference, while the treble will especially depend on the brightness of the dap's signature. For instance, my modded 1Z has a very different signature than the original, with an overall more analytical signature and brighter treble, bringing it closer to the Ultima SS than Cu. Therefore I would reduce more treble with the 1Z mod (or LPG), than with the original 1Z or Ultima Cu. But in the end it all comes down to preference of course. The most important for me is boosting the midrange between 2-4 KHz, and reducing the upper treble a bit.
31 +4
62 +4
125 +1
2 +4.5
4 +5.5
8 -3
16 -3

Thanks for following up. So I guess the next question for those of us who love the i4 sound and would like to get close to it in a traditional closed iem is what closed iem would you say gets closest to replicating the i4's sound in a sealed design? A corrolary to that is, what are the iems closest to the i4 in overall presentation/ signature, but Are slightly warmer. I realize these are not easy questions, but for this who love the natural holographic sound, impactful bass, and sparkly but unfatiguing treble of the i4, but want an isolating IEM that is either a little warmer, what gets closest. I ask because you have, probably more than just about anyone else on head-fi, analytically reviewed many if not most of the totl isolating IEMs available. Thanks in advance for your thoughts
This is another tricky question :)

In short, the i4 is a very unique iem that stands alone, and it is difficult to recreate that in a traditional iem, as its bass and note articulation for instance are very different. Best you can do is prioritize which features you find important and seek those in a traditional closed iem. For instance, iems as the aforementioned 5-Way and Phantom share a similar three-dimensionality when it comes to the type of stage they construct; wide and deep in even proportions. They also have a natural-sounding bass, although the i4's is less warm and lighter on its feet, resulting in an airier, more open stage. Most importantly, the other two are significantly warmer. For a more neutral tone with a roughly similar type of staging something like QDC Gemini, Zeus-XIV or Maestro V2 shares some similarities. However, they are more aggressive in their approach, while the Zeus' midrange is also a good deal more forward and denser. The i4 again has the higher quality bass, and especially after DSP correction a more natural timbre. So, there are no 'right' answers to this question, it really depends in what type of direction you would like to go.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,803 of 4,795
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,804 of 4,795
Fellow headfiers using lcd i4 with roon/ audirvana / other software and audeze plugin. What is the correct percentage of plugin to be applied? I am using 40 % on roon & 40-45 % with 0 gain on audirvana plus. I am using Hugo 2 with roon and audirvana.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Pz advice if further modification required? @KMann @Audeze
Thanks

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,805 of 4,795
these PMEQ settings are for sp 1000 or wm1z? what about the q value( default 2.0 )?

This is the EQ he came up on the 1Z. The SP1000 uses a 20 Band EQ and should give you more finer adjustment. But my friends tell me that the EQ on the SP1000 is as good as not engaging one.

But nothing wrong in giving it a go and seeing what happens. Q = 2, is slightly a medium-narrow band filter. You could use a Q = 1.5 for most of these frequencies. Except for the 8kHz and 16kHz, where you could go upto 1 or slightly less than 1, say 0.8.

Fellow headfiers using lcd i4 with roon/ audirvana / other software and audeze plugin. What is the correct percentage of plugin to be applied? I am using 40 % on roon & 40-45 % with 0 gain on audirvana plus. I am using Hugo 2 with roon and audirvana.
Thanks

There is really no right or wrong level. 100% is the full correction. I usually keep it somewhere between 80 - 100%. If you prefer it at 40%, then that would be the right setting for you.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,806 of 4,795
Thanks
Same as @EagleWings I keep it between 80-100%, but if 40% is your sweet spot (for me it was around 50% in the beginning), that's your setting!

I lower a bit the gain to -1.0 or -2.0 as I experienced some clipping in bass heavy tracks.

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,807 of 4,795
Same as @EagleWings I keep it between 80-100%, but if 40% is your sweet spot (for me it was around 50% in the beginning), that's your setting!

I lower a bit the gain to -1.0 or -2.0 as I experienced some clipping in bass heavy tracks.

Fully agree. It depends on what sounds right to you. However, that perception might change over time. I had a similar experience as Junix. I was used to the i4's uncorrected sound, which I liked quite a bit. So, at first, 50% seemed like a good compromise. It kept the native smoothness of the i4 while increasing its clarity and accuracy. However, after living with 50% for a while, I revisited the plugin a few months later and found mix settings between 80-100% more to my liking.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,808 of 4,795
these PMEQ settings are for sp 1000 or wm1z? what about the q value( default 2.0 )?
The settings are for modded 1Z, but it doesn't have a parametric EQ. With the Ultima I use similar settings, but I dont adjust the treble or bass as much, but I use these settings regardless of the iem.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,809 of 4,795
I am still shocked at how great the Audeze LCD i4 sounds. I have been busy moving and did not use the i4’s for over a month. BUT yesterday I hooked up the i4’s to my HUGO 2 and QP1R, and was pleasantly shocked at how great the LCD i4 sounds. The bass and smooth ass liquid mids are intoxicating.
Thanks for your reviews, Reddog. You pushed me over the edge to purchase the LCDi4's and I couldn't be happier. I usually use them with Mojo/Poly/Roon, but they also sound remarkably good with the cipher cable. My other headphones sound thin in comparison to the LCDi4's.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,810 of 4,795
Thanks for your reviews, Reddog. You pushed me over the edge to purchase the LCDi4's and I couldn't be happier. I usually use them with Mojo/Poly/Roon, but they also sound remarkably good with the cipher cable. My other headphones sound thin in comparison to the LCDi4's.
Glad you like the LCD i4”s, and I hope they put a smile on your face for a long time.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,811 of 4,795
If you have spent most of your budget on the i4 and looking for a good, reasonably-priced DAP to pair your i4 with, Shanling M3S is a very good option.

IMG_0236.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,812 of 4,795
smart way to covert the value from potential thefts but also from scratching the grills and the A logo :thumbsup::nerd:

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,813 of 4,795
He he he, thanks. Yea, just by the looks I think they’d be more interested in the M3S than the i4. I do miss the beautiful grill..

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,814 of 4,795
Anyone using the Dragonfly Red with their LCDi4's? I have the Hugo 2 and it's outstanding with them but I'm also finding the Dragonfly Red to excellent with LCDi4's. I also listened to them with my FiiO X7 MKII and they sounded absolutely lifeless with my LCDi4's, I hated the this pairing.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,815 of 4,795
Anyone using the Dragonfly Red with their LCDi4's? I have the Hugo 2 and it's outstanding with them but I'm also finding the Dragonfly Red to excellent with LCDi4's. I also listened to them with my FiiO X7 MKII and they sounded absolutely lifeless with my LCDi4's, I hated the this pairing.

Can you compare a dragonfly red to the cipher cable v2 straight out of an idevice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back