Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 11, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #6,331 of 6,820
would you guys say that overall lcd4 more popular or lcd5?

I'd say the LCD-4 is probably more of a legendary headphone in the audiophile community even today. It marks the end of an era.... the era where subjectivism was pretty much all we had and where the LCD-4 was designed PURELY to fulfill listeners in terms of these subjective qualities. As an LCD-5 owner though, I have to admire the accomplishment that is this headphone. The LCD-5 delivers audiophile sound in a comfortable package and with a tuning that is enjoyable out of the box for many listeners. What I think would be amazing is if Audeze offered a cable that could give them a bass shelf as I think this would solve a lot of the problems people are reporting in terms of the more clinical tuning of these cans. Or perhaps a choice of cables when running through checkout on the website... maybe one designed for fun listening and one designed for critical listening.

The LCD-5 seems to be blazing a new path for Audeze that culminates in more mass-market directed products such as gaming headsets like the Maxwell. Do I think LCD-5 will be talked-about in 10 years like some people are talking about the original HE-6 now? No. Do I think the tech from the LCD-5 will have tricked down to a much more affordable wireless noise-cancelling set competing with the likes of Sennheiser, Apple, Bowers and Wilkins and Sony? Quite possibly. In fact, if they could do it for under 2k with the aesthetic closer to their LCD-Origins (in a lighter weight and smaller form factor) with the real wood rings... then I feel everyone who has laid eyes on an LCD-2 will want a set. Assuming, of course, that some radically new transducer technology hasn't taken over.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #6,332 of 6,820
Magic! Today I don't hear any hum. It's definitely smth with the environment and not the HP.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,333 of 6,820
I can confirm, have the same issue. Got them recently, and the hum persists on 2 different setups.
1st - matrix x-sabre 3+bryston BHA-1
2nd - violectric V800+V200. The second is at my parents home, so they are completely different.
What I mentioned - on 1st setup It helps when I touch my PC case(note: x-sabre is NOT connected to that PC), the hum dissapears (like completely), on 2nd It dissapears when I touch the volume control on V200.
Hum changes when I move (increases/decreases) It is like 50-60Hz hum mostly.
Any suggestions ?
And yes, I did not have this issue with any other headphones (HD 800s, 650, 580, even etymotic )
https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/

Solved it for me. I think I discussed in more detail, just search for my posts and "ifi groundhog".

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #6,334 of 6,820
I'd say the LCD-4 is probably more of a legendary headphone in the audiophile community even today. It marks the end of an era.... the era where subjectivism was pretty much all we had and where the LCD-4 was designed PURELY to fulfill listeners in terms of these subjective qualities. As an LCD-5 owner though, I have to admire the accomplishment that is this headphone. The LCD-5 delivers audiophile sound in a comfortable package and with a tuning that is enjoyable out of the box for many listeners. What I think would be amazing is if Audeze offered a cable that could give them a bass shelf as I think this would solve a lot of the problems people are reporting in terms of the more clinical tuning of these cans. Or perhaps a choice of cables when running through checkout on the website... maybe one designed for fun listening and one designed for critical listening.

The LCD-5 seems to be blazing a new path for Audeze that culminates in more mass-market directed products such as gaming headsets like the Maxwell. Do I think LCD-5 will be talked-about in 10 years like some people are talking about the original HE-6 now? No. Do I think the tech from the LCD-5 will have tricked down to a much more affordable wireless noise-cancelling set competing with the likes of Sennheiser, Apple, Bowers and Wilkins and Sony? Quite possibly. In fact, if they could do it for under 2k with the aesthetic closer to their LCD-Origins (in a lighter weight and smaller form factor) with the real wood rings... then I feel everyone who has laid eyes on an LCD-2 will want a set. Assuming, of course, that some radically new transducer technology hasn't taken over.
They don't offer a cable that can do that, because there's no such thing as a cable that can do that. That's not how physics works.

If you want a passive device that can make an audible bass shelf, you need substantial inductors and resistors.

Source: I'm an electrical engineer and a speaker builder.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #6,335 of 6,820
They don't offer a cable that can do that, because there's no such thing as a cable that can do that. That's not how physics works.

If you want a passive device that can make an audible bass shelf, you need substantial inductors and resistors.

Source: I'm an electrical engineer and a speaker builder.
I mean... they have offered a cable that has done it in the past. And there are people who make cables like this on the internet check out DIY audio heaven. But yes, they use inductors and resistors and it isn't just a cable alone.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #6,336 of 6,820
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #6,339 of 6,820
Do you ever get used to the asymmetric ear pads?

They bug me and I feel like I'm constantly shifting them up/down/left/right as I try to get my ears to not touch any part of the pad.

Never had this issue/annoyance with my Focal Clear's.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6,340 of 6,820
Do you ever get used to the asymmetric ear pads?

They bug me and I feel like I'm constantly shifting them up/down/left/right as I try to get my ears to not touch any part of the pad.

Never had this issue/annoyance with my Focal Clear's.
They break in to fit your head after a month or so. Mine were hard / clampy in weird places when I first got them, now they are ultra soft and have an almost perfect seal (I wear glasses).

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #6,341 of 6,820
They break in to fit your head after a month or so. Mine were hard / clampy in weird places when I first got them, now they are ultra soft and have an almost perfect seal (I wear glasses).
I don't think they are hard/clampy (i guess i have a small head), its more just the sensation of them touching my ears. kind of like when you have a pair of shoes and your toes can just barely touch the front of the shoe.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #6,342 of 6,820
Separate question, how much amp do I need?

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC fs, a Torpedo III tube amp, and a Bijou OTL tube amp.

From the spec's, the Torpedo III is about half the mW of the RME, no idea on the Bijou as most of those reference websites are long gone.

The torpedo III sounds different than the RME directly, but not necessarily better in any real way that I can notice.
Haven't hooked the Bijou up in a while, but old reviews on an LCD-2 were not enthusiastic.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #6,343 of 6,820

From the spec's, the Torpedo III is about half the mW of the RME, no idea on the Bijou as most of those reference websites are long gone.

The torpedo III sounds different than the RME directly, but not necessarily better in any real way that I can notice.
Haven't hooked the Bijou up in a while, but old reviews on an LCD-2 were not enthusiastic.
I feel amplification for LCD-5 is not brought up in this thread much, but I have seen some people enjoy LCD-5 with DAC/AMPs like RME ADI-2 and Chord TT2 so what you have might be sufficient.

I would not use the OTL with the LCD-5. I have tried it with my OTL, and it sounded incredible distorted.

Personally, I have found the LCD-5 to shine with higher power offerings. The amps that I have enjoyed it with most are the Kevin Gilmore CFA-2 (balanced only CFA-3), Schiit Aegir, and AVA DVA M225 monoblocks. The latter two I mentioned are speaker amps that I also use for my desktop passive speakers, but they have a slight amount of noise when no music is played. I have also seen people mention that LCD-5 sounds amazing with Holo Bliss, which seems to align with this thought.

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,344 of 6,820

The LCD-5 scales with power, as do most planars. The best I have heard it was with a pair of monoblock NC400's, and it wasn't even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back