Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #6,302 of 6,824
Trick is getting it over your head while you listen.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #6,304 of 6,824
My review of the LCD-5 (and CRBN too) if anyone is interested.

I've deliberately stayed away from this thread until now. Have a bit of catching up to do...
Good on you for having the will power for this long! There's a lot of great content in the beginning of the thread, with guest appearances from Audeze engineers and the like. Thanks for the in depth review and comparisons!

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #6,305 of 6,824
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #6,306 of 6,824
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #6,309 of 6,824
My review of the LCD-5 (and CRBN too) if anyone is interested.

I've deliberately stayed away from this thread until now. Have a bit of catching up to do...
Love the excellent reviews for both different products.
Had the LCD2 in the past. Gave to my brother due to weight.
Finally, got a used LCD5 because of new comfortable weight. Sounds amazing so far using both ALO SS6 and WA6SE tube amp.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #6,310 of 6,824
That has been said many times, but is is amazing how well the LCD-5 takes EQ. I’ve been missing a bit of sub-bass after listening to an IEM with bone conduction (the Noble Audio KK), and after some tweaking around 75 HZ (taking advantage of the RME ADI-2 EQ options), voilá.

Anyway, I love the LCD-5 sound and its versatility.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #6,311 of 6,824
Just heard LCD5 last Saturday at the dealer store. To my ears, they are the best Audeze flagship to date. They are comfortable to wear, which is a huge bonus for me, and sound spectacular even without eq. The only downside is it is very picky at the source you connect to. I took my AK kann alpha and test in the store, the volume is certainly adequate, but feel a bit congested. But Utopia 2022 does sound excellent on Kann Alpha, even better on Chord Hugo 2. When connect LCD 5 to Chord Hugo 2, everything sound soo good. The problem completely fixed. My old plan is just get LCD5. But now, I have to save more money and get Hugo 2 together. To my ears, Focal Utopia 2022 still wins in terms of overall performance, but LCD 5 certainly wins the resolution.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #6,312 of 6,824
Yes it does. I have both Utopia (pre-2022) and LCD-5. The Utopia has more speed and dynamics (being a DD after all). And more intimate soundstage. The LCD-5 has the win on resolution. I find that I tend to reach for the LCD-5 over the Utopia although I much prefer the cable connectors on Utopia.

The LCD-5 does benefit from a stand-alone or a unit with more drive than the Hugo-2 which brings it closer to the Utopia in PRAT. YMMV

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #6,314 of 6,824
Others may chime in ; but I don't think anything in the 2k range would compare to the Hugo2 if that's the tonality you like.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #6,315 of 6,824
Other than Hugo 2, If you have a budget within 2k range, do you have any amp dac combo recommendations that can pair LCD 5 well and sound as good as Hugo 2?

They can scale quite a bit. I know you didn't ask me and I have no experience with Hugo 2, but if you're on a budget and not constrained to being mobile, i'd first look into Mitch Barnett's filter and/or HQP and whatever you can afford for dac/amp. Keep in mind with Hugo 2, you're stuck with the one built in filter and that's it. It might or might not be the one for you. Both Mitch's convo filter and HQP combined have qualities that have added to the synergy that reaches deep in the heart for me. Each alone doesn't get there and neither has any combo of equipment alone. Not to sound harsh or negative but the gear I have gone through have only gotten me so far. Without those two, LCD5 can still be a bit lifeless in this respect while sounding tonally great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back