Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,166 of 6,822
Just finding the right presentation in HQP is enough to change from being too sub bassy or vocals sounding recessed or less sharp or whatever. Even some combos can have a similar high energy effect as the Audeze filter. So many combos with many I like and many I don't. I even realized some of the filters I had to adjust volume. But, that sweet spot has been shifting with the recent changes. I found it a couple times in the last week and the next couple days was lost again whether burnin or mood or whatever. I feel the true test is finding it and making sure it's there on subsequent revisits through multiple tracks to see if it works for everything.
Just to elaborate a little on this point, HQPlayer choice of filters & modulators (DSD) or noise shapers (PCM) affect time-domain response (the amount of pre and post echo). This has an overall impact on Space, Transients and Timbre depending on the combo used. Because of this certain filters are also better suited for certain types of music, and some like gauss-long (etc) are jacks of all trades in this regard. Its been my experience that HQP yields better results by starting with a headphone that has already been EQ to personal preference (or one that doesn't need EQ at all) then choose filters based on genre & modulators based on CPU performance & best fit for the architecture of your DAC. You may notice more bass / energy by switching to certain filters but HQP wasn't designed as a tool to EQ. Its much easier to use a PEQ or convolution for that (or roll tubes to taste after you have everything else dialed in).

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6,167 of 6,822
I think I just faced my first ground loop issue. I was hearing pops (like vinyl pops if you've ever spun a record) throughout all my music. Switched headphone cables (Hart to Audeze stock), switched amps (Oor to HPA4), turned off EQ profiles, and restarted Roon and none of it worked. I then restarted my computer (my source) and the pops stopped.

Test was the first song off Hemispheres by Rush. At first I thought it was mic pops in the recording but I went to Pushit by Tool and it persisted. Is this a ground loop or is it something else?

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #6,168 of 6,822
I think I just faced my first ground loop issue. I was hearing pops (like vinyl pops if you've ever spun a record) throughout all my music. Switched headphone cables (Hart to Audeze stock), switched amps (Oor to HPA4), turned off EQ profiles, and restarted Roon and none of it worked. I then restarted my computer (my source) and the pops stopped.

Test was the first song off Hemispheres by Rush. At first I thought it was mic pops in the recording but I went to Pushit by Tool and it persisted. Is this a ground loop or is it something else?
Likely something else. A ground loop typically results in a persistent low hum.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #6,170 of 6,822

Test was the first song of Hemispheres by Rush. At first I thought it was mic pops in the recording but I went to Pushit by Tool and it persisted. Is this a ground loop or is it something else?
This on the Spring 3 or Biftost?

I’m assuming Bifrost since you sold the Spring 3, but on the off chance it was the Spring…

Happened occasionally on my Holo May KTE a handful of times during burn in. Cycling through inputs then back to USB would always fix it. (Releases the PLL then forces it to lock onto the signal again)

If this was the Bifrost it could be something similar but you needed to reboot or possibly switch/cycle through audio outputs on your PC to force it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #6,171 of 6,822

I had a similar problem with my system a little while ago and my issue was solved by plugging the USB cable, in between my PC and the DDC, in the PC side to another plugin.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #6,172 of 6,822
This on the Spring 3 or Biftost?

I’m assuming Bifrost since you sold the Spring 3, but on the off chance it was the Spring…

Happened occasionally on my Holo May KTE a handful of times during burn in. Cycling through inputs then back to USB would always fix it. (Releases the PLL then forces it to lock onto the signal again)

If this was the Bifrost it could be something similar but you needed to reboot or possibly switch/cycle through audio outputs on your PC to force it.
I think it's a Roon issue - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ge...ferent-devices-only-started-recently/221788/1 . There are 2 threads that list the same issue I had - the one I linked being the most recent.

in the PC side to another plugin
By plugin do you mean USB port on the computer?

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #6,173 of 6,822
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #6,174 of 6,822
I think it's a Roon issue - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ge...ferent-devices-only-started-recently/221788/1 . There are 2 threads that list the same issue I had - the one I linked being the most recent.
That tracks. I can’t even imagine how many “open” support tickets they have. I come across known issues from years ago that haven’t been solved from time to time.

I reboot Roon and HQP as a precautionary measure every morning just in case. I would hate to have to reboot my Mac Mini as well.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #6,175 of 6,822

Yes, actually when I was oc'ing using Intel XTU and Geekbench. I heard these pops. Closing HQP and Roon didn't solve it but only a reboot did.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #6,176 of 6,822
I went a couple weeks without listening to the LCD-5 because I was in a vinyl and stereo phase - variety is the spice of life after all. I somehow forgot how exceptional the bass is on this pair of headphones.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #6,177 of 6,822
Yeah. I'm afraid that if the Audeze guys are reading this, the LCD6 will be made with a hell of a lot of bass and no treble at all 🤣
In that case they'd have reignited my interest :D

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #6,178 of 6,822
Yeah. I'm afraid that if the Audeze guys are reading this, the LCD6 will be made with a hell of a lot of bass and no treble at all 🤣
I hope if audeze does an lcd-6 or lcd-5 closed-back that they’d give it a bass shelf. But given their design goals as they’ve outlined earlier in thread it just wasn’t in the cards for the LCD-5. 5 is all about speed, resolution, and neutrality. It seems to be the highest iteration of detail neutrality at all costs that they then put into a more affordable package to market to the pro audio world.

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #6,180 of 6,822
i feel like there's a lot of conflicting opinions about this headphone, more than what i normally see with other headphones, it's interesting

I mean, this headphone marked a big change in tuning for Audeze. From a SUPER relaxed tuning to a hyper-energetic tuning. Not everyone’s cup of tea. More like their double-shot of espresso…

I also think there’s a degree of unit variation which seems to affect the treble and upper-treble. Some units will sound more mid forward than others. Of course, until other people have shared their FR graphs we won’t know if there are any patterns to this or if it’s just a lottery. I will say, my unit does not sound too mid-forward. And reminds me a lot of my former set of HD600 with improved technicalities. I suspect most people will share this experience aside from the bass heads and slam heads who make up a chunk of the Audeze fan-base.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back