Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #5,836 of 6,785
The difference between the 3 and the 5 will be pretty massive; it probably won't be about just the bass. They are very tonally different, and the only way to know is to listen to the 5 and let your ears decide.

I very highly recommend listening to the 5 with the Audeze Roon preset (or by downloading the raw convolution filters which Audeze posted), and a 4-6dB bass shelf. But don't expect them to sound anything like the 3 or the 4s.
Where can we find the raw convolution filters posted by Audeze? Thanks.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #5,839 of 6,785
Also undecided whether I prefer the audeze preset. I perceive a slight loss of clarity at the expense of a warmer, more muted tonality vs the brighter, mid forward stock tuning.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #5,840 of 6,785
As someone who loves the LCD-3 but am thinking about taking up that Audeze trade up offer to the LCD-5, do you guys suggest this or is the tuning going to be that different? Who has done this upgrade and love it or hate it?

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #5,841 of 6,785
I have LCD-4 and LCD-5 as well as Cayin HA-300. I had LCD-3 also but they were too close to Fours for me (in overall sound) so I sold them. I think that with Cayin LCD-5 are wonderful, lifelike and very universal. The only thing that's lacking is the bass. It's detailed, it can be quite punchy, but on HA-300 (at least with Full Music 300B and Psvane TMII CV181) it's not as full and low as I'd like (and it can be much better on amps like Burson Soloist 3xp and Enleum Amp-23R).

If you like the sound of your LCD-3 on Cayin then LCD-5 may not be initialy for you (they'll be more bright, aggressive, in your face type of presentation). You'll need to readjust to this type of presentation. I would advice to stick with LCD-3 (or change them for LCD-4) and try to buy LCD-5 as another pair of headphones. I love LCD-5, maybe even more then 1266 TC (yet Enleum makes me discover them in another way). But if I had to sell all my cans except for one I would leave LCD-4 for their overall performance with Cayin and Holo May. Also they are just gorgeous.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #5,842 of 6,785
As someone who loves the LCD-3 but am thinking about taking up that Audeze trade up offer to the LCD-5, do you guys suggest this or is the tuning going to be that different? Who has done this upgrade and love it or hate it?
Like I keep saying, if you don't EQ then you should pass on the LCD-5.

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,844 of 6,785
I prefer mine without EQ…

Same. There's a (subtle) muted dark cloud with the Audeze Roon preset which I'm tossing up whether a slightly bright mid forward is the lesser of two evils.

Does anyone know if the Room preset is the Linear or (as I suspect) the other filter?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #5,845 of 6,785
Same. There's a (subtle) muted dark cloud with the Audeze Roon preset which I'm tossing up whether a slightly bright mid forward is the lesser of two evils.

Does anyone know if the Room preset is the Linear or (as I suspect) the other filter?

Not sure which one. I know I didn't end up loving either one but I wouldn't say I lost clarity. Maybe I am more sensitive to that area than others and why stock works for some and not others. Maybe it's the way it presents the music. Either way, I think it's important to tweak to taste and not take any tuning at face value straight up.

I wouldn't have found my magic place without exploring everything I had. If I had just plugged these in to the WA7 I had early on and thought that was it, i'd be in the same boat as the rest of those that sold it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #5,846 of 6,785

All the Audeze presets can be Linear or low Latency. You choose under advanced settings I believe it is called. Tab is bottom right corner, at least on Mac.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #5,847 of 6,785
Not sure which one. I know I didn't end up loving either one but I wouldn't say I lost clarity. Maybe I am more sensitive to that area than others and why stock works for some and not others. Maybe it's the way it presents the music. Either way, I think it's important to tweak to taste and not take any tuning at face value straight up.

I wouldn't have found my magic place without exploring everything I had. If I had just plugged these in to the WA7 I had early on and thought that was it, i'd be in the same boat as the rest of those that sold it.
I do run EQ when using the LCD-5 on Mojo2. The bass is a bit thin for my taste especially when driving at lower volume levels. My normal combo, which is without EQ, is DAVE into WA7.

as you quite rightly say you need to find what suits your own taste and don’t be afraid to tweak until you get it. That tweaking can be from different combinations of kit or EQ. The LCD-5 is very consistent in its presentation so modifying the chain on the way to the headphones is very deterministic.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #5,848 of 6,785
I have a Mojo 2 arriving later this week and plan to test my pair on them. Will let you know.

Wondering how you made out with the Mojo 2 and what you found comparing your Ferrum amp to a more modest source. Personally, I am considering purchasing the LCD-5 with a modest solid state amp (mojo 2 or jot + bifrost combo) and then looking into something from Amps and Sound later on. Do you think I’ll be missing out on much starting with a Mojo 2?

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #5,849 of 6,785
I prefer mine without EQ…
Same here. I do use the Roon Audeze preset at times but I personally have no need to EQ the LCD-5. I am always so impressed with the detail retrieval with these. Very impressive.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #5,850 of 6,785
Anyone running an LCD-5 through any Wells Audio Headphone Amps? Please let me know your thoughts. Cheers! 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back