Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #5,461 of 6,820
IMG_4562.jpg IMG_4564.JPG

(For those who don't believe in power conditioners and power cables, please ignore).

Thicc boiii. So I need to give the AQ Thunder a few days to settle in, but plugged into the Niagara1200, the space in between notes sounds larger than the AQ Blizzard. Blizzard does have a sweeter tone out of box which seems to mirror other users who have compared the two---but Thunder is more technical, both in micro and macro dynamics. I hear more energy to the point where I don't feel the need to turn the volume up as high. In fact i can drop my Ferrum to 0 db/unity instead of +db gain.

We'll see if I ultimately prefer Thunder to Blizzard for my LCD5 chain, as I have a strong preference for sweeter undertones- but I think that is where my incoming TWL XLR and power cord for the Ferrum could help rebalance.
My dude just said a power cable needed to settle in

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #5,462 of 6,820
Jun 11, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5,463 of 6,820
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #5,464 of 6,820

(For those who don't believe in power conditioners and power cables, please ignore).

Thicc boiii. So I need to give the AQ Thunder a few days to settle in, but plugged into the Niagara1200, the space in between notes sounds larger than the AQ Blizzard. Blizzard does have a sweeter tone out of box which seems to mirror other users who have compared the two---but Thunder is more technical, both in micro and macro dynamics. I hear more energy to the point where I don't feel the need to turn the volume up as high. In fact i can drop my Ferrum to 0 db/unity instead of +db gain.

We'll see if I ultimately prefer Thunder to Blizzard for my LCD5 chain, as I have a strong preference for sweeter undertones- but I think that is where my incoming TWL XLR and power cord for the Ferrum could help rebalance.

Wow! That is a whole other level of crazy.
I am rooting for your discoveries.

Curious, are you also using the same cable for your dac and amps and hypsos too?

I cannot imagine more of an improvement from what I am hearing now to the point of needing/wanting to spend thousands more.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #5,465 of 6,820
Wow! That is a whole other level of crazy.
I am rooting for your discoveries.

Curious, are you also using the same cable for your dac and amps and hypsos too?

I cannot imagine more of an improvement from what I am hearing now to the point of needing/wanting to spend thousands more.
I'll DM you to avoid giving the trolls additional ammo :beyersmile:. But yep, stock cables everywhere else, and switching one cable at a time to create a consistent baseline of what differences I am picking up.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,466 of 6,820
Once I connected the LCD5 to the Dave vs TT2 i no longer felt a need to EQ. Very good pairing.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #5,467 of 6,820
Once I connected the LCD5 to the Dave vs TT2 i no longer felt a need to EQ. Very good pairing.

Congrats on the Dave. Have you tried Mitch's or Audeze's Reveal filters yet?

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #5,469 of 6,820
I think I have tried most of the popular EQ settings but I keep moving back to the un-EQ'd sound.

Using the iFi iDSD Pro the sound bites like a boomslang and hits like a knobkerrie (you may need to Google both).

Definitely the best I have heard from a headphone setup except may be the Stax SR009S -> Woo Audio WES -> Nagra Tube DAC

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #5,470 of 6,820
Finally got my hands on a pair of LCD5's which I borrowed from a buddy

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #5,471 of 6,820
@EMINENT (and anyone else use stacking convolution files and PEQ in HQPlayer) In our case using a low shelf in addition to Mitch's convolution.

I was doing some reading last night and you'll want to include the headroom in the matrix settings rather than on the low shelf itself .txt file itself, that way it applies the setting to both the convolution and low shelf equally which run in parallel in the pipeline. It didn't change the plot at all after making this change but to my ears it does sound better. You can either remove the preamp setting from the .txt, or take it one step further as I did and remove the .txt file for the low shelf after you add the negative preamp gain to each channel. I removed the file and added the low shelf after the convolution by manually plugging it in (with a comma after the convolution, adjust yours to preference)
iir:type=lshelf;f=80;g=3.5;q=0.71

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.30.01 AM.png

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #5,472 of 6,820
@EMINENT (and anyone else use stacking convolution files and PEQ in HQPlayer) In our case using a low shelf in addition to Mitch's convolution.

I was doing some reading last night and you'll want to include the headroom in the matrix settings rather than on the low shelf itself .txt file itself, that way it applies the setting to both the convolution and low shelf equally which run in parallel in the pipeline. It didn't change the plot at all after making this change but to my ears it does sound better. You can either remove the preamp setting from the .txt, or take it one step further as I did and remove the .txt file for the low shelf after you add the negative preamp gain to each channel. I removed the file and added the low shelf after the convolution by manually plugging it in (with a comma after the convolution, adjust yours to preference)

I don't know man. What did you find? I'm afraid to put them back and on and getting sucked into a long listening session. lol.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #5,473 of 6,820
I don't know man. What did you find? I'm afraid to put them back and on and getting sucked into a long listening session. lol.

Just found out the attenuation should be in the matrix setting per channel. If you had it in the PEQ txt file like the one I provided earlier you’ll want to change it as outlined above. PM me if you have questions

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5,474 of 6,820
Finally got my hands on a pair of LCD5's which I borrowed from a buddy

the 4 is such a well made good looking almost elegant model

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #5,475 of 6,820

Users who are viewing this thread

Back