Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #5,162 of 6,785
I have the TT2. On my 2018 Mac mini, the hum went away with an iFi iDefender. I just bought a new Mac mini and the hum has completely disappeared.

The TT2 is fantastic with the LCD-5.
Grounding via purpose made leads is good as well as just connecting a Phono/RCA lead to another component. The Humming disappears when no longer heard in the LCD-5's once grounded and also when you can touch the casing of each Audio item in the system without hearing a humming noise.

May 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #5,163 of 6,785
Yikes. If I’m using a iPad Pro is humming still an issue?
You'll have to try it and let us know. Audeze's planar magnetics sometimes do this; it happens with my LCD-i4 on my Chord DACs (Hugo 2, TT, TT2) and the Woo Audio WA8. On the WA8, it goes away if I'm not plugged in and only using battery power. Then again, I think my apartment building has awfully dirty power; the dining room lights hum and I think the circuitry is old and cranky. It doesn't happen with other headphones/IEMs, only Audeze.

So you won't know until you try with your equipment at home. Not every one who has a Chord product gets the hum, and some get the hum with other products.

May 8, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #5,164 of 6,785
So which type of aftermarket cable has best synergy with the LCD-5, according to forum consensus, if there is indeed a consensus : copper or silver, if one must choose between those 2?

I've paired mine with a Norne Drausk (copper) and Norne Vykari (Silver/Copper fusion). Both sound great most of the time with different sources, but I remember a few moments when certain passages have sounded a little shouty on the Vykari pairing... I do not remember hearing this shoutiness on the all copper Drausk, so I am wondering what the experiences of others with copper and silver cables are, just for the sake of comparing notes

May 8, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #5,165 of 6,785
In the meantime, the release of LCD-5 presets for Roon would be nice. I thought they were due for April 2022.

An update on those the status of those presets would be great, right about now.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance to @KMann @Audeze

May 8, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #5,166 of 6,785
So which type of aftermarket cable has best synergy with the LCD-5, according to forum consensus, if there is indeed a consensus : copper or silver, if one must choose between those 2?

I've paired mine with a Norne Drausk (copper) and Norne Vykari (Silver/Copper fusion). Both sound great most of the time with different sources, but I remember a few moments when certain passages have sounded a little shouty on the Vykari pairing... I do not remember hearing this shoutiness on the all copper Drausk, so I am wondering what the experiences of others with copper and silver cables are, just for the sake of comparing notes
I also have the Vykari paired with the LCD-5 and it sounds quite nice. I need to compare the Norne Silvergarde S=3 to the Vykari.

May 9, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #5,167 of 6,785
To me, the stock cable is so great with the 5 tuning (it's still a 600$ cable...).

May 9, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #5,168 of 6,785
To me, the stock cable is so great with the 5 tuning (it's still a 600$ cable...).
Too true.... Stock Cable... in my case an XLR connection is brilliant.

May 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #5,169 of 6,785

Pure silver is a must (for my preference). To "neutralize" the forward mid, add treble response and giving more spacious soundstage. This suggestion coming from Copper lover.

Stock cable is a great copper cable. Not bad by any means, but darken the air in treble area too much.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #5,170 of 6,785
In the meantime, the release of LCD-5 presets for Roon would be nice. I thought they were due for April 2022.

An update on those the status of those presets would be great, right about now.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance to @KMann @Audeze
The EQ profiles have been finalized but waiting for graphics before we sent it out to Roon.

May 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #5,171 of 6,785
May 9, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,172 of 6,785
I liked thick copper better, although I usually favor pure silver. Arctic Cables Magnus complemented the sound of LCD5 very well to my taste.

May 9, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #5,173 of 6,785
The EQ profiles have been finalized but waiting for graphics before we sent it out to Roon.
Great news! Any chance you could fill us in on the parameter values?

May 9, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #5,174 of 6,785
Great news! Any chance you could fill us in on the parameter values?
Great idea. We're likely many months away from those actually becoming available to us in Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back