Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 20, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #4,531 of 6,783
It depends if the SP2000 has a good Current (mA) delivery at low impedances. Power isn’t just about total Watts. The lower the impedance the more difficult a headphone is to drive for a given sensitivity. It’s easier to push Voltage to a transducer than have enough Current. This is why some gear is Current limited and can’t perform well driving low impedance transducers. You may see an amp spec that shows lower power output in to lower impedances. This most likely is a Current limited amp.

A good guide to power requirements was posted earlier in this thread. If you can get the mA and V output specs of the SP2000 then it would be easy to correlate with the graph in the post below.
That graph makes it seem like you should never need 120db's worth of power because your hearing should not ever be subjected to anything as loud as 120db.
But i dont think thats right..
Some dynamic transients can be even 50db higher than your average listening level, reaching up to even 130db.
The thing is, these transients last only a very short amount of time.. just a few milliseconds.
At that point, it does not damage your hearing. And your ears do not percieve it to be as loud as you might think.
But it fills out the dynamics and makes them more realistic. Clipping them by not providing enough power can negatively impact the quality of the sound.
Now, you aren't going to be seeing dynamic transient peaks that high in most songs, but for high quality well recorded songs especially in certain genre's, you can reach much higher then 120db.

Have a read of this article from Audeze it explains this in depth: https://www.audeze.com/blogs/technology-and-innovation/sensitivity-impedance-and-amplifier-power

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4,532 of 6,783
Zeos didn't like the LCD-5. I was going to buy LCD5. Not so sure anymore.
Audition them for yourselves. Zeos said the May makes no difference to his setup, but I have a May and it is NOTICEABLY different from my D90SE. Big differences in timbre and dimensionality.

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #4,533 of 6,783
So much voodoo gibberish here...🤢

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,534 of 6,783
Audition them for yourselves. Zeos said the May makes no difference to his setup, but I have a May and it is NOTICEABLY different from my D90SE. Big differences in timbre and dimensionality.
Zeos Famously HATES super detailed headphones. So take that how you will.

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #4,535 of 6,783
He also hates,
agreeing with other reviewers!

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #4,537 of 6,783
That graph makes it seem like you should never need 120db's worth of power because your hearing should not ever be subjected to anything as loud as 120db.
Some dynamic transients can be even 50db higher than your average listening level, reaching up to even 130db.
The thing is, these transients last only a very short amount of time.. just a few milliseconds.
At that point, it does not damage your hearing. And your ears do not percieve it to be as loud as you might think.
But it fills out the dynamics and makes them more realistic. Clipping them by not providing enough power can negatively impact the quality of the sound.
Now, you aren't going to be seeing dynamic transient peaks that high in most songs, but for high quality well recorded songs especially in certain genre's, you can reach much higher then 120db.

Have a read of this article from Audeze it explains this in depth: https://www.audeze.com/blogs/technology-and-innovation/sensitivity-impedance-and-amplifier-power
A gunshot‘s initial sound lasts milliseconds, and I don’t like my music as loud as a gunshot on dynamic peaks. That’s my preference and not anything to do with the reason I posted the graph from @Torq. Yours, and others, preferences may be different.

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #4,538 of 6,783
Zeos Famously HATES super detailed headphones. So take that how you will.
Zeos gave meh/negative reviews for headphones that i've owned and loved (focal clear, arya, verite, and lcd-5) and good reviews for headphones that I didn't like. I watch z reviews for entertainment but not for purchase advise. If anything I will start buying headphones that zeos hates as I will probably like them.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #4,539 of 6,783

HaHa , Spring 3 KTE is audibly different from D90 (AK4499) too.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #4,540 of 6,783
I also have a may and a d90. The difference between the 2 is just ridiculous. Zeos has been dead to me since that review and I haven't watched a single review since lol

His advice is just straight up terrible :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #4,541 of 6,783
Does anyone here,
also have noise on the "hanging"?
20220218_142608.jpg

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #4,542 of 6,783
It depends if the SP2000 has a good Current (mA) delivery at low impedances. Power isn’t just about total Watts. The lower the impedance the more difficult a headphone is to drive for a given sensitivity. It’s easier to push Voltage to a transducer than have enough Current. This is why some gear is Current limited and can’t perform well driving low impedance transducers. You may see an amp spec that shows lower power output in to lower impedances. This most likely is a Current limited amp.

A good guide to power requirements was posted earlier in this thread. If you can get the mA and V output specs of the SP2000 then it would be easy to correlate with the graph in the post below.
You can use your ears.

Firstly, you will need to have a balanced cable which isn't the default offering on the LCD-5 as the balanced output on the SP2k has more power than the single ended output.

I would say 'yes, it could run the LCD-5 but not to full potential"

I only listened for a very short time before changing the source. It just wasn't as good as it could / should be.

SP2K into the Cayin C9 works fine.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #4,543 of 6,783
Since days I'm hearing with the oratory1990 EQ profile but I changed bass shelf from 5.5dB to 3.5dB.
It's too much bass for me. Don't like exactly Harman was also the case with Stealth. To much in the lower register a little bloated.

Feb 25, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #4,544 of 6,783
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3.
New golf partner for the LCD-5.

IMG_3897-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #4,545 of 6,783

How can transients up to 120dB exist in a music track that only has dynamic range of 9dB and played at 85dB nominal?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back