Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #4,516 of 6,785
Same, i think the band itself is a touch "wider" so it doesn't have such a strong clamp force. It no longer pushes against my ears so hard but instead is "snug". love it. I do have to adjust the headband one notch higher than the previous headbands.
I moved the headband a notch higher as well. I feel like the sound opened up and feels less congested with the new position.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #4,517 of 6,785
I think the analog section of most DACs are where the difference is. Unless someone feels all amps sound the same. In which case I have nothing more to share. Debate is good, arguing with a wall is a waste of time.

I just demoed the Weiss 502 DAC. A $10,000 piece of equipment, which I didn't find any better than my Yggdrasil. I actually thought the Yggy sounded more spacious. But they certainly soounded different. Of course quick switching between DACs or amps is a terrible way to compare. You have to listen for a while to pick out the subtlteties.. Your brain has to get past the initial wow factor if you will. Like seeing the fine details in a picture.
I think you should demo for an extended period. You may find the Weiss DAC502 grows on you. I was really impressed with what I heard and what it was able to do. So much so that I have moved on from my TT2. I kept the Mscaler and when I use the 502 with it is a very natural analogue-sounding combo. One of the best I have heard. It has been a while since I heard the Dave, but from what I recall it is right up there. I amp it with an etude and that is a match made in heaven - for all of my headphones (with the Weiss easily toggling output power to match the needs of each head phone). I cannot say enough about this Dac, not sure why thee isn't more noise about it (perhaps the price tag involved)

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #4,518 of 6,785
I demoed it for a week. But I honestly really like Multibit sound. I had a Metrum dac before the Yggdrasil and like the spaciousness of its sound. I tried a Dave and it was very similar to the Weiss. Nothing against either of those but just not my preference. The features of the Weiss are very impressive however. Definitely worth consideration.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #4,519 of 6,785
Do not kill me for asking this Q, but will something like the SP2000 AK DAP be able to run the LCD4 or LCD5?

I sold my whole chain to remove clutter as I am now always on the move and using just IEMS made me miss headphones for a bit.

Old Chain:
Dave, Scaler, AIC10, Abyss TC

If the SP2000 can power the LCD 4 or 5, that would be amazing.

*crosses fingers*

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #4,521 of 6,785
Do not kill me for asking this Q, but will something like the SP2000 AK DAP be able to run the LCD4 or LCD5?

I sold my whole chain to remove clutter as I am now always on the move and using just IEMS made me miss headphones for a bit.

Old Chain:

*crosses fingers*

LCD-4 no.

LCD-5, loudness wise, yes. However do not compare it to some desktop set up with the same price range. Actually for DAP I still hold fiio M17 as the best dap for full size headphone.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,523 of 6,785
Apparently you don't read here ...

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,524 of 6,785
I moved the headband a notch higher as well. I feel like the sound opened up and feels less congested with the new position.
So it is not just me. I think the fact it's less pushed against the ears, the sound does open up.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #4,526 of 6,785
Zeos didn't like the LCD-5. I was going to buy LCD5. Not so sure anymore.
I like the guy, but he was smoking some serious crack or the headphones didn't jive with his musical selection. I've had no issues he was crying about, so it makes me go "hmmmmm"....

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #4,527 of 6,785
Zeos is entertaining, but I wouldn't rely on him for subjective reviews. I would check out some other reviewers as well.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #4,530 of 6,785

Old Chain:

*crosses fingers*
It depends if the SP2000 has a good Current (mA) delivery at low impedances. Power isn’t just about total Watts. The lower the impedance the more difficult a headphone is to drive for a given sensitivity. It’s easier to push Voltage to a transducer than have enough Current. This is why some gear is Current limited and can’t perform well driving low impedance transducers. You may see an amp spec that shows lower power output in to lower impedances. This most likely is a Current limited amp.

A good guide to power requirements was posted earlier in this thread. If you can get the mA and V output specs of the SP2000 then it would be easy to correlate with the graph in the post below.

Power/drive requirements for the LCD-5 for those that are interested:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back