Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,567 of 6,785
While there was an image or two I wouldn't have minded dwelling on, the fast transitions can be very uncomfortable to people who may be prone to seizures. That's why I don't watch TV anymore...fast cut editing triggers migraine headaches for me. Not fun.
But I do understand the Burn-In Experience metaphor... :wink:
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

...(Im)patiently waiting for mine! :popcorn:

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,568 of 6,785
what do you think about how well LCD-5 would play with tube amp on 2A3? I loved LCD-4 before with transistor amp - but my Viva Egoista 2A3 was too weak for them as well as for Susvara, 1266 ect. But it was good with LCD-4Z, VO, Empy, probably HE1000se (but maybe they are not 100% good as they can be here, I am not sure). what about LCD-5 - should I tried it in my system?

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,569 of 6,785
what do you think about how well LCD-5 would play with tube amp on 2A3? I loved LCD-4 before with transistor amp - but my Viva Egoista 2A3 was too weak for them as well as for Susvara, 1266 ect. But it was good with LCD-4Z, VO, Empy, probably HE1000se (but maybe they are not 100% good as they can be here, I am not sure). what about LCD-5 - should I tried it in my system?
They play very well with my WA33. I will be purchasing KR 2A3 HP quad during BF and expect even better sound when they are put in play.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,570 of 6,785
The LCD5 isn’t that hard to drive so I suspect should do ok

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,571 of 6,785
What @Resolve said at the end of his video? There are other headphones for lower price which sounds better then LCD-5 without EQ.
When someone has no problems with EQ it's maybe a good way to go but for me it is not my way I want to go.
Wow.

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,574 of 6,785
They play very well with my WA33. I will be purchasing KR 2A3 HP quad during BF and expect even better sound when they are put in play.
How about your Liquid Gold amp? Any impressions on the LAu vs the WA33 for the LCD-5?

My source is Roon on Mac Mini -> Chord M Scaler -> Chord Hugo TT 2. I traded in my LCD-4s and am waiting for my 5s to ship. My LAu is on break as the CMS/TT2 are fairly new and I was thoroughly enjoying the 4s straight out of it, but I've gotten hooked on that velvet Audeze sound and I'm tempted to try a tube amp.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,575 of 6,785
At the moment, I'm keen on being able to properly simulate a room full of speakers in a 7.1 array. It really helps with video games and movies in particular, as the directionality is something that no headphone can convey no matter how large a soundstage or brilliant the imaging is. There is no replacement for actual audio information placed properly in a 360 degree horizontal circle around your listening position. So if you want to hear something being truly behind you, you need virtual surround on ytour headphones. I'd take a $15-$20 Koss KSC75 with virtual surround over an HD800 in 2ch/stereo for my gaming purposes, every single time. That's how important virtual surround is in object placement location. That KSC75 will simulate a room with speakers, while the HD800 is just gonna sound like a headphone with a large headphone soundstage. No headphone will sound as large as a room with speakers, which that little Koss KSC75 is simulating.

I have a few that I think really showcase the strength of virtual surround based DSPs.

1. Redscape Audio - This one is my current fave. You can also get it with a headtracking dongle, which if you've heard the Audeze Mobius with Waves NX headtracking, it's similar to that, but for any headphone.

2. Creative's SXFI - This is one of Credative's newer surround implementations, and I actually think is the mosty convincing, but it's also quite processed sounding, so it may turn off a lot of people unless (as we discussed) you allow your ears to adapt to the change. SXFI is available on many devices that Creative makes, though not sure on software based solutions.

3. Waves NX - Particularly on the Audeze Mobius, it's really quite immersive and gives you an easy all in one solution with headtracking.

4. Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head - This one is quite pricey, but you get a bunch of different real life venues, studios, home setups recorded and simulated on your headphones. It's quite brilliant, as you get to hear what they sound like on your headphones. Again, it's pricey.

5. Creative SBX - Creative's other surround implementation, I feel this is the best for people first getting used to virtual surround, as it is the least processed. It still does a fine job emulating surround properly, without it sounding too processed. This is the first choice I'd give any newcomer. It's found on some Creative hardware like the Creative X7, and G6. The great thing is that you can send that surround emulation digitally through optical out to another, better DAC if you wanted. Or just use these as a DAC to a better amplifier.

6. Sennheiser GSX - This is one of the best, but it's tied to some Sennheiser hardware that I feel limit its potential.

I should add that Xbox now utilizes Dolby Atmos at the hardware level, and Sony Playstation 5 uses Tempest 3D audio, both which when properly utilized, are great alternatives to the above. Tempest 3D audio can be finicky when things don't properly support it however, so definitely only use it with PS5 games, not so much older PS4 games.

I should note that I don't use these things for music, or 2ch content. I only use it with properly encoded 5/7 channel sources. Meaning, mostly video games, and movies.
I’m wondering: are these ranked in order of surround quality?

What is it that makes the Sennheiser hardware so stifling?

When you say Creative’s SXFI is the most convincing, is this out of the hardware, or all?

Is the SXFI “processing” affecting the soundtrack’s timbre or spatially?

I got the GSX6, but the side and rear surround didn’t do it for me. I’m trying my best to avoid the Smyth 😆

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2,576 of 6,785
I am reluctant to make any comparisons as my system is not at it's best. In a bad set of coincidences this all happened at roughly the same time.
1) I sold off my EML tubes after horrible warranty service from EML. This put my WA33 out of service
2) The LCD-5 came in and I started to listen using the Lau.
3) Immediately my DHC Prion4 cable went bad and got sent off for repair.
4) I sold the Audeze balanced cable the day before the Prion4 went bad.

So I was left with the SE out of the Lau. The Lau is the best SS amp I have heard as long as you are using balanced. It is not near as good SE. I then bought a quad of cheap Sovtek which now have maybe 20 hours on them. Probably not burned in and definitely not up to the level of the EMLs nor the KRs I intend to buy.

I also was not initially happy with the LCD-5 and spent a lot of time listening hoping they or my brain would burn-in. I did not really begin to appreciate the LCD-5 until I began to use @Resolve 's EQ.

All of the above is my way of saying I have not heard the best of the LCD-5 yet as my system has been in the dumps. Any comparisons would be faulty.
How about your Liquid Gold amp? Any impressions on the LAu vs the WA33 for the LCD-5?

My source is Roon on Mac Mini -> Chord M Scaler -> Chord Hugo TT 2. I traded in my LCD-4s and am waiting for my 5s to ship. My LAu is on break as the CMS/TT2 are fairly new and I was thoroughly enjoying the 4s straight out of it, but I've gotten hooked on that velvet Audeze sound and I'm tempted to try a tube amp.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,577 of 6,785
I’m in very similar situation as the LCD5s
we’re sent with default se cable with 1/4” plug and I don’t have any balanced cable with mini xlr. I have been listening with dCS Bartok headphone edition which is adequate but lacking in some areas. The Bartok can almost drive the Susvaras which is surprising. So far, the LCD5s are not disappointing… I definitely hear the prominence in the upper mids compared to the susvaras which will be interesting for listening to operas I like.

I do have an audeze premium balanced cable coming in this or next week for my better system. Believe it or not, someone here posted that the best cable for the susvaras are sennheiser ch700s and since they are reasonably priced and not in the thousands, I ordered one as well to compare with silver dragons.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #2,578 of 6,785
I’m in very similar situation as the LCD5s
we’re sent with default se cable with 1/4” plug and I don’t have any balanced cable with mini xlr. I have been listening with dCS Bartok headphone edition which is adequate but lacking in some areas. The Bartok can almost drive the Susvaras which is surprising. So far, the LCD5s are not disappointing… I definitely hear the prominence in the upper mids compared to the susvaras which will be interesting for listening to operas I like.

I do have an audeze premium balanced cable coming in this or next week for my better system. Believe it or not, someone here posted that the best cable for the susvaras are sennheiser ch700s and since they are reasonably priced and not in the thousands, I ordered one as well to compare with silver dragons.
How are the Harbeth PSESR? Do you use them on desktop/PC?

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #2,579 of 6,785
Hey there, you may have read my post as I use CH700S on Susvara. Just out of courtesy, the termination is 2.5mm therefore only compatible with the older plug Susvara. Don’t want you to waste your time getting something that does not fit.

Cheers!

Also, did some listening today with my LCD5 and what a technical performer it is.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #2,580 of 6,785
Can someone please confirm whether the LCD5 and LCD4 cables are the same? Audeze told me the only difference between these cables was the appearance.

However the Headfonia review states that the LCD4 is a 20AWG silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper cable. Whereas the cable that comes with the LCD5 is a new directional OCC high-purity copper cable.

Audeze is currently selling both cables on the same product page which if true is a bit confusing and they make no mention of any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back