Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,536 of 6,787
Thanks, that's very informative. No worries, I just got out of the weeds, i've had enough for quite a while :) . Just to keep this on-topic, sounds like you also agree that the chain does matter :)
The chain matters to the extent to which it matters to you. LCD-5 will still sound very good out of a much simplified chain such as a battery driven laptop pugged to a Chord Hugo2, I will be very happy with this if that was my only option. It comes down to how far one is willing to go chasing whatever one is chasing, there are benefits to be had and costs to be incurred.

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #2,537 of 6,787
I simply do not have enough time to keep up with this thread. The daily amount of posts is simply insane.

In a way I guess it says a lot about the interest in the LCD5.

Currently I run RME-ADI2 and Soloist 3XP with super charger. My impression is this would be a minimum setup for the LCD5. Perhaps I should stay happy with my D8K. While I absolutely love Audeze sound, I am not sure if my current system would bring out the most of the LCD5.
I think you should be OK (?) based on this earlier post. Using XLR out and high gain settings.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,539 of 6,787
I'm using mine with the Denafrips Ares II + A90 medium gain 2 o'clock sounds fullest.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,540 of 6,787
I simply do not have enough time to keep up with this thread. The daily amount of posts is simply insane.

In a way I guess it says a lot about the interest in the LCD5.

Currently I run RME-ADI2 and Soloist 3XP with super charger. My impression is this would be a minimum setup for the LCD5. Perhaps I should stay happy with my D8K. While I absolutely love Audeze sound, I am not sure if my current system would bring out the most of the LCD5.
There's only one way to find out. I'm pretty sure you can sell it with very little monetary loss if it doesn't work for you in your rig.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,541 of 6,787
So I finally had a chance to hear the LCD5 and the CRBN. I went to the Capitol Audiofest this morning for an hour (going back again on Sunday when I can spend a lot more time). I wanted to sneak in before the crowds and got lucky the Audeze table was empty, they had 2 LCD5, LCDX, and CRBN. So I was able to listento each as long as I wanted and the 2 Audeze reps were super nice and when I told him I was coming back Sunday he told be to bring my LCD4 so I could do some A to B comparison which I plan to do. When I was leaving their both he tossed me a tee-shirt and said thanks for stopping by.

So I am more a home audiophile but appreciate quality headphones that sound close to high end speakers and although I now have a dedicated room with my audioequipment its nice late in the night to be able to use headphones. I am no expert reviewer, but I have owned LCD2, X, and my LCD4 so I am familiar with Audeze.

Everyone has different tastes so IMHO these are my observations:
Appearance - they are high quality like all Audeze headphones, but I think the LCD4s looks more expensive as the chrome and gloss finish on the carbon fiber have shiny bling to it
Weight - I am 6FT 220 with an 18 1/2 inch neck (former D1 strong safety) so you could add another 2 pounds to the LCD4 and I would not notice LOL! you can physically feel that the 5 is lighter but weight was never an issue for me
Fit - I have a medium sized head so I could feel a tad more clapping force but was comfortable and no issue for me
Sound - Subjective, but definitely more unveiled then the 4 and vocals (Diana krill) were very clear and cymbals shined a bit more but I was not overwhelmed to the point I felt I was hearing notes and sounds that I never heard before (also there was a good bit of background noise in the room), Bass is there but I think the 4 have better bass to as it has more weight to it, but the 5 had tight and fast bass.

CRBN - wow that was overwhelming, just really nice smooth sounding headphone and when you increased the volume it never got shouty just a louder smooth sound and the bass does kick a bit. I see why people love them. I wish the investment wasn't so expensive for the HP and power supply (and I have to much money in my home audio) but its worth the price from what I heard in 20 minutes:relaxed:

Audeze was using a Hugo II, but I went to another HP station that had the 5 playing through a RAAL PDA1 and i though it sounded better then the first pair I heard. Cant wait to go back and listen so more. From what I heard so far today, not sure I am ready to get rid on the 4 and having both would be ideal, cant wait for Sunday....:smile:

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,543 of 6,787
The chain matters to the extent to which it matters to you. LCD-5 will still sound very good out of a much simplified chain such as a battery driven laptop pugged to a Chord Hugo2, I will be very happy with this if that was my only option. It comes down to how far one is willing to go chasing whatever one is chasing, there are benefits to be had and costs to be incurred.
I agree, I was happy with a Mojo for many years, and still am if i take a break from my main system for about a week. I could say the same about the headphones as well, but hope the LCD-5 really are that much of an improvement. And yes, mains noise is a pain in the ass. There's 2go for that now though.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2,544 of 6,787
CRBN - wow that was overwhelming, just really nice smooth sounding headphone and when you increased the volume it never got shouty just a louder smooth sound and the bass does kick a bit. I see why people love them. I wish the investment wasn't so expensive for the HP and power supply (and I have to much money in my home audio) but its worth the price from what I heard in 20 minutes:relaxed:
What was the CRBN on?

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,545 of 6,787
The idea of 'tuning' a headphone with a specific Amp/DAC is a bit exaggerated (at least here at Audeze, I can't talk for other manufactureres), more often than not it is the other way around where an amp is developed to showcase the best qualities of a headphone. Preferably an amp or a DAC does not change the tonality of a headphone too much, after all they are supposed to measure flat within a fraction of a dB across the spectrum (with some exceptions <snip snip>
Just wanted to say: "appreciate your contributions." Very even-handed and informative. TU.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,546 of 6,787
I wonder how these will compare to the upcoming sr-x9000 from Stax. It seems like they could be in direct competition here.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,549 of 6,787
20211106_140329.jpg

back with few more impressions:

so was there any noticeable changes after burning in the LCD-5 in for 200 Hours?

The answer is a Big Yes!! :3

things that changes are:

1- Separation: the space between bass, mids and treble seems to be better than before, mostly because bass settled in IMO.
2- Imagining: easier to locate and spot details and ton of it compared to when the headphone had less than 20hours.
3- Bass: not as impactful but gained more control and tightness, while speed is still the same.
4- Mids: not as forward/shouty as before but still very mid centric.
5- not as Fatiguing: fun while i can enjoy music for even longer sessions without feeling fatigue, was very noticeable too.

so did all these changes made want to EQ? the answer is no. i love LCD-5 the way it is. i am the kind of person that like to have two headphones, ones which compliment each other, and hopefully Diana Phi (still on the way) will be LCD-5's perfect match, or so do i hope.

Abyss TC and Susvara are fun but not my cup of tea, but this doesn't mean there are better or worse. its all about preference.

there is no perfect Headphone, each one made to preform a few roles but never all of them.
for me LCD-5's is here to give me best mids/vocals without losing details on bass or treble. its really such a good headphone and really shines with my setup.

Don't let one tell you LCD-5 is good or bad. just try them out and see, is it your cup of tea? if not simply move on and try other headphones instead of fighting about EQ in the thread.

Let your Ears be the judge. :L3000:

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #2,550 of 6,787

back with few more impressions:

so was there any noticeable changes after burning in the LCD-5 in for 200 Hours?

The answer is a Big Yes!! :3

things that changes are:

1- Separation: the space between bass, mids and treble seems to be better than before, mostly because bass settled in IMO.
2- Imagining: easier to locate and spot details and ton of it compared to when the headphone had less than 20hours.
3- Bass: not as impactful but gained more control and tightness, while speed is still the same.
4- Mids: not as forward/shouty as before but still very mid centric.
5- not as Fatiguing: fun while i can enjoy music for even longer sessions without feeling fatigue, was very noticeable too.

so did all these changes made want to EQ? the answer is no. i love LCD-5 the way it is. i am the kind of person that like to have two headphones, ones which compliment each other, and hopefully Diana Phi (still on the way) will be LCD-5's perfect match, or so do i hope.

Abyss TC and Susvara are fun but not my cup of tea, but this doesn't mean there are better or worse. its all about preference.

there is no perfect Headphone, each one made to preform a few roles but never all of them.
for me LCD-5's is here to give me best mids/vocals without losing details on bass or treble. its really such a good headphone and really shines with my setup.

Don't let one tell you LCD-5 is good or bad. just try them out and see, is it your cup of tea? if not simply move on and try other headphones instead of fighting about EQ in the thread.

Let your Ears be the judge. :L3000:
How dare you!?
Being all reasonable and making sense like that on the INTERNET...
It's a 4500 USD headphone and when EQ is needed to sound it right why not buying a Stealth which sounds right out of the box?
Sounds right to whom?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back