Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #2,506 of 6,820
Finally got them. Held for pickup at 7am. Delivered around 11. Went to pickup location. Found out it got delivered to home. Incompetence at the highest echelon.🤯

Attachments

• 20211104_181853 (2).jpg
    20211104_181853 (2).jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 4, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #2,507 of 6,820
Finally got them. Held for pickup at 7am. Delivered around 11. Went to pickup location. Found out it got delivered to home. Incompetence at the highest echelon.🤯
So tell me how they sound out of the m15?
Can the M15 drive them?

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,509 of 6,820

Enjoy them in good health man : )

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,510 of 6,820
Someone in the FIIO M17 thread has given brief impressions with Susvara. Might have to upgrade after a few more reviews.
[/QUOTE]
I wasn’t too enthused about seeing that “fan-stand” with it. Good to know my Hugo2 will do the job.😋

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #2,511 of 6,820
Just asking how burn in could be happening at home resulting in major audible changes when Audeze already burns in the headphones at the factory.

Seems like a pretty reasonable question - not sure why it bothers you.
If I’m not mistaken, Audeze only burns the phones in for 24 hours.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,512 of 6,820
Stealth is the way to go. Even the CRBN is better look at the graphs (a lot better highs vs LCD-5). Time will tell and @Nomax is right as always!
The CRBN ihomeuse only, and the Stealth, no matter how “open” the claim, won’t sound as good as an equal quality open headphone.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,513 of 6,820
Some call them 'the big boy headband' :), they are not big (they are the same size) and they are gender agnostic., they just clamp less. The longer yolk rod is only for those who are on the last click on the standard yolk rod. We are currently beta testing and evaluating them, we don't have a ETA yet.
Will the owners be able to exchange theirs for the new one (since it’s not available at LCD-5’s release), or have to pay for it?

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2,515 of 6,820
https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

with either

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

or (you don't need equilibrium (their flagship EQ) for headphone EQ'ing purposes, equick sounds the same, is cheaper, and retains much of the same functionality)

https://dmgaudio.com/products_equick.php

I prefer Fab Filter Pro-Q3, but can understand why some people prefer DMG audio's products.
I have the SoundSource; so FabFilter would be an insert within SS?

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,517 of 6,820
At the moment, I'm keen on being able to properly simulate a room full of speakers in a 7.1 array. It really helps with video games and movies in particular, as the directionality is something that no headphone can convey no matter how large a soundstage or brilliant the imaging is. There is no replacement for actual audio information placed properly in a 360 degree horizontal circle around your listening position. So if you want to hear something being truly behind you, you need virtual surround on ytour headphones. I'd take a $15-$20 Koss KSC75 with virtual surround over an HD800 in 2ch/stereo for my gaming purposes, every single time. That's how important virtual surround is in object placement location. That KSC75 will simulate a room with speakers, while the HD800 is just gonna sound like a headphone with a large headphone soundstage. No headphone will sound as large as a room with speakers, which that little Koss KSC75 is simulating.

I have a few that I think really showcase the strength of virtual surround based DSPs.

1. Redscape Audio - This one is my current fave. You can also get it with a headtracking dongle, which if you've heard the Audeze Mobius with Waves NX headtracking, it's similar to that, but for any headphone.

2. Creative's SXFI - This is one of Credative's newer surround implementations, and I actually think is the mosty convincing, but it's also quite processed sounding, so it may turn off a lot of people unless (as we discussed) you allow your ears to adapt to the change. SXFI is available on many devices that Creative makes, though not sure on software based solutions.

3. Waves NX - Particularly on the Audeze Mobius, it's really quite immersive and gives you an easy all in one solution with headtracking.

4. Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head - This one is quite pricey, but you get a bunch of different real life venues, studios, home setups recorded and simulated on your headphones. It's quite brilliant, as you get to hear what they sound like on your headphones. Again, it's pricey.

5. Creative SBX - Creative's other surround implementation, I feel this is the best for people first getting used to virtual surround, as it is the least processed. It still does a fine job emulating surround properly, without it sounding too processed. This is the first choice I'd give any newcomer. It's found on some Creative hardware like the Creative X7, and G6. The great thing is that you can send that surround emulation digitally through optical out to another, better DAC if you wanted. Or just use these as a DAC to a better amplifier.

6. Sennheiser GSX - This is one of the best, but it's tied to some Sennheiser hardware that I feel limit its potential.

I should add that Xbox now utilizes Dolby Atmos at the hardware level, and Sony Playstation 5 uses Tempest 3D audio, both which when properly utilized, are great alternatives to the above. Tempest 3D audio can be finicky when things don't properly support it however, so definitely only use it with PS5 games, not so much older PS4 games.

I should note that I don't use these things for music, or 2ch content. I only use it with properly encoded 5/7 channel sources. Meaning, mostly video games, and movies.
Thanks for this! Which one would you recommend for coming out of a television, into a DAC? How are you watching movies with the software versions …on a computer? I need this for movie/TV watching.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #2,518 of 6,820
Anyone in this thread hip to the Merging Anubis as a head amp? I have one (I use Merging for all of my conversion), and IMO it slays. Better than Hugo2 without a doubt, and runs the LCD5s brilliantly.

I'm surprised people on this board haven't caught onto these yet. They destroy the RME stuff, no comparison.
I know of Merging as a pro converter maker, not for headphones. Is the Anubis about the size of the Hugo2? I think most desktop DAC/amps SHOULD slay a transportable.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,519 of 6,820
Thanks for this! Which one would you recommend for coming out of a television, into a DAC? How are you watching movies with the software versions …on a computer? I need this for movie/TV watching.
Depends on how much one is willing to spend and the use case. Mobius, will work well for PCs and is hassle free for games and movies. But if you want to step up the game and are willing to spend more, nothing beats a personal HRTF for this, if you can snag a used Smyth Research A8 (accepts Optical and HDMI, up to 7.1 but no Atmos support). I use a A16 with LCD-5 to watch streamed movies and Blu-Ray in 13.1.10 Atmos.

I'd take a $15-$20 Koss KSC75 with virtual surround over an HD800 in 2ch/stereo for my gaming purposes, every single time.
Interestingly, on ear headphones with very little earpads interaction are almost a floating design and work very well for binauralization, and so do in ears, (If you know how to EQ them). Unlike EQ for listening, these need to be EQd to flat.

But I have yet to come across a binural/virtual surround engine for headphones that is transparent enough to allow me to listen to music and not having to turn my stereo monitors on,. They are good for watching movies or for gaming where localization is important or checking how mixes translate etc. But if one is after ultimate fidelity, the technology is not there yet. Even simple crossfeed (even when well implemented like in Chord DACs ore Weiss) still take away transparency enough to where I do not use them.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,520 of 6,820
The Anubis slays as a dac as well. I don’t know why the hifi people aren’t hip to it. Way underpriced for its performance.
Wow, 12 band fully parametric onboard EQ. That's incredible! It should work great as a clean source, and from what I've read, can run multi channel sound output with the addition of a add-on module. I might have to try it out and see if the extra EQ and features are worth the $1k Delta over the RME, and if it has the sound quality of the RME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back