Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2,266 of 6,820
I’m in the same boat of wanting to have the ONE and not an arsenal of Hp’s. To me the LCD5 is the most do it all so far and EQ makes that possible but I know if I sell my Susvara I will regret it. Stupid problems to have.
I also fancy “the one” but have a feeling it may be the Stax X9000.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,267 of 6,820
Right now they ship with the standard yolk-rod and headband only, but longer yolk-rod and carbon fiber headband with less clamping will become available (don't have ETA). I do not have all the information. Just like longer yolk rods are available for our previous LCD models as an optional accessory (that can be bought), you will be able to get the longer yolk rods for LCD-5 too. Please note that the yolk rods of the other LCD models are not compatible with LCD-5.

Once they become available, you will be allowed to swap the headband with less clamping for the standard headband. They are exactly the same size, drop in replacement, but have less clamping force. The details are not fully worked out yet. You will not have to pay for the headband swap.

(All details are subject to change and support won't have any more information)

Edited for clarity
@KMann — any idea whether the larger headband/yoke will be available before Xmas?

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,268 of 6,820
As to the clamp pressure/fit of these headphones. I wear a 7⅜ fitted cap so I have a pretty large head overall. These are 3 clicks from closed on the yokes and they fit very well. Just enough clamp pressure to keep them in place without giving me TMJ.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,270 of 6,820
EQ is extremely common now. It's applied in built in DSPs on basically every consumer ANC over ear and TWS offering now whether they give you end-user knobs to fiddle with in an app or not. Although not there yet, I don't see it going away but rather becoming increasingly common in the audiophile space too.

What I want to see are indeed those recommended presets from manufacturers as there is no such thing as a perfect headphone in the real world and especially when it comes down to a given user's FR taste.

Further, I want to see serial number specific profiles and measurements for every unit, preferably from a HATS and not a QC rig like a 60318-4 flatplate. At these exorbitant prices, the customer is owed a level of QC that goes far above and beyond, so this seems like a logical next step.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,272 of 6,820
If a Headphone that costs $4500 needs an EQ, then you have clearly bought the wrong one. But I understand why people use an EQ. A review in which it is claimed that you need an EQ so that the LCD 5 sounds best, I can't take it seriously and I also find it very unprofessional.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,273 of 6,820
If a Headphone that costs $4500 needs an EQ, then you have clearly bought the wrong one. But I understand why people use an EQ. A review in which it is claimed that you need an EQ so that the LCD 5 sounds best, I can't take it seriously and I also find it very unprofessional.
You seem new here, welcome. Pull up a chair and have a good read. It will help you.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,274 of 6,820
I ordered a pair of LCD 5s as soon as they were released in the UK. My dealer has 15 orders, I'm number 2. Just been told he is only getting one pair in from Audeze in the first shipment !! Come on Audeze, this is getting silly !!!
I ordered the day it went live on Audeze from my U.S. dealer. I see other dealers in U.S. and other countries with them IN STOCK, but I'm still waiting for the LCD-5 I ordered on Day 1. Audeze needs to work with their dealers to prioritize actual orders, not dealers WITHOUT actual orders so the LCD-5s can sit on a shelf. This is a poorly managed customer experience.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,275 of 6,820
EQ is an option not a solution, the 5s are great with out EQ but help headphones nerds (including my self) to enjoy something even more. If you expect that something should be perfect for just the cost of it :thinking:

That reminds me Slickdeals when a good headphones go on sale there, like for example Focal Clear at $900 you can read comments like: for that price should give u massage or it cook breakfast for you in the morning... :face_palm:

In my opinion you don't need EQ with the 5s if you never use it EQ before.

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,276 of 6,820
??Probably don't know how...
Fine if you insist.... @KMann already did the heavy lifting for me.

Price is irrelevant to EQ'ing a headphone.
It is relevant. If I'm paying 1.5k for an LCD-X i might bother putting the work in, at 4.5k i have different expectations. Not to say the LCD-5 won't be enjoyable/worth the price without EQ. The issue is the people's attitude.
Also, I'm pretty sure digital PEQ do not degrade the sound at all and that is an old notion from old school analogue EQ.
See point 1 of Kmann's post. To this point : Cross feed function on Chord dacs do boost the bass a bit. So i do use EQ and have no problem with that, because i know it's done in a transparent way and CF adds a lot more depth to the sound. That's done in the Dac though, by people who know what they're doing.
In a few years EQ will start to become the new norm. Its really not hard to learn and considering how much time some of you guys are on a form, you got the time. :L3000:
Yes tech from the 1970's is about to hit it big in 2030. People are still asking for EQ profiles for gaming for some reason. Meanwhile my 200$ Sennheiser GSX uses DSP to create positional audio that no hi-fi rig can dream of, with a cavernous soundstage. Because it takes sound from 7.1 real channels and processes it through a proprietary binaural engine.
And 7.1 sound is a complete joke compared to Dolby Atmos, in which format you're already seeing recordings. But people are still using their Hi-fi rigs for movies when you can get an Atmos system for 1/10th of the price that puts it to shame for the intended purpose.
The fact that Sony and Apple are all in on positional audio should tell you that the gear we're using now will be as much "the new norm" as cassette players currently are.
I don't have the time or the interest to do it, that's part of what I'm paying a premium for. If you enjoy it and think it's "that easy" to do right, go nuts.

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #2,277 of 6,820
Just in case anyone still needs a pair, I just noticed:

https://audio46.com/products/audeze-lcd-5-planar-magnetic-headphone
1635787039373.png

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #2,278 of 6,820
I ordered the day it went live on Audeze from my U.S. dealer. I see other dealers in U.S. and other countries with them IN STOCK, but I'm still waiting for the LCD-5 I ordered on Day 1. Audeze needs to work with their dealers to prioritize actual orders, not dealers WITHOUT actual orders so the LCD-5s can sit on a shelf. This is a poorly managed customer experience.

Dealers order headphones - not sure how (or why) Audeze would know if the dealer is ordering for a customer order or for stock.

The only workable option would be for Audeze to only sell direct for a period of time, something I doubt their dealer network and many consumers would approve of.

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,279 of 6,820
Dealers order headphones - not sure how (or why) Audeze would know if the dealer is ordering for a customer order or for stock.

The only workable option would be for Audeze to only sell direct for a period of time, something I doubt their dealer network and many consumers would approve of.
There are ways for that to be done. Not going to go into how it could be executed because that will take us considerably off topic, but it could and should be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back