Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,921 of 6,785
Hi all - sorry to say that I ordered an LCD5 from a dealer in Aus on Tuesday and to my complete surprise I’m now listening to it only 3 days later (I thought it was still on pre-order over here). Feel a bit guilty bearing in mind you folks in North America and Europe ordered weeks ago (but then I’m stuck in a 9 week hard lockdown in NZ so not that guilty).

I would normally say it’s too early to make any definitive judgement but after the first 2 minutes I was impressed. It just sounds right. Really is like a combo of the best aspects of my HEKSE and Utopia. It’s a better and more rounded headphone than both (IMO). Makes the HEKSE sound a bit ragged in comparison (treble more refined and bass much more focused and tactile). I can live with the forward mids.

I’m no expert in these matters but it’s like a bigger sounding Utopia to me. If that makes any sense. It’s not at all bright (for context I never thought the Utopia was particularly bright but the HEKSE was always a bit marginal for me and needed EQ). Not as airy as the HEKSE but more meat on the bones.

Comfortable too - the clamp force is noticeable but I can live with it (I’ve got a medium-large size noggin).

The cable feels a bit cheap but it’s light and not microphonic so no complaints. I’ve got Lazuli Reference cables for my Utopia and HEKSE but don’t think I will bother for the LCD5.

I’ve got a Holo May L3 inbound but not sure if I need it now - the LCD5 sounds so good with the Spring and Studio 6.

I don’t normally post on here (more a lurker than a poster). But bearing in mind the relative lack of reviews to date thought it would be wrong not to..

Still keen to hear the views of those more expert on these matters - especially how it compares to the Susvara, Solitaire P and Abyss Phi TC.

I was thinking about upgrading the HEKSE to Susvara but now not so sure what that will add to the LCD5. Current thinking is I need to try something completely different like the Abyss..

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,922 of 6,785
I hope that in the future a version with the all-black acetate ring will be offered, like on the CRBN.
I find the tortoise pattern very out of place, with that modern headphone look...

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,923 of 6,785
I hope that in the future a version with the all-black acetate ring will be offered, like on the CRBN.
I find the tortoise pattern very out of place, with that modern headphone look...
Hi Barone - not sure if you’ve seen them IRL but the tortoise shell is not that noticeable. Almost looks black and quite sleek. They look modern to me. And I don’t like tortoise shell… But then I never liked the look of the LCD4’s with the silver and wood combo..

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #1,924 of 6,785
Hi Barone - not sure if you’ve seen them IRL but the tortoise shell is not that noticeable. Almost looks black and quite sleek. They look modern to me. And I don’t like tortoise shell… But then I never liked the look of the LCD4’s with the silver and wood combo..
Thanks. Good to hear that.

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,926 of 6,785
My impression of Audeze LCD-5 launch is getting worse each day. I’m receiving positive feedback from my dealer that I could have my lcd-5 that I ordered on launch day within next two weeks. It’s still frustrating that people in different world areas that ordered days and weeks after me are getting it sooner.

Hopefully Audeze can come up with approaches to equitably manage launches from its channel better.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,927 of 6,785
I think muddy is the wrong word as it implies distortion or a poorly performing driver.

It would be far more accurate to say that the treble is at a lower level.

I EQ down the treble on my SR009S, it doesn’t suddenly become a muddy headphone.

Muddy. Like art, all descriptors are open to interpretation.

Muddy to me is something that is not clear and transparent. I think a muddy pond vs a pristine, clean, transparent freshwater lake. Descriptors that come to mind include a soundstage that is congested, instruments not clearly separated and detail that is lost. It can be a characteristic of a lower quality system and not a complimentary term.

I don't necessarily agree I would relate it to a treble level.

Having heard the LCD-5 - muddy is not a descriptor I would use to describe the LCD-5. Perhaps if you had a poor quality DAC and inadequate amp?

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,929 of 6,785
Did you test the LCD-5 with the TT2 alone? Is it a good fit? Out of front or out of back?
Planning to do that in the future since i got few Requests, might wait till my Chord DAVE arrives in a month or so, then i can do more testing around.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,930 of 6,785
My impression of Audeze LCD-5 launch is getting worse each day. I’m receiving positive feedback from my dealer that I could have my lcd-5 that I ordered on launch day within next two weeks. It’s still frustrating that people in different world areas that ordered days and weeks after me are getting it sooner.

Hopefully Audeze can come up with approaches to equitably manage launches from its channel better.
On the positive notes
1) a lot of audiophiles around the world (including me) have waited several YEARS for light weighted flagship Audeze headphones with supposedly more balanced overall tonality. Now waiting for few weeks more seems like a bargain.
2) Although it is still a very expensive item per se, Audeze imho priced LCD-5 somewhat fairly - taking into account all circumstances like inflation, price of previous flagship, CVD pandemy, it is a smaller company manufacturing in US, high demand from customers, higher prices of natural resources (Mg, carbon...) etc. The company have even offered quite generous upgrade program for LCD-4 and LCD-4z owners who bought these headphones from authorized dealers. People from US like you should have easier access to join this trade in program. All of this make LCD-5 relatively affordable for more people (brand new or in second hand market).
3) All is OK when you are healthy and have money to buy things which can make you happy/happier. Enjoy life and waiting for the treat !

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,931 of 6,785
looking forward to compare M-Scaler + Hugo TT2 vs M-Scaler + DAVE on LCD-5
If you haven't seen it, here is a video on the DAVE & M-Scaler combination. However, I would definitely enjoy your take with that setup and LCD-5.

GoldenSound

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,932 of 6,785
On the positive notes
1) a lot of audiophiles around the world (including me) have waited several YEARS for light weighted flagship Audeze headphones with supposedly more balanced overall tonality. Now waiting for few weeks more seems like a bargain.
2) Although it is still a very expensive item per se, Audeze imho priced LCD-5 somewhat fairly - taking into account all circumstances like inflation, price of previous flagship, CVD pandemy, it is a smaller company manufacturing in US, high demand from customers, higher prices of natural resources (Mg, carbon...) etc. The company have even offered quite generous upgrade program for LCD-4 and LCD-4z owners who bought these headphones from authorized dealers. People from US like you should have easier access to join this trade in program. All of this make LCD-5 relatively affordable for more people (brand new or in second hand market).
3) All is OK when you are healthy and have money to buy things which can make you happy/happier. Enjoy life and waiting for the treat !
Thank you for your positive approach and tone. It is important to stay positive during these challenging overall times.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,935 of 6,785
Hi all - sorry to say that I ordered an LCD5 from a dealer in Aus on Tuesday and to my complete surprise I’m now listening to it only 3 days later (I thought it was still on pre-order over here). Feel a bit guilty bearing in mind you folks in North America and Europe ordered weeks ago (but then I’m stuck in a 9 week hard lockdown in NZ so not that guilty).

I would normally say it’s too early to make any definitive judgement but after the first 2 minutes I was impressed. It just sounds right. Really is like a combo of the best aspects of my HEKSE and Utopia. It’s a better and more rounded headphone than both (IMO). Makes the HEKSE sound a bit ragged in comparison (treble more refined and bass much more focused and tactile). I can live with the forward mids.

I’m no expert in these matters but it’s like a bigger sounding Utopia to me. If that makes any sense. It’s not at all bright (for context I never thought the Utopia was particularly bright but the HEKSE was always a bit marginal for me and needed EQ). Not as airy as the HEKSE but more meat on the bones.

Comfortable too - the clamp force is noticeable but I can live with it (I’ve got a medium-large size noggin).

The cable feels a bit cheap but it’s light and not microphonic so no complaints. I’ve got Lazuli Reference cables for my Utopia and HEKSE but don’t think I will bother for the LCD5.

I’ve got a Holo May L3 inbound but not sure if I need it now - the LCD5 sounds so good with the Spring and Studio 6.

I don’t normally post on here (more a lurker than a poster). But bearing in mind the relative lack of reviews to date thought it would be wrong not to..

Still keen to hear the views of those more expert on these matters - especially how it compares to the Susvara, Solitaire P and Abyss Phi TC.

I was thinking about upgrading the HEKSE to Susvara but now not so sure what that will add to the LCD5. Current thinking is I need to try something completely different like the Abyss..
That's an awesome impression, thank you for sharing ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back