Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #1,531 of 6,785
@Currawong said the Hugo2 was the only one he’s tried that ran them.

Yeah, most portable gear didn't seem to be a good match. There was a stark difference, mainly in the quality of the bass, between even more powerful portable gear and desktop amps. Just after I shot the video, I did get in an L&P L6 (that crazy R2R DAP) and it could handle them, which was unexpected. But at $6k or whatever it costs, it dang well should!

Any recommendations for a tube amp for the LCD 5? I'm thinking in the W22 or the Feliks Audio Euphoria.

I'd honestly be surprised if any of the high-end tube amps didn't do a good job. I have the Studio Six here, and, once warmed up, it nails it with both speed and a touch of musicality that is spot-on for the LCD-5s, IMO anyway.

I no longer have the susvara, so I cannot comment on the direct comparison of speed and detail. But I do know that the LCD-R, on a speaker amp, approached the susvara in speed and detail, and the LCD-5 has more speed and detail than the LCD-R. Take that however you will.

It will be interesting to compare them both out of the Master 10 then, which I haven't done yet. The LCD-Rs were a whole different beast from it.

Speaking of the Susvaras... I shot another video. You'll have to wait a bit though for it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 13.26.40.png

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,534 of 6,785
Any recommendations for a tube amp for the LCD 5? I'm thinking in the W22 or the Feliks Audio Euphoria.
The Feliks Euforia is an output transformerless Design.
Those usually are better suited for higher impedances.

32 Ohm is still fine but since the LCD-5 is only 14 Ohm which is very low, better ask Feliks how well they work together.
It's also very limited in terms of power but if that is an issue depends on your listening volume.

The Wa22 is fine spec wise
As is the Cayin HA6A the McIntosh MHA200 and the LTA MZ3.
To name a few if the same price category.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,535 of 6,785
Yeah, most portable gear didn't seem to be a good match. There was a stark difference, mainly in the quality of the bass, between even more powerful portable gear and desktop amps. Just after I shot the video, I did get in an L&P L6 (that crazy R2R DAP) and it could handle them, which was unexpected. But at $6k or whatever it costs, it dang well should!

I'd honestly be surprised if any of the high-end tube amps didn't do a good job. I have the Studio Six here, and, once warmed up, it nails it with both speed and a touch of musicality that is spot-on for the LCD-5s, IMO anyway.

It will be interesting to compare them both out of the Master 10 then, which I haven't done yet. The LCD-Rs were a whole different beast from it.

Speaking of the Susvaras... I shot another video. You'll have to wait a bit though for it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 13.26.40.png
Looking forward to your next video. I bought the D8000 Pro based on your review and it's everything you said it was. I'm really lost in terms of whether to spend the money on a Susvara or wait patiently for the LCD-5 to become available. Given that your Susvara review is several years old, I think it would be great if you can make an update or comparison video

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #1,536 of 6,785
A Susvara vs. Lcd-5 face-off would be pure red meat to this crowd.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,537 of 6,785
The Wa22 is fine spec wise

The WA22 was one of the tube amps chosen by my Audeze dealer at the audition. They're more than fine. Rose-> TT2 -> WA22. It's 'fine' would probably be as fair a descriptor as I would use. I prefer the LCD-5 out of a S/S but YMMV.

Susvara vs LCD-5 would be going by memory. Susvara driven out of a speaker amp would have more precise holographic placement and detail. Probably more air and separation too. This is all from my recollection of my audition so take it with a grain of salt. Susvara also felt more neutral to me. There's not a lot in it though and it would be splitting hairs. From comfort and ease to drive, I'll pick the Audeze LCD-5.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,538 of 6,785
Ignoring that I am stating the obvious….

Let’s not forget when making comparisons that the susvaras can be picky with the amplification (and even dac) being used from power to even flavour - at least imho

The three amps I have owned and looked at/owned the susvaras with have been the v280, Taurus and the us4 and the latter is the clear clear clear winner. That might not be a surprise to anyone.

My 2c

F4C8E7B3-BFD6-4401-95FE-8D5BA20ABFE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,539 of 6,785
Just put in an order -- impatiently waiting. And I own the Susvaras. When they arrive I will provide my comments, though my listening skills are not nearly refined enough to do the kind of review worthy of this forum.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,540 of 6,785
Just put in an order -- impatiently waiting. And I own the Susvaras. When they arrive I will provide my comments, though my listening skills are not nearly refined enough to do the kind of review worthy of this forum.
Your views would be much appreciated

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,541 of 6,785
Has anyone gotten theirs from a dealer yet? Or did all the current owners got them straight from Audeze?

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,542 of 6,785
Decided to go for the LCD-4 ==>> LCD-5 upgrade. It does help that the process is reversible if customer is not satisfied, although I hate returning big ticket items that I have already purchased. In the end, I think I read enough about the LCD-5 to assume safely that it wouldn't attempt to "clone" my Susvara's sound to any alarming degree. So I just hope I like it as much as some of the most impressed reviewers do Fingers crossed.
+1 My LCD-4's are on the way now. I miss them already. :frowning2:

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,543 of 6,785
Received my LCD-5 this morning, direct from Audeze. It's the first LCD headphone I've worn that didn't weigh down every muscle in my neck and cripple me for days. :)

They're pretty comfortable, but the clamping pressure is strong.

Sound-wise, it's too early to say much. I tried it out on my Pathos Inpol Ear amplifier, and immediately thought, "This needs more tubey goodness," so I took it into my office setup and hooked it up to my iFi iCan Pro/iDSD Pro setup,. With both devices set to Tube+, the LCD-5 sounds great and has more than enough power. Lots of clarity and clean bass on tap.

I'll do more critical listening tonight after work.

EDIT: I have a small head, but my spouse does not. After he put the LCD-5 on, he said, "I would like these more if they weren't crushing my skull."

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,544 of 6,785
Has anyone gotten theirs from a dealer yet? Or did all the current owners got them straight from Audeze?
Ones from dealer supposed went out this week. Very small batches from what I'm hearing. I ordered day 1 within 30 minutes of go-live from dealer and I didn't even make the first batch. Only people I know who have gotten from dealers have very close hookups with a dealer.

Did you order Day 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back