Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #811 of 6,785
A very interesting comparison. However, if we set the loudness limit to 80dB (which I never exceed) then all the headphones are very much the same in terms of both current and voltage requirements. Which implies that, at such moderate listening levels, the amp's drive capability doesn't matter much. I'm sure there must be other variables involved because it seems to good to be true that I could drive a Susvara or LCD-5 from a low powered (but high quality) amp.

That aside, the LCD-5 is the first Audeze to ever get to my shortlist for my final, singular, endgame headphones - based to the initial reports on its sound signature, weight and comfort. It seems to have addressed all the (for me) downsides of previous Audeze models I've tried. Can't wait to compare it to some of the other recent TOTL 'phones.
How do you keep at 80? So much is missed at 80db.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #813 of 6,785
That aside, the LCD-5 is the first Audeze to ever get to my shortlist for my final, singular, endgame headphones - based to the initial reports on its sound signature, weight and comfort. It seems to have addressed all the (for me) downsides of previous Audeze models I've tried. Can't wait to compare it to some of the other recent TOTL 'phones.
Totally same opinion here, finally the worthy opponent to my Diana Phi has born. Comfort is as important as SQ, or even more.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #815 of 6,785
A very interesting comparison. However, if we set the loudness limit to 80dB (which I never exceed) then all the headphones are very much the same in terms of both current and voltage requirements. Which implies that, at such moderate listening levels, the amp's drive capability doesn't matter much. I'm sure there must be other variables involved because it seems to good to be true that I could drive a Susvara or LCD-5 from a low powered (but high quality) amp.

Looking at the numbers has got me thinking, as they ramp up at the same rate, but are simply larger for the Susvara and LCD-5. I do wish that there was a clearer way to indicate an amplifier's ability to deliver power over time, relative to the numbers.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #816 of 6,785
Which closed back?
Old faithful Z1R's. Haven't found a replacement I prefer yet and I've just given up on it. Had high hopes for the Stealth but they sound like something I'd steer clear of. Might get an LCD-5 as an open back alternative and call it a day if i do find a use case for open backs.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #817 of 6,785
Old faithful Z1R's. Haven't found a replacement I prefer yet and I've just given up on it. Had high hopes for the Stealth but they sound like something I'd steer clear of. Might get an LCD-5 as an open back alternative and call it a day if i do find a use case for open backs.
I recall someone calling the D8000 a 'Z1R on steroids'. I can't comment as I never heard the Z1R.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #822 of 6,785
I decided to graphically illustrate the LCD-5 power requirements compared to other headphones to better illustrate what I was talking about. Note not only the actual requirements, but the rate at which the power requirements increase versus other headphones. (Edit: Fixed a dumb mistake.)

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 15.10.42.png

Good illustration. My understanding is that for planar magnetic headphones current is almost always the limited factor, just like voltage is the limiting factor for electrostatics. From your grafs we can see that LCD-5 will need quite powerful amp to really sing.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #824 of 6,785
Eyyy -- Z1R gang represent. : )

I keep thinking of selling my Z1R, but it's so hard to let them go. There's something unique and charming about them. Once your brain "clicks" to their presentation, everything just sounds right. They're not perfect -- on some tracks, the bass can bleed a bit into the low mids. But then on others, the bass is just amazing.
^ Exactly my thought too. I'm thinking my "endgame" could be with LCD-5 & Z1R being somewhat complementary to one another. Verite Closed is still on my shortlist...

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #825 of 6,785
Uh oh, the impressions of LCD-5 have made me very interested to spend that money. I'm almost finished paying off the Stealth, so if that doesn't earn its place in my home after a week I'm going for the LCD-5. It seems to do everything well, and checks off the boxes of what I value the most in headphones. I owned LCD-3F and LCD-X 2019, but didn't totally dig the tonality and narrowish stage sizes. Audeze listened to all the feedback and it sounds like they got a winner.

Maybe the acetate rings could be customized a la Rosson cans.

On top of that I own a Hugo TT2 and M-scalar combo so it's reassuring to hear that people are enjoying this pairing. Wonder how it would do with the Formula S, given that thing is a high current beast that can finesse the 1266 TC.

All this TOTL thirst I'm having can't be healthy. I'm currently trying to calculate how many more patients per day I need to see to pay it off. Or worse, moonlight in a few terrifying emergency departments between now and then. Either that or immediately sell the McIntosh MHA200 that is due here in the coming months.

My son was only 2 years old when I told him he could inherit my ZMF Verite. He probably wouldn't even remember such a thing, and I don't recall pinky swearing a thing.

Thanks to all who have provided on-head impressions to all us thirsty folks. Everytime I read them my brain let's out a little squirt of dopamine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back