Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 21, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #391 of 6,785
EQ portion of Reveal+ was always intended to be free, legacy version of Reveal is still available. The UI is getting a revamp and the next version will work after trial expires.
Will you add a preset for LCD-5 to Roon?

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #392 of 6,785
The presets are just Audeze version. Supposed to give more room feel. The filter however is new. According to Audeze the linear filter has better imaging. But I think it might have more latency. So not ideal for video games or possibly movies. I have only tried it with music, and it did seem to improve imaging. But not a huge differance.
Got it.

Yeah, listening to the Metallica Black Album remaster ... The Unforgiven intro is a good listening test here. Feels wider for sure on linear.

Edit: Yes, I listen to actual music I like, not just stuff that helps me justify $5k headphone purchases. :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #393 of 6,785
EQ portion of Reveal+ was always intended to be free, legacy version of Reveal is still available. The UI is getting a revamp and the next version will work after trial expires.

Thanks for the info, downloading the legacy version of reveal right now. Will there be a LCD-5 preset available for the legacy version at some point? Or is that only for the revamped version in the future?

Thanks for the help : )

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #394 of 6,785
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #395 of 6,785
Man, I just read through like 7 pages of Frequency Response nonsense. Glad I am caught up, but that was rough. Let's wait until we starting getting units in hand and getting some real world listening on these things. I can't believe how everyone is hanging onto these graphs like they tell any sort of real story. I feel like I am reading a SBAF thread.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #396 of 6,785
I am surprised, at how many people here just want to fight over their assumptions. I can test the sound signature and compare with LCD4 right now for you guys.

I have the LCD-5 in my hand, they got delivered today.
But sure I will let you guys finish with your arguments and then we can talk about the reality if anyone still interested.
You’re leaving us hanging. What are your impressions? :thinking:

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #397 of 6,785
Man, I just read through like 7 pages of Frequency Response nonsense. Glad I am caught up, but that was rough. Let's wait until we starting getting units in hand and getting some real world listening on these things. I can't believe how everyone is hanging onto these graphs like they tell any sort of real story. I feel like I am reading a SBAF thread.
yeah, me too. I don't care about bass, mids etc. I only care if I get more emotion. If the gear can do that, than in my book that's perfect.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #398 of 6,785
Looking forward to hearing impressions along with everyone else here.

Very happy LCD-4 owner or the last 4 or 5 years. Interested to see where these fall. Best of luck, Audeze!

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #399 of 6,785
Audeze website now states that the LCD4 is out of stock and no longer available: No longer available. Please see the LCD-5 or LCD-4z.
@Mad Lust Envy , @KMann that is a mistake right?
The LCD-4 won't be discontinued and is only temporarily unavailable, right?

Also will the old LCD Series also receive the new headbands like a few years ago?
I.e. LCD-4 is now unavailable but will return with the LCD-5 headband?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #400 of 6,785

To be fair, if you buy expensive studio monitors, they measure excellent. If you buy expensive headphones however, ......

I find expensive headphones a joke for this reason and overpriced as hell.

Now I am sure it will sell as Dr. Fang (the guy behind Hifiman) once said, "they are so expensive because it sounds so good".

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #401 of 6,785
@Mad Lust Envy that is a mistake right?
The LCD-4 won't be discontinued and is only temporarily unavailable, right?

Also will the old LCD Series also receive the new headbands like a few years ago?
I.e. LCD-4 is now unavailable but will return with the LCD-5 headband?
I can still see the LCD-4 as available on the website. There’s no ”sold out” message. And I can add LCD-4 to my cart so I guess it’s still available?

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #402 of 6,785
I can still see the LCD-4 as available on the website. There’s no ”sold out” message. And I can add LCD-4 to my cart so I guess it’s still available?
They discontinued the LCD-4, or at least a couple of the dealer's told me that they no longer receive them now. Only LCD-4z.

This was a few weeks ago when I was looking to possibly buy an LCD-4.

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #403 of 6,785
What is the LCD-5 bringing to the table? If I want extreme detail, I’ll go with my SR1as or probably even the Audeze CRBN. I’m struggling to see what the LCD-5 brings to the table in terms of innovation. Sure it’s lighter, but I can wear my LCD-4s for hours with no problems, so I don’t really care about a lighter weight LCD-5.

I'm not too bothered by the weight of my LCD-4 either. My main listening spot is in my couch with a high back rest which also supports my head, so I can dream away :wink:

Thing is that I bought that specific couch for more comfortable listening, and moreover, people keep bashing Audeze for their far too heavy headphones all over this forum, and in many other places ftm, so one can't simply be ignorant of that.

Audeze is far from the only high end planar manufacturer struggling with the weight issue that was almost inherently related to best in class planar technology.

Now Audeze did some terrific R&D where they produced the same magnetic flux and an even better optimized trace pattern, and hence comparable or even better sound quality, be it at under 2/3 of the weight of their previous top tier models...

So they walk in here, most probably proud, feeling like "we finally managed to do it, to tackle the weight issue. Behold, the headphones everybody was asking for since over a decade."

And then as a response, people tell them they are struggling to see what the LCD-5 brings to the table in terms of innovation.

Djeezes, tough crowd to please...

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #404 of 6,785
No offense but the innovation argument got me a good laugh.

People with 20k of gear seemingly unable not to consooooom their soul away amassing headphones that require dedicated amps/chains, want Audeze to fill some gap which their 20k gear seemingly still leaves open.

Maybe relax a bit for a while.

Not everyone wants multiple headphones to cover as much technicalities and flavors as possible and then build multiple dedicated chains around since most of them require it.

Some just want a single or second headphone and bet on Audeze.

Weight is a huge problem for many, I used to laugh at it once, but there are indeed a lot. Weight reduction alone will make them return. The only question remaining is performance which 99,999% in here hasn't been able to judge yet.

Oh, and hopefully Audeze manages to rerelease the LCD-4 in the new format. I am sure there is still a lot interest.

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #405 of 6,785
Straight lift from Abyss Diana Earpad design.
Straight lift from Rad-0 cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back