Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,785
Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview

First a new electrostatic flagship with the CRBN, and now a new planar magnetic flagship with the LCD-5 -- Audeze is making abundantly clear they've never stopped developing products for the audiophile market.

Audeze CEO Sankar Thiagasamudram visited us at Head-Fi HQ to discuss the new Audeze LCD-5, I discuss its sound signature, and show you measurements (including measurement comparisons) made using the following:

Click on the following link for more information about the Brüel & Kjær 5128 hearing simulator mentioned in the video: Brüel & Kjær 5128

Sennheiser Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview - produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla​

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 6,785
lets-go-ready.gif

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 6,785
Measurements being so close to the CRBN is interesting. If this performs similarly on a technical level being able to get the headphone at the same price without having to buy an electrostatic energizer should make this one very popular.

I dig the looks, the tortoise shell finish is classy, and I like that they went away from the chrome that the LCD-4 has, which always looked gaudy to me. The new ear pads look really comfy too.

Interesting decision for the impedance though - 14ohm and 90db/mw sensitivity means these are going to be pretty dang current hungry. With sensitivity that low it doesn’t seem like the goal was mobile-device friendliness, but with that low impedance it won’t play well with a lot of tube amps. Maybe it’s just a side effect of the new diaphragm.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 6,785
Just made the order, I can't wait! I'll try them out first on the IHA-6 before decided if I need to get a more beefy setup. That low sensitivity might make me break out my speaker amp!

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 6,785
Very interested in this :L3000:

I'm watching the video. What is interesting/concerning is that it is "borderline bright" with "less of a low-end compared to the LCD-4" :thinking:

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 6,785
I'm watching the video. What is interesting/concerning is that it is "borderline bright" with "less of a low-end compared to the LCD-4" :thinking:
No way. Disappointed it’s not a direct brother of the LCD 4.
Review makes me feel like a combo of CRBN and lcd4 is better than a lcd5. I have no issues with weight.

I really gotta hear the CRBN. I already made up my mind I want the new SR9000.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 6,785
The frequency response looks a lot better than lcd-4, more ear gain and closer to Harman target

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 6,785
More upper mid and treble presence will make the bass response sound lower in comparison.

It looks like they’ll still need some EQ, I’d have liked to see that peak at 3khz be much broader to encompass from 2khz-5khz, but that can be EQ’d in as well as a nice bass shelf.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 6,785
No way. Disappointed it’s not a direct brother of the LCD 4.

also mentions it’s really close to CRBN in sound which sounds like an odd choice

Review makes me feel like a combo of CRBN and lcd4 is better than a lcd5. I have no issues with weight.

I really gotta hear the CRBN. I already made up my mind I want the new SR9000.
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the SR-X9000 sometime this year too, once I get a suitable e-stat amp. I'm more interested in the new Stax than this LCD-5, but will of course wait for reviews on both. Also, I'm looking forward to more CRBN reviews and user feedback too

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back