Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 20, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #5,221 of 6,785
Does anyone else have a squeaky ear cup? I just received my LCD-5 and the left cup makes a squeak/creak with the slightest movement. The right cup is silent. It seems like it's the two joints that connect to the headband. I've had this on other headphones before and it usually goes away with time, but I am wondering if there is something that can be adjusted or lubricated?
I also had this problem. A drop of walnut oil has helped. This tip came from Audeze (they had recommended coconut oil to me).
According to Audeze, this is "normal", and no reason for repair.

20220407_170249.jpg

May 20, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #5,222 of 6,785
I’ve since parted ways with my LCD-5’s. I went back to the LCD-4’s. My top two headphones that have getting time lately have been my LCD-4’s and Eikon’s. This is just based on my mood.
Aaaand, may I ask about the LCD-4z? I always thought you were more of 4z fan than a 4 fan. Did something change?

May 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #5,223 of 6,785
Aaaand, may I ask about the LCD-4z? I always thought you were more of 4z fan than a 4 fan. Did something change?
I owned both the LCD-5’s and LCD-4z’s at the same time. I thought the two headphones shared similar traits outside of bass, which I liked more on the LCD-4z’s. The LCD-5’s were technically superior and had just enough bass for me when EQ’d. I was fully prepared to live with the LCD-5’s as I had other headphones that could offset the sound of the LCD-4z’s. So I sold my LCD-4z’s to good friend who needed a TOTL headphone. The more I listened to the LCD-5’s the more I craved a bit more musicality.

In my setup, the LCD-5’s were a bit to neutral sounding. Instead of changing up my system for a headphone, which I said I would never do again after owning the Susvara’s, I thought it would be easier just to trade them. I was gonna trade back down for the LCD-4z’s but I wanted to give the LCD-4’s another go. I didn’t give them a fair shake when I initially owned them. Upon hearing the LCD-4’s again after completing the trade I found the sound mesmerizing and a little more enjoyable than the LCD-4z’s. Soon after I picked up the Solitaire P’s and feel my headphone journey is complete for now :smile_phones:. I’ve ran the gambit of headphones and own the ones that fit my sound preferences.

May 20, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #5,224 of 6,785
I just had the idea to compare the LCD-5 with the Heddphone.
Of course, both brought to the same FR.

I am curious, and will report.

May 20, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #5,225 of 6,785
I owned both the LCD-5’s and LCD-4z’s at the same time. I thought the two headphones shared similar traits outside of bass, which I liked more on the LCD-4z’s. The LCD-5’s were technically superior and had just enough bass for me when EQ’d. I was fully prepared to live with the LCD-5’s as I had other headphones that could offset the sound of the LCD-4z’s. So I sold my LCD-4z’s to good friend who needed a TOTL headphone. The more I listened to the LCD-5’s the more I craved a bit more musicality.

In my setup, the LCD-5’s were a bit to neutral sounding. Instead of changing up my system for a headphone, which I said I would never do again after owning the Susvara’s, I thought it would be easier just to trade them. I was gonna trade back down for the LCD-4z’s but I wanted to give the LCD-4’s another go. I didn’t give them a fair shake when I initially owned them. Upon hearing the LCD-4’s again after completing the trade I found the sound mesmerizing and a little more enjoyable than the LCD-4z’s. Soon after I picked up the Solitaire P’s and feel my headphone journey is complete for now :smile_phones:. I’ve ran the gambit of headphones and own the ones that fit my sound preferences.
I had the same experience...

May 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #5,226 of 6,785
I also had this problem. A drop of walnut oil has helped. This tip came from Audeze (they had recommended coconut oil to me).
According to Audeze, this is "normal", and no reason for repair.

20220407_170249.jpg

Thanks for the tip! That's exactly where they are making the noise. I'll go get some coconut or walnut oil and give it a shot.

May 21, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #5,227 of 6,785
Purchased Mtich Barnett's (Accurate Sound Canada) convolution filter for the LCD5.

Loaded into Equaliser APO.

He has nailed it. Much better. Better balance. Much better timbre on vocals too. I was running a modified version of Resolves EQ. But this is better again.

May 21, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #5,228 of 6,785
Purchased Mtich Barnett's (Accurate Sound Canada) convolution filter for the LCD5.

Loaded into Equaliser APO.

He has nailed it. Much better. Better balance. Much better timbre on vocals too. I was running a modified version of Resolves EQ. But this is better again.
Do you know if he has a list of all his convolution filters (I couldn’t find it on his site)? I bought his absolutely amazing SR1a filters and his pretty good TC filters. They are pricey, but worth it. The Sr1a filters are a game changer. The TC ones are good, but more subtle. I wonder if he has any Susvara filters. Now that he has LCD-5 filters, I’m definitely curious as to what people think

May 21, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #5,229 of 6,785
I think he is working on, or planning to, Susvara one. Though I doubt there is much to change, tonally the Susvara is pretty damn good and I doubt anyone would buy it. LCD5, TC and SR1a on the other hand are technical monsters with a bit of a wonky balance. My 2c anyway.

May 21, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #5,230 of 6,785
I think he is working on, or planning to, Susvara one. Though I doubt there is much to change, tonally the Susvara is pretty damn good and I doubt anyone would buy it. LCD5, TC and SR1a on the other hand are technical monsters with a bit of a wonky balance. My 2c anyway.
Thank you for sharing! May I know where did you purchase his EQ? I don’t see it on their website…

May 21, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #5,231 of 6,785
Thank you for sharing! May I know where did you purchase his EQ? I don’t see it on their website…
Just email him. He sends you the filter files (one for each bitrate) in a ZIP.

Read:. https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/audeze-lcd-4-vs-lcd-5-yin-and-yang-r1105/

What convinced me to buy it was that I agree with him regarding what the popular gohto tuning seems to be these days, and how, for me, its way to much in the 3-4k region. Harman tuning kills me with that much.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #5,232 of 6,785

Read:. https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/audeze-lcd-4-vs-lcd-5-yin-and-yang-r1105/

What convinced me to buy it was that I agree with him regarding what the popular gohto tuning seems to be these days, and how, for me, its way to much in the 3-4k region. Harman tuning kills me with that much.
Pasting from article:

"As an aside, I don’t count headphones that have been designed with the Harman headphone target response or have been eq’d to the Harman headphone target. While it may be a popular preference for a specific demographic, it does not sound “neutral” to my ears. To my ears, there is too much low bass with the upper bass missing, accompanied by a big amplitude peak in the 2.5 kHz region, again, in our ears most sensitive frequency range.

“Boom and screech” is what I hear with this type of sonic profile...

I also find the Harman target profile to pretty much destroy the depth of field of the soundstage making it sound very 2D, i.e., lacking depth. There is too much deep bass with the middle and upper bass “suck out” compared to the rest of the mix. There is an unnatural “edge” to the sound that brings the upper midrange too far forward (and up in height) in the mix. Maybe this “boom-sis” boombox type of sound is a preference type for some, but I would think audiophiles are looking for a more neutral/accurate sound reproduction, approaching the same specs as their digital music players, DAC’s, and amps."
-------
If that's what he heard on a HP with Harman target response curve then he is evaluating with an unoptimized chain. All his criticism has nothing to do with the Harman response but rather, the Harman response reflects issues in his chain.

May 21, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #5,233 of 6,785

How much do they cost? Also could these be easily applied in Roon? I’m not too familiar with convolution filters.

May 21, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #5,234 of 6,785
Cool bud.

Tuned to the Harman Curve, to my ears, is shouty. Etched. Not enjoyable.

All my favourite headphones have more dip in the 2.5-4k region. Final D8000. ZMF Verite. Just sounds more natural and is less fatiguing to me.

He is just writing up his opinion. Assuming his chain must be off is just a weird thing to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back