Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #451 of 6,787
Just an assumption here as a dude into the hobby.

I think the size difference affecting the sound here between old and new is probably minute, that the physics around it wouldn't account to much. There's too much at play into dictating a headphone's sound like the strength of the magnets, the driver film itself, distance between the ear and the driver, pad material, clamp pressure, etc. It all needs to work in perfect harmony. The size difference at this level likely didn't play much of a factor in determining how high sound quality could be.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #452 of 6,787

I think the size difference affecting the sound here between old and new is probably minute, that the physics around it wouldn't account to much. There's too much at play into dictating a headphone's sound like the strength of the magnets, the driver film itself, distance between the ear and the driver, pad material, clamp pressure, etc. It all needs to work in perfect harmony. The size difference at this level likely didn't play much of a factor in determining how high sound quality could be.
I think fundamentally you are right. But there is this assumption/preconception that Audeze bass was only achievable due to their 106mm double sided heavy magnet array and anything lighter, single sided will not have the same bass impact. Again, I am not an expert but I love Audeze bass. I guess, I will have to find a way to audition the LCD5 to find out.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #456 of 6,787

That's my understanding as well...

You see different driver sizes in loudspeakers mostly due to limitations drive size has on frequency vs distortion; hence why you tend to see smaller drivers for higher frequencies and larger for lower frequencies.

Bigger is not always better -- a larger driver can't reproduce higher frequencies quite as well as smaller drivers and vice versa.
Loudspeakers need to move more air to get to your ear drum and thus this effect is a bit more prominent, and so like Mad Lust Envy pointed out, this effect in headphones is less prominent when compared to the implementation of how the driver is design to match the acoustics of the enclosure, pads, and distance to ear, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #457 of 6,787
Yes most most notable being lower mass of the diaphragm (helps with speed) and reduced reflections (helps with clarity)
That actually makes a lot of sense. How does it affect 'weight', 'thickness' and 'impact' of sound?

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #458 of 6,787
I think fundamentally you are right. But there is this assumption/preconception that Audeze bass was only achievable due to their 106mm double sided heavy magnet array and anything lighter, single sided will not have the same bass impact. Again, I am not an expert but I love Audeze bass. I guess, I will have to find a way to audition the LCD5 to find out.
Let me just say there are (planar) drivers smaller than 90mm of LCR-5 , that are quite famous for their bass. It is not about just the size of the driver; control, tensioning, earpad design and seal work together on the delivery.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #460 of 6,787
Let me just say there are (planar) drivers smaller than 90mm of LCR-5 , that are quite famous for their bass. It is not about just the size of the driver; control, tensioning, earpad design and seal work together on the delivery.
To be fair 90mm is still a respectable size and bigger than most competitors.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #461 of 6,787
Those are subjective and I leave it to reviewers and those of you who get a chance to listen to comment.
These qualities are not that subjective, but I understand your politically neutral response on the matter.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #462 of 6,787
We really need reviews.
Technically I don't see what makes LCD5 so special to be the best orthodynamic on the world.
Stealth in comparison is technically revolutionary.

Then buy the Stealth as you’ve clearly already decided which you prefer. Not sure why several Stealth fans feel the need to mention that here, but that’s Head-Fi these days…

The LCD5 was released this week - can’t understand why people expect there to be a high volume of reviews this soon.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #465 of 6,787
I am waiting for the posts of people going to the canjam meet coming up..... there should be plenty of posts comparing all of the new ultra expensive TOTL headphones in short time.... I was going to go but am having issues with damage from the hurricane activity of recent events.... so all of you that get to go and tryout/compare these new headphones please let the rest of us know how the stack up really is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back