Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #437 of 6,785
One reason Jude may not have been overly ecstatic may be fairly simple. He likes warmer headphones. Considering the LCD-5 is gonna border more towards neutral, this is probably down to preference.

People can call out the technicalities of the HD800 all day, every day, I'd still choose a 6XX over it, because it's my preference in tuning too. Doesn't make the HD800 not worthwhile for what it is.

We all have our preferences. Not all flagships will cater to everyone.

@betula, that's definitely a Kmann question.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #438 of 6,785
The driver is smaller, but the actual active area exposed to the ear (the part that matters) is essentially the same surface area size.

edit: Didn't realize Kmann responded.
isn't the active area exposed to the ear pretty much the same with every headphone.... we are talking about human ears... right

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #439 of 6,785
isn't the active area exposed to the ear pretty much the same with every headphone.... we are talking about human ears... right
Yes if all of us have the same ear shape and all earpad openings are exactly the same sized rectangle, square or oval.

In the case of our prior LCD series earpads vs LCD-5, you will notice that the earpad opening is very similar

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #440 of 6,785
Yes if all of us have the same ear shape and all earpad openings are exactly the same sized rectangle, square or oval.

In the case of our prior LCD series earpads vs LCD-5, you will notice that the earpad opening is very similar
Still there seems to be more space and less skin contact area on the LCD5 pads due to the new angled pad design.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #441 of 6,785
They discontinued the LCD-4, or at least a couple of the dealer's told me that they no longer receive them now. Only LCD-4z.

This was a few weeks ago when I was looking to possibly buy an LCD-4.

This is what I see from https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-4:

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 1.39.28 PM.png

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #442 of 6,785
so you can have a large driver or a small driver and as long as the projection of the sound is directed at the ear properly with no obstructions and proper angles then they are the same.. larger driver or smaller driver.... in speaker terms a larger speaker is all ways better.... ?

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #443 of 6,785
@betula That's probably a valid observation. But again that's still doesn't contradict that the actual driver surface area opening is similar as before.

And like Dixter asked... bigger isn't always better. Implementation is key.

You have well tuned 35mm drivers that can spank cheap 53mm gaming headset drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #444 of 6,785
so you can have a large driver or a small driver and as long as the projection of the sound is directed at the ear properly with no obstructions and proper angles then they are the same.. larger driver or smaller driver.... in speaker terms a larger speaker is all ways better.... ?
I am not an expert on the matter, but let's say the 'useful ear area' is the same regardless the transducer size. Still there must be some sonic differences. Imagine you tighten up a 10m x 10m sheet and then you tighten up a 5m x 5m sheet. You might only hear the middle 2m x 2m resonances, but there must be a difference between a 10 x 10 field and a 5 x 5 field regarding tightness and other qualities. Prove me wrong.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #445 of 6,785
@betula That's probably a valid observation. But again that's still doesn't contradict that the actual driver surface area opening is similar as before.

And like Dixter asked... bigger isn't always better. Implementation is key.

You have well tuned 35mm drivers that can spank cheap 53mm gaming headset drivers.
Good points... implementation is the key...

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #446 of 6,785
I am not an expert on the matter, but let's say the 'useful ear area' is the same regardless the transducer size. Still there must be some sonic differences. Imagine you tighten up a 10m x 10m sheet and then you tighten up a 5m x 5m sheet. You might only hear the middle 2m x 2m resonances, but there must be a difference between a 10 x 10 field and a 5 x 5 field regarding tightness and other qualities. Prove me wrong.
Again, that's assuming tweaks and optimizations weren't made. You think Audeze just reduced driver size without the research and optimizations into utilizing it correctly?

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #447 of 6,785
you mean like comparing a 6 inch woofer to a 12 inch woofer... ??

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #448 of 6,785
Again, that's assuming tweaks and optimizations weren't made. You think Audeze just reduced driver size without the research and optimizations into utilizing it correctly?
I did not assume that tweaks and optimizations were not made. I am sure they were. I am only interested in the physics behind it.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #450 of 6,785
I am sure Audeze paid more attention to the optimization of a smaller driver but if the intent was to reduce weight then they had no choice but to go to a smaller driver and then make sure that a smaller driver performed well... so they would accomplish the desire of weight reduction and not cause an issue with sound quality.... if you want you can obviously get the driver to any small size you want/need... thats why you have in ear monitors... and all they do is use the ear canal and ignore the outer ear properties...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back