Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #3,976 of 6,785
I have a feeling many came to the LCD-5 expecting to enjoy them based on the tunings from previous LCD's, hooked them up, and threw on their favorite hard rock and metal tracks and were probably left wanting for a bit "more."

Not that these are bad with metal, but it seems many want more V-shaped tuning for those genres. Not to mention there's almost too much detail with these for genres like metal. It's information overload lol.

Now, for any of the more traditional genres or even most electronica, I'm finding these to be amazing. I'm a soundtrack [mostly video game] nerd and these are the best I've heard these tracks.

If Audeze we're consulting with mastering engineers who primarily worked on scores, jazz, and with more contemporary artists, I could see how this tuning would sound "correct." Based on what I'm hearing, I'm assuming the engineers they collaborated on tuning with likely weren't mixing for metal bands lol. :)

But, I think I prefer that anyways. For such a technically proficient headphone, I'd prefer it to be stronger in the genres I'm finding it strong in, and delegate the metal listening to my other cans. I'm sure with the right EQ, these could be awesome for metal tho too.

The ZMF VC seem to complement these well in this regard, though. Metal, EDM, and rock seem to be a bit more "fun" through the VC, while classical/soundtracks/jazz/vocals/acoustic seem to really sing on the LCD-5. But it's not like either one doesn't work these other genres -- they're both quite versatile.
The LCD-5 is the only Audeze which I think sounds great on every genre. It’s their most neutral can, by far. And their best.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #3,977 of 6,785
The LCD-5 is the only Audeze which I think sounds great on every genre. It’s their most neutral can, by far. And their best.
I love them for the neutralness. In my metal, I love the pounding doublebass, but on the other hand, the guitars and vocals are awesome. Metal to me is all about that bass.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,978 of 6,785
I love them for the neutralness. In my metal, I love the pounding doublebass, but on the other hand, the guitars and vocals are awesome. Metal to me is all about that bass.
Apply Chronos EQ and voila maybe the best metal headphone out there! Hearing Paralydium now awesome, amazing, outstanding! Fast, very fast, crazy details, outstanding mids, best bass out of all TOTL.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #3,979 of 6,785
Where does one obtain the Chronos EQ please?

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,982 of 6,785
I’ve been comparing my headphones a lot recently, and I too came to the conclusion that metal is much harder to get right than others genres (I don’t listen to classical though). That’s part of the reason I have so many headphones. Certain metal sub-genres sound better out of different headphones (e.g., Susvaras for black metal because they are so forgiving of poorly recorded albums, LCD-4 for doom/stoner because of the crunchy midrange, the TCs for grindcore and death when I want the bass, and the same grindcore and death albums with the sr1as, when I want speed).
I am always amazed by the sub-genres I have never heard of before........................doom and grindcore? :astonished:
I suppose I need to google grindcore!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,983 of 6,785
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3,985 of 6,785
I’ve been comparing my headphones a lot recently, and I too came to the conclusion that metal is much harder to get right than others genres (I don’t listen to classical though). That’s part of the reason I have so many headphones. Certain metal sub-genres sound better out of different headphones (e.g., Susvaras for black metal because they are so forgiving of poorly recorded albums, LCD-4 for doom/stoner because of the crunchy midrange, the TCs for grindcore and death when I want the bass, and the same grindcore and death albums with the sr1as, when I want speed).
damn, I never knew there were so many varieties of metal...it is a genre I know nothing about unless the likes of zep,sabbath and deep purple count

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,986 of 6,785
damn, I never knew there were so many varieties of metal...it is a genre I know nothing about unless the likes of zep,sabbath and deep purple count
Haha, my favorite growing up was melodic black metal (Norwegians do it best). Dimmu, Borknagar… Then those brits Cradle of Filth :D

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,987 of 6,785
I can certainly see why once in a while you and I have differences of opinion on equipment given the completely different music we listen to lol...like the sol p

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #3,989 of 6,785

Tons of new bands with those type of sounds you like too.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,990 of 6,785
Metal Baby? Like this?
1642635255674.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back