Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,527 of 6,828
Of course. I am ready to cancel my order.

I wonder why Audeze hasn’t been able to manage channel sales vs direct sales in a more even way. They take all the profit, obviously, when sold direct - and if they could deliver more quickly, it would enhance their retail presence. Since they are not - it’s doing the opposite. They are literally available everywhere, every headphone retailer has them in stock. Hell, even Amazon has then. The only retailer I saw that just sold out was headphones dot com.

I have had Audeze headphones for many years and customer service has always been exemplary. It’s a shame they didn’t get this quite right - but hopefully they figure it out soon.

TLDR - I completely understand why you are upset.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,528 of 6,828
I wonder why Audeze hasn’t been able to manage channel sales vs direct sales in a more even way. They take all the profit, obviously, when sold direct - and if they could deliver more quickly, it would enhance their retail presence. Since they are not - it’s doing the opposite. They are literally available everywhere, every headphone retailer has them in stock. Hell, even Amazon has then. The only retailer I saw that just sold out was headphones dot com.

I have had Audeze headphones for many years and customer service has always been exemplary. It’s a shame they didn’t get this quite right - but hopefully they figure it out soon.

The way you point this out, makes it all the more hilarious.

True.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,529 of 6,828

I'm guessing that it's a case of higher demand for direct sales than expected.

I don't know how Audeze operates, but typically, a number of units are held for initial internal sales with authorized vendors getting units after the initial internal allocation.

If demand from Audeze direct sales exceeds projection, units over initial projections for direct sales would typically fall behind commitments to vendors.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #3,530 of 6,828
There's the case that it's another continent so the batch would need to be large enough to make shipping affordable/low and also COVID-19 plus a newly mutated strain so things coming into countries are more strictly screened.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,531 of 6,828

Same here I was an early adopter of Audeze HPs starting with the early LCD2s, LCDX, and then LCD4 and customer service has always been good. Now on the LCD5 trade-in I am ok with the pre-payment, but I think they should have waited until they had a pair of lcd5s to ship to the trader, and then have you send them your LCD4s. My LCD4s are my only TOTL headphones and going weeks with out a pair of headphones it torture for me, LOL!

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,532 of 6,828
Same here I was an early adopter of Audeze HPs starting with the early LCD2s, LCDX, and then LCD4 and customer service has always been good. Now on the LCD5 trade-in I am ok with the pre-payment, but I think they should have waited until they had a pair of lcd5s to ship to the trader, and then have you send them your LCD4s. My LCD4s are my only TOTL headphones and going weeks with out a pair of headphones it torture for me, LOL!

IMO, you have a legitimate complaint. Underestimating demand is one thing, but Audeze shouldn't have had you send in your 4 unless they had a 5 ready to go.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,533 of 6,828
IMO, you have a legitimate complaint. Underestimating demand is one thing, but Audeze shouldn't have had you send in your 4 unless they had a 5 ready to go.
in a former life I helped small businesses become successful, so I understand the limitations that a company like Audeze may have compared to much larger companies that have been around for a long time.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #3,534 of 6,828
in a former life I helped small businesses become successful, so I understand the limitations that a company like Audeze may have compared to much larger companies that have been around for a long time.
Not to mention the fact that there's still a pandemic raging around the world in a new surge as we speak, which has been affecting supply chains around the world on everything from food delivery to furniture to cars. Pretty much everything.

Now is a really good time to give a relatively small company that makes great products we all love a bit of a break. The LCD-5 will be worth the wait.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,535 of 6,828
Not to mention the fact that there's still a pandemic raging around the world in a new surge as we speak, which has been affecting supply chains around the world on everything from food delivery to furniture to cars. Pretty much everything.

Now is a really good time to give a relatively small company that makes great products we all love a bit of a break. The LCD-5 will be worth the wait.
I agree 100%

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,536 of 6,828

Someone clearly messed up over there. It’s not supply chain related or Covid related at least in the US. It’s not like they haven’t been able to produce them, they are in retailers. And while I am sensitive to Covid issues manifesting in other ways, as a company, you can’t continue to lean into that excuse going forward.

All that said, I have nothing against Audeze and really do like the company. I’ve had an LCD XC, LCD 3, LCD 4, 2 Sines and I just bought the LCD 5. And I’ll say this - they aren’t trying to milk every dollar from you. I once asked if I could get the drivers in my LCD 4 replaced with LCD 4z drivers so I could drive them more easily with my Chord Dave directly. You know what they quoted as the cost? Nothing but labor. Said I shouldn’t have to pay for the new drivers because I already paid for the LCD 4 once. I didn’t end going through with it, but I don’t know any other headphone manufacturer that would offer that. Additionally, My LCD 3 wooden rings cracked under warranty. I sent my headphones and received them fixed in less than a week cross country.

I have no problems with Audeze. I am just pointing out the irony of the situation, and that I feel for those who haven’t received their’s yet - when I can place an order on Monday and get it on Tuesday. What they could do is offer to fulfill those orders through their many retailers while they make some more.

Anyhow as I do get the LCD 5 tomorrow, I’ll try and get the thread back on track with my impressions after a few days.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #3,537 of 6,828
I received the new headband today. I am not very handy so what should take about 5 minutes took me 20 minutes. I would encourage everybody to contact Audeze support and get the new headband. For me the decrease in clamping made a decent wearable headphone very comfortable. Audeze responded to my email in one day and seven days later the headband was in my possession and that is with Christmas in play.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,538 of 6,828
Another kudos for Audeze customer service.

Emailed support. Rather prompt response within 1-2 business days. Sent serial number and copy of purchase invoice.

And no questions asked -> headband has been posted complimentary. Though first class USPS international postage to Australia means I may see it when the LCD-6 is released. Fingers crossed.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #3,539 of 6,828
I received the new headband today. I am not very handy so what should take about 5 minutes took me 20 minutes. I would encourage everybody to contact Audeze support and get the new headband. For me the decrease in clamping made a decent wearable headphone very comfortable. Audeze responded to my email in one day and seven days later the headband was in my possession and that is with Christmas in play.
Does the new headband look just like the origional except bigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back