Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 25, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,012 of 6,785
UBER First world problem alert!

I've been waiting impatiently for my LCD-5, since I sent my my LCD-4 in for the swap. Now that it is here, I'm kind of feeling too preoccupied with other tasks to even open the box, talk less of giving it a listen. I could course drop everything and open it, but I wouldn't want to do that just to give it a hasty 30 minute look over, which is all the time I would have at my disposal for it today. I figure that once opened, I 'll ideally need at least 3 hours to give it a proper welcome dance, and that anything less would be too pathetic to befit the grandness, the dignity, the class, and gravitas of these cans... So I am thinking of waiting till Friday to do the honors...

What I can't figure out is which of my two options is sillier... To open it now, and give it a quick 10 minute look with barely a listen, or wait till Friday, but spend several hours per day casting longing and forlorn glances in the direction of the unopened box???

I warned y'all : First world problems on steroids!!! I confess that I do find the silliness of the dilemma somewhat amusing so far... I do not know how I shall feel about this tomorrow. Maybe I shall wind up caving, and doing something different before Friday, hell, maybe even before tomorrow!!!

In the meantime, its back to staring at the unboxed package, in awe! :) :slight_smile:
I'd suggest unboxing it and running music or pink noise through it until you have time to give it a proper listen later in the week.

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,013 of 6,785

I've been waiting impatiently for my LCD-5, since I sent my my LCD-4 in for the swap. Now that it is here, I'm kind of feeling too preoccupied with other tasks to even open the box, talk less of giving it a listen. I could course drop everything and open it, but I wouldn't want to do that just to give it a hasty 30 minute look over, which is all the time I would have at my disposal for it today. I figure that once opened, I 'll ideally need at least 3 hours to give it a proper welcome dance, and that anything less would be too pathetic to befit the grandness, the dignity, the class, and gravitas of these cans... So I am thinking of waiting till Friday to do the honors...

What I can't figure out is which of my two options is sillier... To open it now, and give it a quick 10 minute look with barely a listen, or wait till Friday, but spend several hours per day casting longing and forlorn glances in the direction of the unopened box???

I warned y'all : First world problems on steroids!!! I confess that I do find the silliness of the dilemma somewhat amusing so far... I do not know how I shall feel about this tomorrow. Maybe I shall wind up caving, and doing something different before Friday, hell, maybe even before tomorrow!!!

In the meantime, its back to staring at the unboxed package, in awe! :) :slight_smile:
I have a feeling you might have a cold coming on, "cough cough". Time for a sick day!

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #2,014 of 6,785

Open it, listen to check it out, put it up ‘til Friday.

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,016 of 6,785
So which important Tasks are scheduled for tomorrow and how dangerous is sleep deprivation for that?
Okay. since you ask, I have a whole bunch of papers to grade and return to my students this week. They are already slightly late since I have an unusually large number of them this semester. If I am not imagining it, I think I can see their impatience in their eyes, or maybe it's all in my head, which boils down to the same effect : I would hate to settle down to listen to the LCD-5 with such guilt feelings nagging me at the back of my head, because they can suck and detract from the experience.

My sense of the proper welcome would be to settle down in a dimly lit room with the LCD-5, feeling light like a feather, with absolutely no load on the brain, and with one of the substances below in my right hand for the whole 7-8 hours give or take :

giphy+%281%29.gif
Rok-Jurman-Design_Restavracija-Capra-Koper_drink04.gif

So there are really no dangers to speak of, just a toss up between a hastily arranged guilt-ridden listen for instant gratification (today), and a patiently calibrated grand slam of a ride on Aladdin's magic carpet (Friday)...

I'd say that Friday is looking pretty good from where I'm sitting now so far... I hope my mind does not change before then :) :slight_smile: :relaxed:

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,017 of 6,785
Let’s go back to talking about the harman curve

1635200401263.gif

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #2,019 of 6,785
Okay. since you ask, I have a whole bunch of papers to grade and return to my students this week. They are already slightly late since I have an unusually large number of them this semester. If I am not imagining it, I think I can see their impatience in their eyes, or maybe it's all in my head, which boils down to the same effect : I would hate to settle down to listen to the LCD-5 with such guilt feelings nagging me at the back of my head, because they can suck and detract from the experience.

My sense of the proper welcome would be to settle down in a dimly lit room with the LCD-5, feeling light like a feather, with absolutely no load on the brain, and with one of the substances below in my right hand for the whole 7-8 hours give or take :

giphy+%281%29.gif
Rok-Jurman-Design_Restavracija-Capra-Koper_drink04.gif

So there are really no dangers to speak of, just a toss up between a hastily arranged guilt-ridden listen for instant gratification (today), and a patiently calibrated grand slam of a ride on Aladdin's magic carpet (Friday)...

I'd say that Friday is looking pretty good from where I'm sitting now so far... I hope my mind does not change before then :) :slight_smile: :relaxed:
Sounds like you'd get overall more enjoyment out of it by waiting toll Friday.
My vote is on friday

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,020 of 6,785

I've been waiting impatiently for my LCD-5, since I sent my my LCD-4 in for the swap. Now that it is here, I'm kind of feeling too preoccupied with other tasks to even open the box, talk less of giving it a listen. I could of course drop everything and open it, but I wouldn't want to do that just to give it a hasty 30 minute look over, which is all the time I would have at my disposal for it today. I figure that once opened, I 'll ideally need at least 3 hours to give it a proper welcome dance, and that anything less would be too pathetic to befit the grandness, the dignity, the class, and gravitas of these cans... So I am thinking of waiting till Friday to do the honors...

In the meantime, its back to staring at the still-in-the-box package, in awe! :) :slight_smile:
Upon first twenty or so hours of listen time, please post some prescient thoughts / impressions on initial experience.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,021 of 6,785
Upon first twenty or so hours of listen time, please post some prescient thoughts / impressions on initial experience.

Will do that.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,022 of 6,785

I've been waiting impatiently for my LCD-5, since I sent my my LCD-4 in for the swap. Now that it is here, I'm kind of feeling too preoccupied with other tasks to even open the box, talk less of giving it a listen. I could of course drop everything and open it, but I wouldn't want to do that just to give it a hasty 30 minute look over, which is all the time I would have at my disposal for it today. I figure that once opened, I 'll ideally need at least 3 hours to give it a proper welcome dance, and that anything less would be too pathetic to befit the grandness, the dignity, the class, and gravitas of these cans... So I am thinking of waiting till Friday to do the honors...

In the meantime, its back to staring at the still-in-the-box package, in awe! :) :slight_smile:
Well, it could be burning in (if you subscribe to that philosophy...I do) between now and Friday. Maybe you could even sneak small flirtatious moments with it in private before you are able to fully devote your time. Just a thought...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #2,023 of 6,785
Not sure what happened but these are not the same headphones that I start listening 4 days ago, burning in maybe?
I'm running them on my iBasso DX300 (Amp 12) at High gain 80% volume on Spotify listening random songs and I'm in audiophile heaven...

The clamp still is too much for me and my ears hurts after 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,024 of 6,785
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,025 of 6,785
Not sure what happened but these are not the same headphones that I start listening 4 days ago, burning in maybe?
I'm running them on my iBasso DX300 (Amp 12) at High gain 80% volume on Spotify listening random songs and I'm in audiophile heaven...

The clamp still is too much for me and my ears hurts after 2-3 hours.
Don't give up hope on the clamping. Audeze posted earlier on this thread that they are aware of the clamping issues with the headband. As soon as they can get a handle on filling their current backlog of orders for LCD-5s, they will offer a replacement headband that does not clamp as much. They inferred (Audeze, please correct me if I'm wrong), that current owners can trade their excessive clamping headband for the newer, low-clamping force headband for no charge...at least at the beginning. They also talked about offering longer yoke rods (the older LCD versions are not compatible) on their site for an additional charge. It's what they do now with the older LCD headphones. I have to use the longer rods for my oversized head.
Audeze asked the owners who are concerned with comfort issues to be patient. They are aware of the comfort issues and plan to offer alternatives to help address them. It's just going to take a little time. As for me? I'll keep hitting the refresh button on their site, looking for the longer LCD-5 Yoke Rods to appear.
Hope this helps...
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back