Audeze LCD-4
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #7,366 of 11,994
I used to have the same sentiments as the recent comments here. I got the O2 amp too and used 1x and 2.5x gain with solid silver RCAs and on the LCD2c it can sound sufficient and better than Hugo 2 straight. 1x gain was sufficient and gave better blacks and separation. But on the LCD 3, ( I don't own the 4, only demoed) the O2 can sound small and grainy where in straight on the Hugo 2 is a better experience. I've tried the Questyle 600 which does current but it can sound 'small/far'. I made the jump on the Bakoon HPA01 and I may have to start saying it made the Audeze sound like a new pair of HPs seeing that ppl think Hugo 2 is sufficient. I would have agreed with you before looking at the math (headphone calculator) and all but I'm also here now advocating to do yourself and your Audeze a favor by giving it some current amplification love. I got to try the RE: Leaf e3 amp $7k and it gave a similar drive to the Audeze albeit too much money and power. It's not solely a power thing but how the amp is designed and how much current (and less voltage) it is feeding the HP.

With the Bakoon, things sound big. Less congestion. Very effortless. Very wide (natural). Very smooth. Amazing separation where 2 vocals are actually not in harmony as i once thought, and guitar plucks actually sound different from each other than sounding generally the same. Not peaky. What I appreciate finally and this is also due to the rest of the chain is that I don't find myself playing with the volume up and down in tracks where I usually do especially leading edge on a female vocal. For me, it means there is no congestion / compression in those regions made by the devices.

So please tell me exactly how you determined the output Current is the exact thing that is creating all the qualities you enjoy with the Bakoon. You’ve measured the output? We are 100% in agreement that implementation is the key, but you seem to think that the amount of Current being used at the headphone is astronomically different from amp to amp (that’s the impression I’m reading). Sure, an iPhone, most portable players, and many amps will not be able to do the LCD-4 justice with power output, or quality implementation. But to even say the TT2 doesn’t have enough Current is ignorant (meant as uninformed).

The Bakoon HPA01 has a max output of 1W @ 50 Ohms. Since Watts = Voltage x Current you really aren’t getting more Current from the Bakoon output than the Hugo2, and certainly no where near what the TT2 can deliver. Current mode amplification is not the same as more Current output, it’s just a different implementation like feed forward designs, or differential designs, etc. You are also making the mistake of thinking that the transducer will actually use more or less Current depending on the source. It won’t as long as the source can deliver what the headphone needs. The headphone will always use what it needs at a certain SPL. The design of the headphone will not change depending on the source. It’s electrical basics and they don’t change.

It sounds like you really enjoy the HPA01, which is great, but I have an issue with your conclusions. Seems to me you’ve read the Bakoon marketing spin a little too much. Current amplification designs still output Voltage along with the Current. Every amp on the planet does, and has to.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #7,367 of 11,994
I'm really cracking my head on it... are you denying Ohm's law here? Or saying the Hugo is able to break it by delivering less current at a certain voltage with the 200 Ohm LCD4 load than desired/dictated by Ohm's law?

From my understanding, each amp device has it's own mixture of voltage + current to send to the HP and this is why we are getting different responses on each device. Even on the same headphone amp, we get a different sound at 10 o'clock , 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock while having a DAC with variable volume control to compensate so one gets the same volume output. While I kinda get what your asking and at the same time I don't understand the physics/response of things, the different sound response on a headphone amp at different volume positions means it's feeding a different load of current and voltage to the HP.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #7,368 of 11,994
To add, I tried the Hifiman He1k and He1k SE on the Bakoon and the Bakoon had a hard time. I had to be max on both the Hugo and the Bakoon. Despite being planar and 35ohms, it's 90db sensitivity made it want more voltage than current. This is validated by trying it on an IFI stack where with 1x gain it sounds far and lacks drive. Adding gain gives it that needed energy to sound right.

LCD 3 and 4, despite having 110 ohms and 200 ohms, it's 102 and 97 db sensitivity makes it lean more towards current.

Sigh... no, the 90dB sensitivity does not want more Voltage than Current. It just means it’s less efficient at moving the membrane. The 35 Ohms wants more Current than Voltage than the LCD-4. Ohms law. Read about it.

Edit: just adjusting the gain on the iFi stack doesn’t just throw more Current than Voltage. It would increase both. Also, are you volume matching different sources before coming to your conclusions? This is essential as louder always sounds better. High gain that is volume matched to low gain will output the exact same power on the same device.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #7,369 of 11,994
From my understanding, each amp device has it's own mixture of voltage + current to send to the HP and this is why we are getting different responses on each device. Even on the same headphone amp, we get a different sound at 10 o'clock , 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock while having a DAC with variable volume control to compensate so one gets the same volume output. While I kinda get what your asking and at the same time I don't understand the physics/response of things, the different sound response on a headphone amp at different volume positions means it's feeding a different load of current and voltage to the HP.

I thought about that too, but then there is Ohm's law, which dictates a certain fixed current corresponding with a given voltage (granted the amp can keep up supplying it).

I have a hard time believing that those amps would not be able to deliver the needed current.

On the other hand, if the amp pushes more current to the load, voltage will need to rise automatically. If voltage can't rise, it can't push hard enough to push more electrons through the bottleneck (impedance).

I sometimes tend to see it as a motorway: if you want more electrons to pass on your filled 3 lane motorway, they'll have to pass at a faster rate. But then again electricity moves at a fixed speed I thought, so then I just loose it :p

Back on topic: wouldn't this indicate INTERNAL differences changing the signal rather than a different voltage/current ratio at the very output?

Sure somebody must have measured this stuff as well...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #7,370 of 11,994
From my understanding, each amp device has it's own mixture of voltage + current to send to the HP and this is why we are getting different responses on each device.

This is where the misunderstanding is. Each amp has a different total capacity to deliver Voltage and Current, but the transducer will only use what it needs, and its requirements won’t change from amp to amp. It’s up to the amp to have enough capability to provide more than what the headphone is designed to use for a given SPL. If there’s not enough then the transducer won’t perform. Once there is enough for a given SPL then the transducer will perform as designed. After that is covered it’s implementation, tuning, and distortions that define the sound to synergize with the headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #7,371 of 11,994
So please tell me exactly how you determined the output Current is the exact thing that is creating all the qualities you enjoy with the Bakoon. You’ve measured the output? We are 100% in agreement that implementation is the key, but you seem to think that the amount of Current being used at the headphone is astronomically different from amp to amp (that’s the impression I’m reading). Sure, an iPhone, most portable players, and many amps will not be able to do the LCD-4 justice with power output, or quality implementation. But to even say the TT2 doesn’t have enough Current is ignorant (meant as uninformed).

The Bakoon HPA01 has a max output of 1W @ 50 Ohms. Since Watts = Voltage x Current you really aren’t getting more Current from the Bakoon output than the Hugo2, and certainly no where near what the TT2 can deliver. Current mode amplification is not the same as more Current output, it’s just a different implementation like feed forward designs, or differential designs, etc. You are also making the mistake of thinking that the transducer will actually use more or less Current depending on the source. It won’t as long as the source can deliver what the headphone needs. The headphone will always use what it needs at a certain SPL. The design of the headphone will not change depending on the source. It’s electrical basics and they don’t change.

It sounds like you really enjoy the HPA01, which is great, but I have an issue with your conclusions. Seems to me you’ve read the Bakoon marketing spin a little too much. Current amplification designs still output Voltage along with the Current. Every amp on the planet does, and has to.

Ah gotcha. Let's scratch my ''explanation' of things coz I'm doing a terrible job connecting it with my experience on HP + amp matching. Maybe it's simply an implementation thing. Coz it's certainly not a lack of power with the Hugo 2. I'm just light green to cyan on the Hugo 2 and it's giving me this SQ quality while on the Bakoon, the Hugo2 is 1-2 clicks to white. My commentary here is because I used to stubbornly believe the Hugo 2 (and 1) was sufficient because look, it's barely blue on the volume, I wanted to keep things simple and some amps I've tried before were 'ok'. But after much trials, I learned I was selling myself short on the experience and on HP choice. My demo on the LCD 3 and 4 before on the Hugo 2 was 'meh, it's okay but not worth the $$'. But now, it's a hard to beat combo that I want to share to others.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #7,372 of 11,994
Ah gotcha. Let's scratch my ''explanation' of things coz I'm doing a terrible job connecting it with my experience on HP + amp matching. Maybe it's simply an implementation thing. Coz it's certainly not a lack of power with the Hugo 2. I'm just light green to cyan on the Hugo 2 and it's giving me this SQ quality while on the Bakoon the Hugo is 1-2 clicks to white. My commentary here is because I used to stubbornly believe the Hugo 2 (and 1) was sufficient because look, it's barely blue on the volume, I wanted to keep things simple and some amps I've tried before were 'ok'. But after much trials, I learned I was selling myself short on the experience and on HP choice. My demo on the LCD 3 and 4 before on the Hugo 2 was 'meh, it's okay but not worth the $$'. But now, it's a hard to beat combo that I want to share to others.

Enjoyment is paramount so it’s awesome you found the Bakoon. The expense in this hobby is trying different things to figure out what sounds best to each individual! The issue comes from misleading comments that become repeated and then false myths are born.

Sharing experience is also great, so it’s good to read what you like with the LCD-4, but keep in mind that it doesn’t mean that will be everyone else’s preference as well, which is why I recommended that the OP who asked if it sounds good audition the pairing.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #7,374 of 11,994
Right. And to go with what your saying, not all current amps are the same coz the Questyle wasn't all that in delivering energy to planars. And I'm curious on the THX 789 and how it holds up.

The THX designs look very intriguing to me as well, mostly for their low distortion characteristics. I’ve read some good impressions about them.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #7,375 of 11,994
I wonder if it's a 'gain' thing. High gain on the Bakoon has similar but smoother sound as the Hugo 2. Though I'm not sure if one can reduce an input signal to get a lower noise situation.

With that said, this is why I got too much into this voltage this vs current that coz when amps talk about gain they talk about increasing voltage. But for planars, what responds well is 'less gain' so from my understanding, it means more current has to be fed to volume match with a higher gain setting.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #7,376 of 11,994
For a long time now, I’ve remained confused by Head-Fi’s email preferences. Some threads, I only get notifications for once in a while. Sometimes, I get notifications for every new post. One of these days I will have to figure out it.

One thing’s for sure, I get email updates for every single post to this thread...and I have for years, ever since I became determined to buy a pair of these headphones. And, I can say quite authoritatively that I’m growing tired of seeing the same nonsensical conversation flood my email inbox once every few months, and I can no longer sit on the sidelines here and just let this take place. I feel as if I may have responded before to this particular topic of discussion on this thread, but I can’t remember.

According to the above poster, based on the numbers, even the output of an iPhone is sufficient to drive the LCD4s to “sufficiently loud” levels. This is beyond nonsensical. Having now owned 3 separate iPhones & an iPad during the time I’ve owned my 4s, I can tell you confidently that at maximum volume, they are barely audible above ambient noise in the house.

Furthermore, for about 7 months, my only manner of amplification for the 4s was the Chord Mojo. This was capable of pushing my HD700s not just to the point of physical pain, but indeed well past it. In fact I’m almost certain it had enough power to damage them if played at max volume. Certainly couldn’t put them anywhere near my head at that level. However - the LCD4s are a different story entirely. While it was just barely capable of driving them, it certainly was not to full potential. It began to distort and clip at power levels required to reach what I consider adequate volume. Now, it still had room to go on the dial...er...buttons...and, yes, it could certainly reproduce noise of some sort at high volume levels. But quite clearly the amplifier did not have control of the driver at all at this point. You could turn a Mojo all the way up into a pair of LCD4s, however all you’d get is static, noise & distortion. You wouldn’t have anything close to listenable music. The power was just not there. It’s quite obvious the voltage is not there. The circuitry does not have the power to deliver the full spectrum of frequencies at the proper level of power. It simply will not work. I may like listening louder than some, but even at what I consider to be low listening volumes, it was apparent the output stage of the Mojo was tapped out. It had nothing more to give. It was not meant to drive power-hungry high-impedance planars.

Finally, I purchased a Pro iCan, and suffice it to say the difference vastly exceeds “night and day” - with proper power available, any amount of voltage or current required at any point in in the signal is available. The bass hits hard, the treble is clean and distortion free, even at volumes that are well past what I can stand to listen to. Again, this amplifier has enough power, on the right track, to damage the 4s, most likely. Although I confess with some extremely quiet lossless tracks, I use high gain and can get close to the maximum volume just fine, mostly because the incoming signal is so low.

It’s quite obvious that these, along with a few other headphones, need power to function properly. Constantly regurgitating the same line about dB/mW is nonsensical and hardly all there is to the picture. I’m quite sure that with an amplifier that was designed a certain way, you could certainly get a single tone with no complexity out of the LCD4s at 120 dB with 36 mW. I’m sure it’s possible. In terms of distortion, or for how long, I don’t know. I suppose if adequate voltage was being supplied, it could work. But that’s not what music is, nor is the same as a highly complex input signal with many, many complex frequencies and transients covering a massive dynamic range with huge differences in harmonics, tonality & timing. Equating a pure sine wave in a lab to reproducing complex music is to be disconnected from reality. That’s not at all how any of this works. And, that’s assuming the numbers given by Audeze are dead accurate, and that the numbers given by all amp manufacturers are dead on. It’s quite obvious that the LCD4s along with other planars, need voltage to function properly. And I promise you’re not getting it as needed from a Chord Mojo. You’re getting closer with Hugo 2, I personally have not heard the combo but I’d like something for transporting around the house and to the office, so it’s been in the back of my mind. I suspect, given the specs, that it’s still not ideal. Headphones like the HE-6, Susvara, LCD4s, Abyss and maybe a few others will only ever benefit from as much voltage as you can throw at them. Suggesting that you can power them properly with a tiny little device simply because theoretically it outputs the correct mW rating to produce a sine wave at some given dB/mW rating is not just reductionist, it’s fantastical and incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #7,377 of 11,994
To go with what your saying, a graph of the 800s shows that it's lower mids (or bass) needs 700ohms. That one graph scenario made me understand that maybe there's something to how an HP FR in certain regions need more ohms than rated. And this graph is consistent with what I hear is lacking when a Hugo 2 is driving a pair of 800s. Planars are a different story
and doesn't respond this way of course but maybe there's another factor to consider.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #7,378 of 11,994
For a long time now, I’ve remained confused by Head-Fi’s email preferences. Some threads, I only get notifications for once in a while. Sometimes, I get notifications for every new post. One of these days I will have to figure out it.

One thing’s for sure, I get email updates for every single post to this thread...and I have for years, ever since I became determined to buy a pair of these headphones. And, I can say quite authoritatively that I’m growing tired of seeing the same nonsensical conversation flood my email inbox once every few months, and I can no longer sit on the sidelines here and just let this take place. I feel as if I may have responded before to this particular topic of discussion on this thread, but I can’t remember.

According to the above poster, based on the numbers, even the output of an iPhone is sufficient to drive the LCD4s to “sufficiently loud” levels. This is beyond nonsensical. Having now owned 3 separate iPhones & an iPad during the time I’ve owned my 4s, I can tell you confidently that at maximum volume, they are barely audible above ambient noise in the house.

Furthermore, for about 7 months, my only manner of amplification for the 4s was the Chord Mojo. This was capable of pushing my HD700s not just to the point of physical pain, but indeed well past it. In fact I’m almost certain it had enough power to damage them if played at max volume. Certainly couldn’t put them anywhere near my head at that level. However - the LCD4s are a different story entirely. While it was just barely capable of driving them, it certainly was not to full potential. It began to distort and clip at power levels required to reach what I consider adequate volume. Now, it still had room to go on the dial...er...buttons...and, yes, it could certainly reproduce noise of some sort at high volume levels. But quite clearly the amplifier did not have control of the driver at all at this point. You could turn a Mojo all the way up into a pair of LCD4s, however all you’d get is static, noise & distortion. You wouldn’t have anything close to listenable music. The power was just not there. It’s quite obvious the voltage is not there. The circuitry does not have the power to deliver the full spectrum of frequencies at the proper level of power. It simply will not work. I may like listening louder than some, but even at what I consider to be low listening volumes, it was apparent the output stage of the Mojo was tapped out. It had nothing more to give. It was not meant to drive power-hungry high-impedance planars.

Finally, I purchased a Pro iCan, and suffice it to say the difference vastly exceeds “night and day” - with proper power available, any amount of voltage or current required at any point in in the signal is available. The bass hits hard, the treble is clean and distortion free, even at volumes that are well past what I can stand to listen to. Again, this amplifier has enough power, on the right track, to damage the 4s, most likely. Although I confess with some extremely quiet lossless tracks, I use high gain and can get close to the maximum volume just fine, mostly because the incoming signal is so low.

It’s quite obvious that these, along with a few other headphones, need power to function properly. Constantly regurgitating the same line about dB/mW is nonsensical and hardly all there is to the picture. I’m quite sure that with an amplifier that was designed a certain way, you could certainly get a single tone with no complexity out of the LCD4s at 120 dB with 36 mW. I’m sure it’s possible. In terms of distortion, or for how long, I don’t know. I suppose if adequate voltage was being supplied, it could work. But that’s not what music is, nor is the same as a highly complex input signal with many, many complex frequencies and transients covering a massive dynamic range with huge differences in harmonics, tonality & timing. Equating a pure sine wave in a lab to reproducing complex music is to be disconnected from reality. That’s not at all how any of this works. And, that’s assuming the numbers given by Audeze are dead accurate, and that the numbers given by all amp manufacturers are dead on. It’s quite obvious that the LCD4s along with other planars, need voltage to function properly. And I promise you’re not getting it as needed from a Chord Mojo. You’re getting closer with Hugo 2, I personally have not heard the combo but I’d like something for transporting around the house and to the office, so it’s been in the back of my mind. I suspect, given the specs, that it’s still not ideal. Headphones like the HE-6, Susvara, LCD4s, Abyss and maybe a few others will only ever benefit from as much voltage as you can throw at them. Suggesting that you can power them properly with a tiny little device simply because theoretically it outputs the correct mW rating to produce a sine wave at some given dB/mW rating is not just reductionist, it’s fantastical and incorrect.

If you are referring to me, I didn’t say anything about the Mojo and I certainly didn’t say an iPhone can power the LCD-4. I really think you should re-read what I wrote because I did not say anything about a tiny device driving anything and I’m not talking about sine waves but rather 120dB peaks in music which is louder than you should ever want to listen (threshold of pain). Please quote me where I say 36mW is enough for 120dB. That’s ridiculous and not possible. Also, I never said that anything with enough power will sound good... just that the conclusions about what exactly is doing what are being misrepresented. I own a powerful amp that sounds good to me... doesn’t mean I don’t understand what the difference is between implementation and power output actually being used.

Planars like Current and as a resistive load they don’t really change frequency response with output impedance, and it’s not just about Voltage amount... nobody said it was. If I said in a car forum that the performance of a car is just due to insane horsepower I would be corrected. I said adequate power for the transducer with some headroom to reach the desired SPL (obviously for the track being played) is required and good implementation is needed, and even Audeze recommends the Hugo2. I initially recommended the OP audition it as obviously different tastes apply. It was pointed out that the Hugo2 doesn’t have enough Current which is, in fact, a false conclusion... if it were close to not enough then I wouldn’t say anything, but it’s got so much headroom for Current with the LCD-4 it can’t be up for debate. There was a side rail based on basic understanding of Current output. So what. It’s a discussion.

What I find non-sensical is that just because an amp sounds fuller with more separation, etc., it’s presumed that it’s just because of power output. There are plenty of flat / thin / bright powerful amps out there, and plenty of full and warmer sounding weaker amps out there. That’s the point I’m making and there is a lot more to discuss regarding implementation and sound quality and synergy, but it seems to always just be assumed it’s the power output amount providing the quality. Whatever, keep thinking that if you like but please don’t misrepresent what I said..

By the way, I didn’t start the power discussion, that was 801evan.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #7,379 of 11,994
To go with what your saying, a graph of the 800s shows that it's lower mids (or bass) needs 700ohms. That one graph scenario made me understand that maybe there's something to how an HP FR in certain regions need more ohms than rated. And this graph is consistent with what I hear is lacking when a Hugo 2 is driving a pair of 800s. Planars are a different story
and doesn't respond this way of course but maybe there's another factor to consider.

Planars don’t change impedance with frequency response. For example, the Utopia’s dynamic driver bass around 50-60Hz is 300 Ohms compared to around 80 Ohms at 1kHz, while the LCD-4 is dead flat across the spectrum.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #7,380 of 11,994
If you are referring to me, I didn’t say anything about the Mojo and I certainly didn’t say an iPhone can power the LCD-4. I really think you should re-read what I wrote because I did not say anything about a tiny device driving anything and I’m not talking about sine waves but rather 120dB peaks in music which is louder than you should ever want to listen (threshold of pain). Please quote me where I say 36mW is enough for 120dB. That’s ridiculous and not possible. Also, I never said that anything with enough power will sound good... just that the conclusions about what exactly is doing what are being misrepresented. I own a powerful amp that sounds good to me... doesn’t mean I don’t understand what the difference is between implementation and power output actually being used.

Planars like Current and as a resistive load they don’t really change frequency response with output impedance, and it’s not just about Voltage amount... nobody said it was. If I said in a car forum that the performance of a car is just due to insane horsepower I would be corrected. I said adequate power for the transducer with some headroom to reach the desired SPL (obviously for the track being played) is required and good implementation is needed, and even Audeze recommends the Hugo2. I initially recommended the OP audition it as obviously different tastes apply. It was pointed out that the Hugo2 doesn’t have enough Current which is, in fact, a false conclusion... if it were close to not enough then I wouldn’t say anything, but it’s got so much headroom for Current with the LCD-4 it can’t be up for debate. There was a side rail based on basic understanding of Current output. So what. It’s a discussion.

What I find non-sensical is that just because an amp sounds fuller with more separation, etc., it’s presumed that it’s just because of power output. There are plenty of flat / thin / bright powerful amps out there, and plenty of full and warmer sounding weaker amps out there. That’s the point I’m making and there is a lot more to discuss regarding implementation and sound quality and synergy, but it seems to always just be assumed it’s the power output amount providing the quality. Whatever, keep thinking that if you like but please don’t misrepresent what I said..

By the way, I didn’t start the power discussion, that was 801evan.

Seems like Audio-Phile thought you wrote 36mW instead of 36mA @ 6V (200mW). It's been a while since physics but I think this is where his confusion is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back