Audeze LCD-4
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #7,336 of 11,986
If you don’t get the felt, I would suggest putting the phones on and taking them off very slowly to avoid abrupt pressure changes. I would also avoid moving them around a lot or pushing in on the housing once they’re on your head. I recall the LCD4 without the felt creating a very tight seal which will transfer any movements to the diaphragm.

Yep I've already learned to do that pretty early. The first time I put on the LCD-4s, I put them on fast, and heard the vacuum seal shifting the diaphragm around. Sounds kind of like paper crinkling. But if I take off and put on the headphones slowly, I don't hear anything. It's almost comical how slow I take them off now, compared to my LCD-3 and previous Audeze headphones...though I probably should have been more gentle with those too.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #7,338 of 11,986
I have owned LCD2c, LCD3, LCD4z, LCD-X, and LCDi4. Not a single problem with any of them at all. Hope I am not jinxing myself now...
Touch wood, my LCD2-C and LCD4s 2018 are A OK so far. TBH I love them so much, I would not go elsewhere even if I had an issue. My Stax 009s blew up at 23 months, and I was super careful with them.

I store my LCD4s on the Woo Audio stand and under a glass bell jar (stuffed bird type). Works a treat. I leave a small gap to vent underneath. Absolutely no dust issues. And looks cool. I'll post a pic later.

So be very careful when handling the phones as you have discussed, also storage look for a dust free solution and out of the sun or near a radiator. Also don't leave them plugged in 24/7 if your amp is on all the time.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #7,340 of 11,986
I think it was a Burson( which I have sold then...as punishment) but I am also careful when swapping headphones during listening, to turn the volume down before I plug any Audeze into the amp.

jesus i didn't know it was risky.... i had 7 pairs of audezes among other planars and i always keep them connected!!! now i am scared

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #7,341 of 11,986
every headphone sadly has problems, thankfully audeze is simply head and shoulders better than anyone else in terms of customer service...truly outstanding

So like the Porsche of headphones?

Excellent build quality and customer service, but repairs can be notoriously expensive when not under warranty.

Then does that make HiFi-Man the Ferrari/Lambo?

Beautiful, exotic, over engineered, and prone to failure.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #7,343 of 11,986
i do not believe that audeze is any longer anymore prone to failures than other brands but i do know having owned them all that audeze's customer service stands out and is simply the best

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #7,344 of 11,986
So like the Porsche of headphones?

IMG_20190214_122320281_HDR.jpg Pretty much the way I feel.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #7,345 of 11,986
HiFiMan overengineer? hahahahaha.

The man does have a terminal degree in Physics/EE right? Maybe over-engineered isn’t right, but certainly seems like he spends too much time on the drivers (engine) and not enough on the suspension (headband/connectors). So much like those pretty Lambos/Rari’s it’s got some nifty engineering in one place (the engine/drivers) and none elsewhere (those intolerable POS headbands and the infamous 2.5mm connectors)

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #7,347 of 11,986
HiFiMan overengineer? hahahahaha.

With the nano-technology drivers and "lighter than air" membranes I'd say they are overengineered. Hifiman is like those people who put Hayabusa motorcycle engines in gokarts, the form is terrible but the heart of the machine is a wonder.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #7,350 of 11,986
If you are in the market for a new headphone amp to pair with Audeze, Bakoon HPA01 is your best bet. Runs on batteries for a cleaner sound and the current mode amplification is a match made in heaven with the LCD line up

actually i ordered an otl because i want to try it with zmf hps. i was wondering if could drive an lcd4.
thanks for the advice anyway, but honeslty if i had to spend that kind of money i would by other amps more versatile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back