Audeze LCD-4
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #7,396 of 11,995
You are probably just hitting a sweet spot, looking at that THD graph, for the 150 Ohm case around 1V is the lowest distortion so by adjusting the gain on the H2 you may be in that region, it could more complex than that though. This amp probably sounds tube like, it has quite high distortion for a solid state.

Quite helpful. I'll try to acclimate myself to this and see how it goes and try keeping the Hugo at below 1v and use the Bakoon for volume adjustment. I can hear right away how piano strikes are more realistic and less harsh when it's one click lower from somewhere around the 1v mark. Interestingly, volume is still at 12 o'clock on the Bakoon too. The volume at 12:30 that can come across as ''more exciting", "more energy" is actually distortion. Now I have to remember the albums where I had the hugo 2 set over 3v. Thanks!!

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #7,397 of 11,995
I own the LCD-3 and absolutely love them and have been contemplating at move up to the LCD-4. Has anyone else made this jump, is it justifiable? Well, that is loaded, one can justify anything, but you know what I mean. I don't care for the aesthetics of the grills, does anyone know if you can request black/other ones from Audeze, or possibly purchase others and swap them out? I would be driving these my current rig, Ifi Pro DSD into a Ican amp..

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #7,398 of 11,995
I have never seen nor experienced the LCD-3, so I can't say I have made the jump from the LCD-3, so I can't help you there... However, I am looking at the 4 from the viewpoint of the LCD-X, and the LCDi4, which I own, and also from that of the MX4, which I owned for about a month, not too long ago.... So do I think the jump is worth it?

Abso-friggin-lutely! This unit has a very charming musicality about its "darkness" that sets it apart... from the others... For the type of music I listen to, the quality of the 4 is simply hypnotic... I mean the sound sig has this dark gravitas about it, which seems to get me all the time. I definitely think it has something ti do with the tuning on the bass, and how it synchs with the mids... Obviously, it would be better for you to audition it first, because I think the charm might be personal and depend on synergy with a rig, as well as the type of music one likes. There is that other question that is also extremely personal : i.e. the question as to whether the investment in $$$ is worth it... It is one i am never able to answer satisfactorily for anyone (including myself, BTW)... However, I suppose if you're considering this seriously, then you may have already made your peace with that question....

I am saying a big yes to this endorsement, but without having tried the LCD-3 on before, so make of this what you see fit:)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #7,399 of 11,995
I currently own the LCD-3,4,MX4, and 2 closed. So very familiar with Audeze sound. I feel the 4 is a step up in every way over the 3. Except if you like a relaxed presentation. The 3 is better with harsh recordings. The 4 can be an all out assault on your senses. I love them. Listening to them as I type this. Oh and I also have the i4's as well. Same sound signature as the 4 without the slam and smaller soundstage. For a portable set they are unbeatable.

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #7,400 of 11,995
I currently own the LCD-3,4,MX4, and 2 closed. So very familiar with Audeze sound. I feel the 4 is a step up in every way over the 3. Except if you like a relaxed presentation. The 3 is better with harsh recordings. The 4 can be an all out assault on your senses. I love them. Listening to them as I type this. Oh and I also have the i4's as well. Same sound signature as the 4 without the slam and smaller soundstage. For a portable set they are unbeatable.
Agree. I once owned LCD3 pre-fazor, and wish I had kept those. Oh well. Anyway the LCD4z and i4 are sublime and I still wonder how LCD4 compares. Maybe someday I will find out.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #7,401 of 11,995
I tried several LCDs. I owned a LCD2rev2 and LCD2C. I tried LCD-X, LCD2 (new), LCD3 (first generation), LCD3 Fazor ... and LCD4.
I prefer my LCD2rev2 over the LCD2C, LCD3 fazor, LCD-X and LCD2 Fazor. Particularly the sub are better on the LCD2rev2
Now when I tried the LCD3 first generation, I was really impressed.
Then recently I tried the LCD4. Those are incredible. Before trying them I was thinking "It's 4 times the price for probably 20% better". I was wrong it is two times better. From top to bottom everything is extremely detailed and delicate. The only thing that isn't delicate are the sub, they are violent, powerful and precise, . Coming from the LCD2rev2 I wouldn't call them dark at all.
However a very good amp is required to make them shine (I use a audio-gd HE9). My only big problem was the fact that the right driver died during the tests...
Anyway the sound was so incredible that I decided to make the jump as soon I can.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #7,402 of 11,995
Oh, and i have to say something about the Scaling powers of the LCD-4, which become very evident when you switch amps on it, especially if those amps have some decent quality and calibre. E.g. They play very nicely with the Monolith Cavalli Liquid Platinum, which is the amp which I first used to audition the 4s. Now, I thought this particular rig (Metrum Ambre ==>> Metrum Onyx==>> Liquid Platinum) was absolutely killing it already, until I decided to try the 4s on my other Yggdrasil 2 based rig (Metrum Amber==>> Yggdrasil2 ==>> Violectric V281). On this 2nd rig, the LCD 4 opens up even more, increasing the size of the sound stage, and throwing a lot more air around the instruments... The bass also seems to slam and punch harder on this rig. In short, the Yggy2 V281 rig seems to take to the LCD-4s a few important notches higher on the performance scale, and the effect is very impressive.

The issue I am pointing out is that I have gone back and forth between those same two rigs with other cans of mine, and I do not often detect such ample changes in performance, and sound signature... So it makes me think that the LCD-4 must be really on to something, in this scaling department too,

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #7,403 of 11,995
Yep I agree. On average rig it will a bit better than other headphones but with a great rig it will be vastly better.
All my friends who works in the music/studio told me they never heard such sound in their life. Those big boys killed everyone who tried them. They was all wondering if they were on drug or something :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #7,404 of 11,995
I agree, the 4 scales very well. Going from Metrom muesette>Burson Soloist to Yggy>Woo WA5 the 4 really shows an improvement. Much bigger jump than my 3 or even 800S did. The Utopia I have also scales well. The whole chain is a factor at the level of the LCD-4.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7,405 of 11,995
I agree that the 4 is a huge step up from the 3s. The 3s are more forgiving because they cannot bring out the details of the music nearly as well as the 4s. Sonic bliss.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #7,406 of 11,995
My amp is an Ifi ICan..nice little amp and switchable between discrete and tube and can put out substantial power, so not worried about that. I listen to flacs (CD ripped) and higher like Hirez downloads or Tidal, so the source material should be pretty good. I pulled the trigger and bought a pair, should be here by mid next week, cannot wait..

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #7,407 of 11,995
My amp is an Ifi ICan..nice little amp and switchable between discrete and tube and can put out substantial power, so not worried about that. I listen to flacs (CD ripped) and higher like Hirez downloads or Tidal, so the source material should be pretty good. I pulled the trigger and bought a pair, should be here by mid next week, cannot wait..
You are in for a treat. your amp will allow these birds to sing.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #7,408 of 11,995

Welcome to the Dark Side of Summit-Fi

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #7,409 of 11,995
Im quite happy with my rig. But It would be Nice to try something Else. The 430had is the best i have tried. But i havent tried cavalli or violectric or any schiit products. Anyone compared the 430had to any of these?

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #7,410 of 11,995
I'm running the 4s out of a benchmark DAC 3 HGC. Sadly I can't really compare it to other dac/amp combos as it relates to "opening up", but it certainly seems to work quite well for my tastes. Until some magic headphone comes along that is what i'd call "holographic" I cant really see myself needed or wanting any other headphone.

-ninja edit- Almost for got. Poor Relic, I know electrical theory pretty well. I just chose to stay out of the voltage, current, impedance, gigawatts debate :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back