Audeze LCD-4
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #7,126 of 12,024
I've followed your reviews - thanks for the work you do! Have you had a chance to try the Denafrips Terminator? It improved my listening experience substantially over the Yggy. I've never heard the Dave or other high-end DACs though, and I'm curious how it stacks up.

Thanks man! Sorry, I haven't had a chance to try the Terminator yet.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #7,127 of 12,024
So you're saying the LCD-4 is just about as revealing of DACs as the Stax SR-009 or even Focal Utopia or Sennheiser HD 800?

I'm sure the DAVE would bring slight improvements with the LCD-4, but it's way past the point of diminishing returns for the LCD-4. Only on head-fi will you see people saying you need a 5 figure DAC for the LCD-4, that's just terrible and disingenous advice and this is the sort of thing that turns people away from head-fi and makes them think it's a joke.

Honestly I would say people spending 5 figures on a DAC for just a headphone system and ignoring speakers at that point just don't have their priorities in order.

I do not think that anyone suggests you HAVE to buy anything or use anything with your LCD-4....only that if you have the funds available that the sound will be that much better if you do....a honda is a fine car to drive but a mercedes is better....doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the honda

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #7,128 of 12,024
That's where this discussion started. I have anything but a dull DAC (Chord Hugo 2), and my initial point was that the LCD-4 is NOT very DAC picky... nor very amp picky, by $4,000 headphone standards. The Hugo 2 adds at most a 15% improvement over the Mojo with the LCD-4 + Pure BiPolar, while the Hugo 2 adds more like a 300% improvement with the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon. Something like a Focal Utopia or Abyss Phi CC will also benefit much more from DAC changes than the LCD-4.

Your LCD4 might have been different from others. From two different measurements from Bob and Tyll, it is quite evident. Bob's LCD4 was way better than Tyll's. These product variations should not happen for the one of the most expensive headphone in the world, IMO.

Source: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-16-smoking-gun

upload_2018-11-26_21-52-10.png

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #7,129 of 12,024
Your LCD4 might have been different from others. From two different measurements from Bob and Tyll, it is quite evident. Bob's LCD4 was way better than Tyll's. These product variations should not happen for the one of the most expensive headphone in the world, IMO.

Source: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-16-smoking-gun

Yes that makes me wonder. Audeze's driver variation is insane. It's because they do not have the production means of the likes of Focal much less Sennheiser. So called "basement hi-fi." I've heard two LCD-4's though I think one was the original one (100 ohms?) which didn't seem to have nearly as bad upper mid/lower treble recession, but then again that was a pretty loud environment.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #7,130 of 12,024

Yes that makes me wonder. Audeze's driver variation is insane. It's because they do not have the production means of the likes of Focal much less Sennheiser. So called "basement hi-fi." I've heard two LCD-4's though I think one was the original one (100 ohms?) which didn't seem to have nearly as bad upper mid/lower treble recession, but then again that was a pretty loud environment.

Before making absurd generalizations based on data points that suit said arguments and jumping to conclusion, know the complete history. Refer here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-utopia-and-audeze-lcd-4-current-measurements-and-plans

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #7,132 of 12,024
Basement HiFi... Seriously? For you to describe what many perceive as one of the greatest headphones to date this way makes you seem disconnected. Innovation is a process, not a light switch. Early runs had more variation, but Audeze has commented that their manufacturing process is continuously improving and variation is much less of a concern. Focal and Sennheiser also aren't creating sub-micron, matching membranes. Their driver designs lend to easier repeatability.

This is a matter of preference and has been beaten to death.

Perhaps buy a newer pair and give us your thoughts..:kissing_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #7,133 of 12,024
While some are busy bad-mouthing Audeze, I have spent what 20k+ hours over several years listening to Audeze headphones and loving every minute of it.
The i4 and 4z have been the best yet, and I truly love my X and had a memorable fling with LCD3 pre-fazor that should have been kept too.
SO The Audiophiles can look down their collective noses and pooh-pooh what a lot of peeps consider audio nirvana.
Me, I will just continue on in my ignorant bliss listening to my beloved Audeze headphones.
That is all. Life is good.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #7,135 of 12,024
I am using a phonitor 2 and moved away from my Jot. Just letting you know comparing the two, I found the harshness of the Jot to make the LCD-4 quite a bit worse. I love the rich but extremely smooth signature of the LCD-4. I had a chance to do side by side comparison on HD800, Utopia and LCD-4. I like my LCD-4 the most.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #7,139 of 12,024
You are welcome to drop by our factory in LA and judge for yourself if it is 'basement hi-fi'

IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4082.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG

Well said. I have to say I LOVE my LCD4s 2018 version.
I drive it from the Violectric V81 and my Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC. They sound perfect to my ears, and much more realistic than my Stax 009 and 007MK2 2017 off my Carbon amp.

I must say the Roon Audeze LCD4 EQ is bang in as well, it tweaks the FR and to my ears makes a big difference, taking it to another level.

Keep up the fabulous products Audeze!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #7,140 of 12,024
Well said. I have to say I LOVE my LCD4s 2018 version. I drive it from the Violectric V81 and my Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC. They sound perfect to my ears, and much more realistic than my Stax 009 and 007MK2 2017 off my Carbon amp.

I must say the Roon Audeze LCD4 EQ is bang in as well, it tweaks the FR and to my ears makes a big difference, taking it to another level.

Keep up the fabulous products Audeze!

Wait, I haven’t been in this forum for a while, what is this 2018 version? Are there SQ differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back