Audeze LCD-4
Nov 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #7,141 of 11,994
Wait, I haven’t been in this forum for a while, what is this 2018 version? Are there SQ differences?

I am quoting the 100ohm v 200ohm version. Note it sounds better still with a decent balanced cable like the Norne Draug all silver, especially out of the V281 (both amps in use).

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,142 of 11,994
+1 Love my LCD 4 with moon 430had and Roon with the Audeze filter. Using the braided Audeze balanced cable.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #7,143 of 11,994
Had a listen to the 4z in a quiet room at a show for about 10 minutes. From an iCan pro, iDSD pro with an A&K DAP.
It was very smooth, very similar tone to my LCD4 but I didn't get the sense of the 3D holographic multilayered sound stage I get on my system.
Maybe it was due to the iFi, hard to tell, but I couldn't live without that, its the best feature of the LCD4.

Also listened to some other stuff...
Voce on a Blue Hawaii - not very refined, Stax easily better
Meze Empyrean - doesn't compete with top tier for me, over priced, uncomfortable
Diana Phi - Boring and BS design, more uncomfortable than even the 1266 for me
Utopia - Liked it more this time, probably due to the 430HA, was not as bright
Stax 007 - Smooth, not hyper detailed like the 009 non s, still lacks impact
Stax 009s - Liked the 007 better (and the 009 non s)
HD820 - With Blu/Dave/CD, very clean sound but sound stage was too far back with empty space in between, one dimensional, not enveloping
HD820 - With HMS/TT2/Laptop, bright in comparison to the Blu/Dave which was far superior
I asked to connect the Blu2 to the TT2 for a better comparison using the same CD but the guy had no clue.

The 4z was best that day, then 007, Utopia, HD820 on Blu/Dave, 009s, Empyrean, Diana, Voce, HD820 on HMS/TT2

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #7,144 of 11,994
Nice report mixx. I had a similar summary after I was at Can-Jam in 2017. The 009 and BHSE to my ears was behind the LCD4 out of the GSX as regards realism and my ideal signature. You didn't hear the HE1? That is the best I have hear so far on cans. Mind, the 009 and LCD4 out of the Malvalve was really close, and cheaper as well.

I have my big Aries Cerat tube amp landing in 2 weeks, and it has a headphone output for high or low impedance types. I am thinking this will be end game for me... I'll report back soon on that.
Aries_Cerat_Genus_07.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_08.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_09.jpg

The headphone socket is to the left bottom of the speaker connections, and is a single ended 6.3mm socket.

The amplifier uses the big bottle 813 tubes and the smaller E280F tubes. Power output is 25 watts Class A.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #7,145 of 11,994
You didn't hear the HE1? That is the best I have hear so far on cans. Mind, the 009 and LCD4 out of the Malvalve was really close, and cheaper as well.

I heard the HE1 a few months ago, I wrote about it in here. It was the most natural sounding I have heard of anything ever.
But it wasn't perfect, it had some issues, I was looking out the window getting board a bit at times. Stats lack impact and dynamics to me, not as exciting.
The light was on for the tubes, this unit had some fizziness, bubbling going on, in the really thick but large sound stage, maybe it was the tubes.
I liked its sound stage a lot but I also like what the LCD4 does where the imaging is perfect and sounds seem to come from all around you.
I feel part of the music, the HE1 was more distant and not as involving but still probably the best sound stage.
I really like the Audeze "sound", I think the LCD5 may beat it (but not in price I hope), things are progressing fast.
The 009 was the first stat I ever heard a few years back, it wowed me the first 30 minutes with its hyper detail but then started sounding too artificial.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #7,148 of 11,994
I heard the HE1 a few months ago, I wrote about it in here. It was the most natural sounding I have heard of anything ever.
But it wasn't perfect, it had some issues, I was looking out the window getting board a bit at times. Stats lack impact and dynamics to me, not as exciting.
The light was on for the tubes, this unit had some fizziness, bubbling going on, in the really thick but large sound stage, maybe it was the tubes.
I liked its sound stage a lot but I also like what the LCD4 does where the imaging is perfect and sounds seem to come from all around you.
I feel part of the music, the HE1 was more distant and not as involving but still probably the best sound stage.
I really like the Audeze "sound", I think the LCD5 may beat it (but not in price I hope), things are progressing fast.
The 009 was the first stat I ever heard a few years back, it wowed me the first 30 minutes with its hyper detail but then started sounding too artificial.

Interesting. In the demo I had I didn't hear any problems, maybe the tubes were going in your demo unit? Yes, 009 has little body and weight, nd that combines with the feeling of lower dynamics even though it probably is dynamic. The treble energy overloads my ears TBH. The LCD4 out of the Violectric 281 is superb, so I am wondering how much more there is to have. I think there is a bit more, I got the impression of that on the Malvalve amplifier at Munich show, more soundstage and natural timbre, but without loosing transparency, something mainly seen in a great tube amp IMO.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #7,149 of 11,994
Off topic, but just wanted to say that as of last week, the LCD-4 is the finest sounding headphone I’ve ever heard! Unbelievable.
Used the Chord M Scaler/TT2 combo going in to a Trilogy 931 amp.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #7,150 of 11,994
The trilogy 931 is a fine amp but mid-fi Had Pavane/Trilogy 931 into LCD-4 and while it did sound good stepping up to the WA5 you get a much better sound experience. You have yet to hear what the LCD4 can do.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #7,154 of 11,994
The SR009s has more details but with the LCD4 it's all about musicality which Stax cannot match currently.
The bass quality is miles away from all other. Tonality and instrument separation is spot on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back