Audeze LCD-4
Apr 12, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #3,481 of 11,994
Should I put wax on soon or wait?

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #3,482 of 11,994
I would do it every 4-6 months. I did it every 2 months with my LCD X which was completely overkill. I don't believe it would happen with this brand (I'm just guessing) but some conditioners when applied too much can leave very thin layers in the leather wrinkles. These layers then dry and can turn into blades which can cut and damage it.

A lot of people just use a damp cloth. Good quality leather should last a long time providing it isn't abused, conditioner or not.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #3,483 of 11,994
By the way I took those pictures I just need to find a day to throw them on imgur.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #3,484 of 11,994
I would do it every 4-6 months. I did it every 2 months with my LCD X which was completely overkill. I don't believe it would happen with this brand (I'm just guessing) but some conditioners when applied too much can leave very thin layers in the leather wrinkles. These layers then dry and can turn into blades which can cut and damage it.

A lot of people just use a damp cloth. Good quality leather should last a long time providing it isn't abused, conditioner or not.

Sweet I will by some good leather conditioner/ wax and do a very nice leather jacket, that I have.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,486 of 11,994
I love this stand!

PS: People who use V281 to power the LCD4, could you please let me know what is the gain setting and volume of your V281 at balanced out? Should I raise the gain to +6db or even +12db? 

Cheers

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,487 of 11,994
I agree with the stand. Mine barely holds mine without touching the "ground."

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #3,489 of 11,994
Been listening to a lot of AC/DC and Led Zeppelin lately. Fantastic.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3,492 of 11,994
Not quite sure how much power the V281 puts out but the LCD4 require roughly 2.3x as much current for equal volume as the LCD3.

But you can't go wrong with the LCD4. Truly world class and I've not heard better.

I just tested the V281 single end out to my 200ohm LCD4. Gain setting is original +-0db from factory.

It's so loud already when the volume knob only sits at 9 to 10 o'clock. This is single end output! Not even balanced output! The V281 is truely a powerful monster.

PS: still waiting for my DHC 4 pin XLR balanced headphone cable for LCD4....

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,493 of 11,994
I just tested the V281 single end out to my 200ohm LCD4. Gain setting is original +-0db from factory.

It's so loud already when the volume knob only sits at 9 to 10 o'clock. This is single end output! Not even balanced output! The V281 is truely a powerful monster.

That's good. My Beta22 (or most any balanced Beta22s) is a world class amp and the only downside is no variable gain but it is capable of 40 watts at 8 ohms. RUNNING BALANCED ALWAYS: At 300 ohms on low gain for my HD800 it gets plenty loud on my DACT 4-channel attenuator (not cheap, a $600 attenuator, plus I have a remote control motor drive on it, but anyway) at a setting of 10/24. For my LCD3 it gets very loud at 12/24. But for very loud volume on the LCD4 (newest diaphragm of course) I need 20/24-22/24. So unbalanced is weak. And forget about HiFiMan phones. Can't even drive them more than quiet they are so damn inefficient which is just one of the reasons I'm not very fond of them. But I'd still like a pair of the HE1000 just to have, maybe, not sure yet. So........

End of May I'm taking my gear and driving up to Sunnyvale from Los Angeles (360 miles) to visit my buddy and amp designer idol Ti Kan of AMB Labs, designer of the Beta22/Sigma22 and we are going to take out the boards and swap out the resistors to a gain I decide I want, either medium or medium-high. I can use my Transporter to make minute adjustments of 0.5dB steps and maintain bit perfect up to -23dB at 16/44.1 and around -7dB at 24/96.

And it's pretty funny because if you look at my monster build of an amp with a 50 lb. and a 55 lb. chassis (amp/power supply) you'd think it will power anything!!! It has 1000W dissipating side mounted heat sinks, 2 per chassis. There's a lot of custom stuff inside though. And since I'm not a master of amp building and the interior is complexly laid out I don't want to take the chance of F-ing it up, despite the fact I have top notch solder equipment and can build complex, artisan cables that take an absurdly long time. Plus, he's a really nice guy and it will be around his birthday so I want to take him out to a nice dinner. I also want to hear his Gamma3 DAC and compare it to my combo front end. I KNOW he can build incredible headphone amps and speaker amps. But not sure about the DAC until I hear it, especially since it uses Delta Sigma chips; PCM1797 if I'm not mistaken (or 1794).

I'm looking forward to the trip though. Not sure if I'll be bringing all my gear or just the amp. It depends how much time I have and how lazy I am. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,495 of 11,994
That's good. My Beta22 (or most any balanced Beta22s) is a world class amp and the only downside is no variable gain but it is capable of 40 watts at 8 ohms. RUNNING BALANCED ALWAYS: At 300 ohms on low gain for my HD800 it gets plenty loud on my DACT 4-channel attenuator (not cheap, a $600 attenuator, plus I have a remote control motor drive on it, but anyway) at a setting of 10/24. For my LCD3 it gets very loud at 12/24. But for very loud volume on the LCD4 (newest diaphragm of course) I need 20/24-22/24. So unbalanced is weak. And forget about HiFiMan phones. Can't even drive them more than quiet they are so damn inefficient which is just one of the reasons I'm not very fond of them. But I'd still like a pair of the HE1000 just to have, maybe, not sure yet. So........

End of May I'm taking my gear and driving up to Sunnyvale from Los Angeles (360 miles) to visit my buddy and amp designer idol Ti Kan of AMB Labs, designer of the Beta22/Sigma22 and we are going to take out the boards and swap out the resistors to a gain I decide I want, either medium or medium-high. I can use my Transporter to make minute adjustments of 0.5dB steps and maintain bit perfect up to -23dB at 16/44.1 and around -7dB at 24/96.

And it's pretty funny because if you look at my monster build of an amp with a 50 lb. and a 55 lb. chassis (amp/power supply) you'd think it will power anything!!! It has 1000W dissipating side mounted heat sinks, 2 per chassis. There's a lot of custom stuff inside though. And since I'm not a master of amp building and the interior is complexly laid out I don't want to take the chance of F-ing it up, despite the fact I have top notch solder equipment and can build complex, artisan cables that take an absurdly long time. Plus, he's a really nice guy and it will be around his birthday so I want to take him out to a nice dinner. I also want to hear his Gamma3 DAC and compare it to my combo front end. I KNOW he can build incredible headphone amps and speaker amps. But not sure about the DAC until I hear it, especially since it uses Delta Sigma chips; PCM1797 if I'm not mistaken (or 1794).

I'm looking forward to the trip though. Not sure if I'll be bringing all my gear or just the amp. It depends how much time I have and how lazy I am. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

WOW looks like you are having fun with your life and you have some great gears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back