Audeze LCD-4
Apr 3, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #3,286 of 11,994
i've never felt inclined to post pics of my gear and it doesn't occur to me to photograph the gear that i audition in a store. i've just assumed that posting my impressions at this forum would suffice.

I'm sure the vast majority of people here don't take pictures of gear in stores either. Can't say that I do on a general basis ... maybe if it's something very scarce or I'm getting to audition it earlier than might be expected (e.g. before its official release date).

But for me personally when posted impressions are either significantly at odds with what is generally being reported, or when the circumstances that they come about from don't really add up or are contradictory then, absent pictures, I'm going to be more skeptical. Doesn't mean anyone else has to be, but it is how I personally look at things.

I'm not talking about differences in preferences either ... I expect everyone to be different there.

There's a strong degree of consistency among impressions posted about the LCD-4 and how it portrays music. Then there are a coupe of outliers. It's the outliers, coupled with interesting chronology or inconsistency in the story, that make me discount those impressions and, often, that poster.

For example @dan.gheorghe's impressions are super easy to take at face value, with or without pictures. We may not share preferences, but his general description of what he's heard is very close to what others have said. If his story changed every time that wouldn't be the case.

But I read things the way they work for me and don't expect that to be the same for anyone else.

Still wondering why finding out where a cable was bought is such a mystery though ...

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,288 of 11,994
I'm sure the vast majority of people here don't take pictures of gear in stores either. Can't say that I do on a general basis ... maybe if it's something very scarce or I'm getting to audition it earlier than might be expected (e.g. before its official release date).

But for me personally when posted impressions are either significantly at odds with what is generally being reported, or when the circumstances that they come about from don't really add up or are contradictory then, absent pictures, I'm going to be more skeptical. Doesn't mean anyone else has to be, but it is how I personally look at things.

I'm not talking about differences in preferences either ... I expect everyone to be different there.

There's a strong degree of consistency among impressions posted about the LCD-4 and how it portrays music. Then there are a coupe of outliers. It's the outliers, coupled with interesting chronology or inconsistency in the story, that make me discount those impressions and, often, that poster.

For example @dan.gheorghe's impressions are super easy to take at face value, with or without pictures. We may not share preferences, but his general description of what he's heard is very close to what others have said. If his story changed every time that wouldn't be the case.

But I read things the way they work for me and don't expect that to be the same for anyone else.

Still wondering why finding out where a cable was bought is such a mystery though ...

I think photos are a great idea! However, I would suggest some minimum standards for reviewers:

The review should have foundation, context, and comparability. I somewhat discount any reviewer who doesn't include details such as I have listed below: (That includes reviewers like Tyll who never seem to list 2, 3, 4)

1. Where did the review take place - home, show, dealer, friend's place ....
2. Timeframe of review, over what period, including details of break-in period if new, etc.
3. Associated equipment used in the review - DAC, amp/s, cables etc. and how they changed the sound quality, if at all.
4. Specific music/tracks used that highlight/demonstrate the descriptions/conclusions made, that readers can then perhaps check out for themselves with the same music.
5. Comparison with other headphones the reviewer had access to.
6. Add photos - now

A so called "review" listed this here this morning, had a little bit of no.4 and none of the others. Easy to discount it.

Cheers
Frank

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,289 of 11,994
professional reviewers rather than posters at this forum i hope. having to meet those requirements would be a pita. :wink:

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #3,290 of 11,994
professional reviewers rather than posters at this forum i hope. having to meet those requirements would be a pita.
wink.gif

I think you overstate it. Apart from perhaps No 4 ( music that helped you reach your overview) most of the others require little more than a sentence

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,291 of 11,994
Still absolutely loving these headphones since my purchase.
For me, I made the right decision.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,292 of 11,994
Apr 4, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3,293 of 11,994
In my opinion it's outstanding.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #3,295 of 11,994
I think you need a mixture of professional reviews, first impressions and reviews from reliable sources not affiliated with the industry.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #3,297 of 11,994
I have managed to post my review of LCD-4 :

http://headmania.org/2016/04/04/audeze-lcd-4-review/

Comparisons to LCD-3, HD800, HD800S:

http://headmania.org/2016/04/04/audeze-lcd-4-vs-lcd-3-hd800-and-hd800s/

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,299 of 11,994

well done dan. however, i couldn't help noticing that you omitted points 1 and 2 from xp9433's list of "minimum standards for reviewers". consequently, your review will be discounted. :wink:

ps i am willing to presume that you conducted the review at home judging by the pics, so you have addressed point 1 to my satisfaction at least

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,300 of 11,994
well done dan. however, i couldn't help noticing that you omitted points 1 and 2 from xp9433's list of "minimum standards for reviewers". consequently, your review will be discounted.
wink.gif

ps i am willing to presume that you conducted the review at home judging by the pics, so you have addressed point 1 to my satisfaction at least

Thank you! Well, just to be sure , I added the information in the review :p

The review has spanned over one month.

Indeed, that is my system in my home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back