Audeze LCD-4
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #2,071 of 11,994
You could try 'search this thread' (though google often works better). IIRC there are several impressions from a month or so back although IMHO too early to call definitively.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,075 of 11,994
I am guessing perhaps they are investigating the early driver failures?  Did I read somewhere someone had a driver fail on these already?

Oh I misread Petrov's post, I thought he was talking about ordering The King amp. I meant The King amp got delayed due to metalwork not coming in on time.

Sorry for the misunderstanding:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2,077 of 11,994
From what I understand there has only been 1 case of driver failure on the LCD-4.
I've only seen one on here and everywhere to be honest. That being said, there's only been a handful of these made. 1 so early is not a good sign at all. I would hope that particular customer was given the Royal treatment from the minute he reported the failure.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #2,078 of 11,994
there have only been a few LCD-4s delivered so any number of driver failure would be a lot.....i await mine and cross my fingers that an item this expensive being made on an order by order basis would not have such failures...that would be unacceptable

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,079 of 11,994
  there have only been a few LCD-4s delivered so any number of driver failure would be a lot.....i await mine and cross my fingers that an item this expensive being made on an order by order basis would not have such failures...that would be unacceptable

we should probably just assume they are looking into that before shipping out any more.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #2,081 of 11,994
  Nobody has one in stock. You need to order it from Audeze direct or a dealer. When the order is submitted (and paid for), they start building it.

Actually we're building them as fast as we can. We face two challenges with LCD-4 production. First, we use a proprietary and ultra-precise methodology for voice-coil production that takes two weeks to build each diaphragm. Secondly, the use of exotic woods like Cocobolo and Macassar Ebony are harder to machine and finish properly so it takes as long as 4 to 5 weeks for each run. Even the metal grills take more time than usual because we triple chrome plate them for greater luster. We’re filling the original direct-sale customer orders first. When those are filled we'll begin delivering LCD-4s to our USA and Canadian dealers. We expect shipping will begin in late January but their numbers will be scarce. 

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,082 of 11,994
  Actually we're building them as fast as we can. We face two challenges with LCD-4 production. First, we use a proprietary and ultra-precise methodology for voice-coil production that takes two weeks to build each diaphragm. Secondly, the use of exotic woods like Cocobolo and Macassar Ebony are harder to machine and finish properly so it takes as long as 4 to 5 weeks for each run. Even the metal grills take more time than usual because we triple chrome plate them for greater luster. We’re filling the original direct-sale customer orders first. When those are filled we'll begin delivering LCD-4s to our USA and Canadian dealers. We expect shipping will begin in late January but their numbers will be scarce.

Can you provide pictures of the different types of woods available to US markets?
Thanks

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,083 of 11,994
  Can you provide pictures of the different types of woods available to US markets?
Thanks

US and Canadian markets will receive the LCD-4 with Cocobolo wood, images on our website. We made a few samples in exotic woods but chose lustrous Cocobolo for production. Right after receiving it Cocobolo went on the Watch List. We're permitted to use the wood on hand, but since Cocobolo is now Watch Listed there's no guarantee that every country will allow it to be imported. So we'll ship another fine wood overseas, Macassar Ebony. 

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #2,084 of 11,994
Had a bit of a listen to the Chord Hugo TT today at my favourite dealer. Actually, I was having a first listen to two bits of kit - the TT and the LCD-4. 

I spent a couple of hours listening to the LCD-4 (with LCD-X SE lead and 110 hours run-in), my HE1000 and the dealer's HD800 on the TT (running from battery); the source was my AK380.  My musical tastes are wide-ranging (from classical to dubstep, jazz to rock), and with hifi I tend to lean towards detail (even if cold and clinical) more so than towards lush warm heavy sounds.  It almost certainly needs a bit more running-in (I think up to 300 hours is recommended) but I have to say I found the LCD-4 slightly disappointing in not showing a clean pair of heels to the HE1000 in areas a number of reviews had led me to expect it would (e.g. jazz, female vocal, dubstep etc).  I perhaps just preferred it to the HE1000 with Miles Davis, and maybe with Skrillex and Michael Mayer, but it was oh so close.  I was surprised I didn’t clearly prefer it with Joni Mitchell, Carmen Lundy and Cecile McLorin Salvant.  Yes, it was warm a nice sounding but it didn’t have the detailed edge to their voices, which is there with the HE1000 and which makes you think the ladies are actually there in front of you singing.  With most everything else the HE1000 was the winner (didn’t even bother trying the LCD-4 with classical). 

Question – leaving aside the issue of run-in, is the TT a good pairing with the LCD-4, or should I really be considering something else to drive the Audeze in order to bring out something like its best? 

I then put the Audeze to one side and concentrated on comparing the TT with my portable Hugo through the HE1000s.  At no point was it night and day, and often I struggled to tell much of a difference (there was some background noise in the shop and it certainly wasn’t the relaxed experience of evening listening at home, on the sofa and with subdued lighting).  But there were times when there was an important difference in the TT’s favour.  For example, the piano with Keith Jarrett was more lifelike and authoritative; the orchestral playing with Vaughan Williams was more assured and coherent; and Spem in Alium by the Tallis Scholars was just sublime and it was easier to pick out the individual voices.

Question – Should I expect to be able to tell the difference between the portable Hugo and the TT with some types of music more than others, and does it make any difference to the sound quality running the TT from batteries instead of the mains?

I will also post this on the Chord Hugo TT thread

Thanks.

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,085 of 11,994

Question – leaving aside the issue of run-in, is the TT a good pairing with the LCD-4, or should I really be considering something else to drive the Audeze in order to bring out something like its best? 

Question – Should I expect to be able to tell the difference between the portable Hugo and the TT with some types of music more than others, and does it make any difference to the sound quality running the TT from batteries instead of the mains?

I will also post this on the Chord Hugo TT thread

Thanks.

I have the Chord Hugo with both HE1000 and LCD-3, may add the LCD-4 soon.  Both Hugo TT and Hugo runs off the internal battery.  As far as I know, you cannot bypass the battery using just AC Mains.

You should easily hear improvements from the Hugo TT over its older brother Hugo with most music genre.  With Classical and Jazz, even more so.  Things simply clear up, more layers of music.  You can listen longer without fatigue with the TT over the Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back