Audeze LCD-4
Nov 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,681 of 11,994
^ If the MJ2 is at all like Lyr, those NOS tubes will improve a lot on stock.

Different tubes are likely to have a marked effect. Congrats and look forward to your impressions.

Yes tube rolling does improve the overall sound of the MJ2. I have rolled the following tubes. Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes, Telefunken TK's, Gold Lions, and NOS EDISWAN. All those tubes sound good in the MJ2. My favorite tubes are the NOS Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes. But for everyday day use, I use the current production Telefunken TK's.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,682 of 11,994
Not sure if its the burn in or the Reflektor HG 75' but the bass  on the LCD-4 has so much more impact and sounds smoother. I will probably end up using the MJ2 as a preamp for The King, but i'm in love right now and wont be rolling tubes anymore today!

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,683 of 11,994
Well, I want to buy this headphone (I have cash).
But I still can't make up my mind.
It's also $4800 here in Canada.
Even though I can afford it and half of me wants to buy it, the other half keeps telling me to cool it. 
It still is a lot of money for a headphone it keeps saying. :)
I already have the LCD3 and the HD800 and the PS1000 and the EL8C at the office (which probably gets used the most).

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,684 of 11,994
  Well, I want to buy this headphone (I have cash).
But I still can't make up my mind.
It's also $4800 here in Canada.
Even though I can afford it and half of me wants to buy it, the other half keeps telling me to cool it. 
It still is a lot of money for a headphone it keeps saying. :)
I already have the LCD3 and the HD800 and the PS1000 and the EL8C at the office (which probably gets used the most).

There's a chance that the LCD-4 would make you compelled to sell both the LCD-3 and HD 800 which would alleviate the cost somewhat.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,685 of 11,994

There's a chance that the LCD-4 would make you compelled to sell both the LCD-3 and HD 800 which would alleviate the cost somewhat.

Oh yes, I would certainly be selling the LCD3 if I do decide to get the LCD4.
I will hang on to the HD800 for a while but yes possibly I might eventually let that go.
I will also be selling my PS500 and HD600 as I don't really use them very much at all lately.

So money isn't really an issue, but the rational part of my brain still says $5K for a headphone! Really!?
Do I really want to spend that much money on a headphone.

But I know the impulsive and irrational part of my brain will win out. It eventually always does. :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,686 of 11,994
Waiting for the FedEx man !

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,687 of 11,994
Just picked up the LCD-4 from my dealer. Oh my. Can't wait to get it home!

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,689 of 11,994
problem is you instantly lose half the value on a headphone resale i noticed.  i'm seriously thinking of selling all of mine and getting the orph 2 and the Shure 1500 as my end game home and on the road setup.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,690 of 11,994
Stuck on portable for now, but this is still sounding pretty good even out of today's portable rig:

Nexus 6P --> Chord Mojo --> LCD-4 (playback controls via Pebble Time Steel, which finally received its steel strap)

You'll note the sample rate is correct with playback via UAPP...

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,691 of 11,994
O
Stuck on portable for now, but this is still sounding pretty good even out of today's portable rig:

Nexus 6P --> Chord Mojo --> LCD-4 (playback controls via Pebble Time Steel, which finally received its steel strap)

Omg, finally someone listening to the 4 driven my Mojo only, does it drive the 4 sufficiently well? Is volume enough and how about dynamism or bass?

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,692 of 11,994
O
Omg, finally someone listening to the 4 driven my Mojo only, does it drive the 4 sufficiently well? Is volume enough and how about dynamism or bass?

It sounds very good, will compare with my desktop setup later to see how much potential the portable rig is wringing out of these. Oh, and no problem with volume.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #1,693 of 11,994
It sounds very good, will compare with my desktop setup later to see how much potential the portable rig is wringing out of these. Oh, and no problem with volume.

Looking forward to your comparison of LCD-4 driven out of Mojo and a desktop rig, if the Mojo is sufficient and have enough power I might just get that first to drive LCD4 before slowly assembling Gumby + Mjolnir 2 piecemeal. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,694 of 11,994

How do you like the portable rig? I've seen portable LCD's done a few times. Do you think the open back headphones allow too much external noise in while going portable? Do others around you get bothered by the noise? 

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,695 of 11,994
How do you like the portable rig? I've seen portable LCD's done a few times. Do you think the open back headphones allow too much external noise in while going portable? Do others around you get bothered by the noise? 

I wouldn't really use this on the go, just didn't have an alternative (and didn't feel like waiting, haha!). Nice to know that I could and it'd sound good if the need arose though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back