Audeze LCD-4
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,666 of 11,994
  From romaz's comparison review, I suppose the LCD-4 - HE-1000 pair will be the natural upgrade path for someone who is using the LCD-X - HD800 pair for pop/rock/EDM - classical/jazz, as long as the source and amplification are at the required levels... 
normal_smile .gif

That seems to be the path I'm following, FWIW, though I haven't gotten my HE-1000 yet.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,668 of 11,994
If you're getting the Orpheus II, chances are, you can splurge some extra chump change on the HEK and LCD-4. Why not check the right pocket as well and add the Abyss into the mix
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,673 of 11,994
  Excite!

Confirmed I will pick up the LCD-4 Friday morning to have over the weekend. Have cleared the decks to allow plenty of time with it too.

Great am looking forward to your impressions against the HE-6!

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,674 of 11,994
Great!  Love to hear how the CMA800Rs drive them.  Or maybe, a SE test with one of them?

Sure, will definitely try listening to just one. Should still sound good, but I'd expect the quadrupled power of monoblock configuration to sound better (4w vs 1w).

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,675 of 11,994

Great!  Love to hear how the CMA800Rs drive them.  Or maybe, a SE test with one of them?

Sure, will definitely try listening to just one. Should still sound good, but I'd expect the quadrupled power of monoblock configuration to sound better (4w vs 1w).

True.  If the CMA sound is anything like my QP, I'd love to have one for my Xs.  Even 1W would be a step up, I think.  But you're right of  course, about 4W.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,676 of 11,994
True.  If the CMA sound is anything like my QP, I'd love to have one for my Xs.  Even 1W would be a step up, I think.  But you're right of  course, about 4W.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Isn't 4W the same as the output from The King amp from Audeze?

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,678 of 11,994
4W output tells you nothing except the heat that can be generated. You need a voltage or impedance spec to tie it to a reference.

Well of course I'm aware of that thanks. When I'm at desktop I'll check the respective specs.

EDIT: 6W into 20ohm for the King, 4.32W into 50ohm for the CMA800R monoblocks. Definitely ample headroom from the power point of view.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,679 of 11,994
Just got my GMB/MJ2 today! Been doing some tube rolling, started with the LISST now on stock tubes. I will post some impressions of the LCD-4 with the Schiits after I get a good warm up on the system, but so far going from LISST to the stock tubes is like day to night. Not in a bad way, just that much different. I have heard the LISST do sound better after a good burn in (as they are a bit harsh to me fresh out the box). I have about 6 pairs of NOS tubes i'll be rolling soon as well!

Reflector HG 75'
Telefunken HG 65' CCa
Amperex 67' OG
Amperex 59' BB - D Getter
Amperex 65' Tektronix
Amperex 6922 White Label

I do feel like I lost a bit of bass and sub-bass switching from the WA7 to the Schiits. Maybe with some burn in and tube rolling I can get some of that back. Maybe @Shembot can chime in on this a bit, but the Schiits with LISST is more transparent with more forward (borderline harsh) treble. The stock tubes are more laid back and the treble is less harsh, but overall i'm not very impressed with the stock tubes on the LCD-4 (gonna give them a few more hours before I roll to the NOS tubes.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,680 of 11,994
^ If the MJ2 is at all like Lyr, those NOS tubes will improve a lot on stock.

Different tubes are likely to have a marked effect. Congrats and look forward to your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back