Audeze LCD-4
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,291 of 11,995

Yes, it's more comfortable without question. And it's not springy at all, because Audeze has placed the suspension strap very close to the carbon fiber piece, so when you wear them there is just a very small space between the two. Not only does this lend itself to a very comfortable fit, but it also looks less ridiculous than some of the suspension bands where it looks like you have a huge arc protruding from your noggin. The new headband distributes the weight very effectively, to where it makes the headphones feel lighter on your head (for all you girly men out there who whine about the weight).

[...]

To me, it's a big time winner.

Seconded. When I first saw it in person I thought "well, this sure isn't going to be an improvement." But it is. The leather band is much thinner and more pliant than the old band (not immediately obvious from the photos) and the carbon fiber is flexible and doesn't seem to directly contact my head when I'm wearing them. I don't end up with devil-horns soreness that I do with the old LCDs after a couple hours. 

None of this mitigates that they are still gigantic heavy headphones, but it makes the weight more pleasant.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,293 of 11,995
Nice! I didn't even think to look. I was checking out the Master 9 and 11 when I was looking into potential amps for the HE-6. Mind you the Master 11 is an AIO.
Master 9 balanced [100 ohm: 3800 mW]
Master 11 balanced [100 ohm: 4000 mW]

I found one amp in particular from Big Sound 2015 that has it's 100 ohm power rating listed.
Violectric HPA V281 balanced [100 ohm: 5600 mW]

The OP lists 'Optimal power requirement: 1 – 4W'.

Anyone have experience with the LCD-4 enjoying extra power (similar to an HE-6)? The LCD-4 might still be too new to market for some of my questions. Lol.

Pretty sure the LCD-4 will like power 
smily_headphones1.gif
 All orthos do 
biggrin.gif

On the subject, I would not personally pick up the V281. It is a very good amp but I did not particularly enjoy it with the HE1000 and the LCD-4 sound somewhat similar to it, possibly. 
wink.gif

Just my 2c.
I'd probably get something like the M11 and see if I wanna go further from there...

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,294 of 11,995
Nice! I didn't even think to look. I was checking out the Master 9 and 11 when I was looking into potential amps for the HE-6. Mind you the Master 11 is an AIO.
Master 9 balanced [100 ohm: 3800 mW]
Master 11 balanced [100 ohm: 4000 mW]

I found one amp in particular from Big Sound 2015 that has its 100 ohm power rating listed.
Violectric HPA V281 balanced [100 ohm: 5600 mW]

The OP lists 'Optimal power requirement: 1 – 4W'.

Anyone have experience with the LCD-4 enjoying extra power (similar to an HE-6)? The LCD-4 might still be too new to market for some of my questions. Lol.

Ive got a Master 11 powering LCD-2Fs.

Massive difference between my old Lyr2+Bifrost Uber set up. 

Transparent and better in everything: bass, mid, highs, sound stage and etc.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,296 of 11,995
Wow those look real nice, pretty similar to the cocoloca too

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,297 of 11,995
Wow those look real nice, pretty similar to the cocoloca too

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,298 of 11,995
  I haven't seen any pictures posted of the Macassar Ebony. Here is a picture Audeze sent me of my pair. It's a darker brownish color compared to the some what lighter reddish Cocobola. I should have them in a few days. 

The Macassar Ebony looks great.  Congratulations.  I have several Orbita watch-winders in Macassar Ebony.  I can't really see it in your picture, probably due to the lighting, but the grain is generally fairly straight and should look similar to these (snagged from Google):

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,299 of 11,995
Peter78 I know, it's really difficult to see the wood grain in that picture. To many reflections. I'm guessing it's like the forth wood grain sample in your post. I was not familiar with Macassar Ebony, so I called a friend of mine who makes furniture to ask him about it. He is going to build me a headphone stand. I'm not sure what type of wood I want to use though. I was thinking possibly Zebrawood combined with Leopardwood. Maybe I should include some Macassar Ebony.
rolleyes.gif

My favorite wood is African Mahogany. That's what I used for the desk in my office. It has such a beautiful depth, with a lot of variations and striping. It's also a really good tone wood. I've never seen anyone use it to make headphones though.

Here's a pic

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,300 of 11,995
I haven't seen any pictures posted of the Macassar Ebony. Here is a picture Audeze sent me of my pair. It's a darker brownish color compared to the some what lighter reddish Cocobola. I should have them in a few days. 

That is an absolutely beautiful headphone, congrats!

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,301 of 11,995
There must be plenty off cuts, after Jesse's team machines down the rings.
It wouldn't be that much side effort to make an off cut block of smaller pieces glued together in a top notch wood shop. Say big enough for a stand.
Back up the thread that chromed upstand, with the arch for the headband..
If I was an Audeze designer I'd use three notched slider bars as the main post.

A rejected carbon fiber band cut down as the T piece to hang the LCD 4s off. Nice laser etching on the block or a rejected side grill cut down.

When you have a wood shop, machine shop, plating subcontractor or in house facility.
An apprentice can turn waste and scrap costs into a beautiful display product.
Unique for the LCD4. 30 mins work for the CADCAM guy... A profit from loss.

Arthur Powers might even say Great News Everyone..Gratz BTW. Jealous ..
Just a thought from an old engineer...

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,302 of 11,995
When you have a wood shop, machine shop, plating subcontractor or in house facility.
An apprentice can turn waste and scrap costs into a beautiful display product.
Unique for the LCD4. 30 mins work for the CADCAM guy... A profit from loss.
Just a thought from an old engineer...

How about passing the savings to the customers (lower the price :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,303 of 11,995
How about passing the savings to the customers (lower the price :)

At the asking price including the stand would be a good idea frankly. MHP1000 comes with a very high quality stand right in the box.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,304 of 11,995
At the asking price including the stand would be a good idea frankly. MHP1000 comes with a very high quality stand right in the box.

The K812 also comes with a nice Omega-esque wooden stand, included in the price :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,305 of 11,995
For a boutique offering, the LCD4 certainly don't the unboxing experience of a boutique product lol ... Nor the bells and whistles associated with them (stand, premium cables, a presentation box, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back