Audeze LCD-4
May 18, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #11,236 of 11,996
I can't say that the WA22 will replace my Benchmark stack for these headphones, but it is a pleasant and very different experience hearing the 4 through tubes. Less resolution, less bass extension and impact, and some softening of the general sound, but the tubes help to bring forward the mids in a more balanced way and give the bass a more generalized warmth. Far less listening fatigue too. Very chilled out and euphoric compared to the solid state amp. I could definitely grow to love this pairing.

20230513_152814.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #11,237 of 11,996
I can't say that the WA22 will replace my Benchmark stack for these headphones, but it is a pleasant and very different experience hearing the 4 through tubes. Less resolution, less bass extension and impact, and some softening of the general sound, but the tubes help to bring forward the mids in a more balanced way and give the bass a more generalized warmth. Far less listening fatigue too. Very chilled out and euphoric compared to the solid state amp. I could definitely grow to love this pairing.
I'm so glad you wrote about the effect of tubes on bass extension and impact. That had always been my experience as well, nice to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way.

May 18, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #11,239 of 11,996

20230513_152814.jpg
Whilst I haven't heard the WA22, I have seen comparisons with this and the Cayin HA-3A and the Cayin amp was much better in many categories than the WA22.

May 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #11,240 of 11,996
Maybe it depends on what features are important to you in the LCD-4s? I'm not worried about the tonality, which I have fixed to my satisfaction with EQ.

What I love about the LCD-4s is the SSSLLLAAAMMM. In my experience, high-current SS amps do a much better job of delivering the slam to planars than tubes do, maybe others have had different experiences. Maybe it's because I've only had low-powered tube amps?

May 18, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #11,241 of 11,996
Maybe it depends on what features are important to you in the LCD-4s? I'm not worried about the tonality, which I have fixed to my satisfaction with EQ.

What I love about the LCD-4s is the SSSLLLAAAMMM. In my experience, high-current SS amps do a much better job of delivering the slam to planars than tubes do, maybe others have had different experiences. Maybe it's because I've only had low-powered tube amps?
300B tube amps with a lot of power like the Feliks Envy will give you the best slam in tube amps.

May 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #11,242 of 11,996

Interestingly, the WA22 does deliver wonderful slam on my high-z ZMF headphones and, fortunately, that's why I bought the amp. I tried it with the 4 because that's one pairing Woo features on their product page and I was honestly a bit skeptical about how it'd do. Decidedly decent. Although, it's not what I would tell people to buy to pair specifically with the 4.

On that note, how does the Ferrum do with the 4? I thought about buying that amp instead of the WA22, though for different purposes, but never got a chance to listen to one.

May 18, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #11,243 of 11,996
Interestingly, the WA22 does deliver wonderful slam on my high-z ZMF headphones and, fortunately, that's why I bought the amp. I tried it with the 4 because that's one pairing Woo features on their product page and I was honestly a bit skeptical about how it'd do. Decidedly decent. Although, it's not what I would tell people to buy to pair specifically with the 4.

On that note, how does the Ferrum do with the 4? I thought about buying that amp instead of the WA22, though for different purposes, but never got a chance to listen to one.
It’s a fantastic pairing. Tons of energy, clarity and slam galore.

May 19, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #11,244 of 11,996
I love my LCD-4 with both SS and tubes, depending on the music and the mood.

L&G.jpg

lcd-4.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #11,245 of 11,996
I ran the LCD4 on the Woo WA5 and WA33 and they sounded fantastic. Currently using a Schiit Folkvangr and I think it pairs well. But as always personal preference makes all the difference.

May 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #11,247 of 11,996
Auris Nirvana works with LCD4 real good , specially with upgrade tubes ,I like much more then Eleven Xiaudio with Powerman

Not all tube amps are the same and Auris Nirvana sure works magic with LCD4. My Odyssey does that too and it's the best experience for me with LCD4. When heard with a capable tube amp, you wouldn't call the bass soft or not extended.

It will give any solid states a run for their money, even Euleum 23R. I've heard all these amps so I'm not plugging it out of thin air.

May 22, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #11,248 of 11,996
Hi, is there a general consensus about which DAC might be best for "quick and dirty" listening sessions via Windows computer [USB] + Jriver

Headphones: LCD-4
Amp: Wells Audio Milo
Audio-gd R1: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN.htm
Apparently, there's a new version on the way, R1 NOS ... worth the wait?
ARES 12TH: https://www.denafrips.com/ares-12th
USB interface is supposedly adequate and can be improved with the Iris DDC
Bifrost: https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost
Has arguably best USB interface, but many find the sound from the new Bifrost disagreeable.

Or something else entirely? Budget would be up to1500. Less the better... :) Curious to hear some opinions. Thanks!

May 22, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #11,249 of 11,996
Hi, is there a general consensus about which DAC might be best for "quick and dirty" listening sessions via Windows computer [USB] + Jriver

Headphones: LCD-4
Amp: Wells Audio Milo
Audio-gd R1: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN.htm
Apparently, there's a new version on the way, R1 NOS ... worth the wait?
ARES 12TH: https://www.denafrips.com/ares-12th
USB interface is supposedly adequate and can be improved with the Iris DDC
Bifrost: https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost
Has arguably best USB interface, but many find the sound from the new Bifrost disagreeable.

Or something else entirely? Budget would be up to1500. Less the better... :) Curious to hear some opinions. Thanks!
Topping D90 or Chord Qutest are good options in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back