Audeze LCD-4
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #11,206 of 12,014
Usually IMO some silver content can increase low level treble details and air. If thick enough, bass don't suffer. Copper is good for taming the highs, add some warmth. On the cables I have tried. YMMV.
Meaning no offense, this is utter nonsense. People can spend their money however they like but prospective buyers should know that they would be wasting their money if they think cables will change the sound of their headphones.

The only thing that could convince me otherwise is a double-blind ABX test, and no blind ABX test has ever provided any evidence at all to suggest cables make a difference in sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ference-norne-audio-cable-review-video.22481/

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #11,207 of 12,014
I think the most important thing in a cable is lowering resistance from amp to headphone. I think headphone cables don't really justify the gains in audible quality but when I used a heavy power cable for my amp, it made a huge audible difference. I guess that's different topic.

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #11,208 of 12,014
Meaning no offense, this is utter nonsense. People can spend their money however they like but prospective buyers should know that they would be wasting their money if they think cables will change the sound of their headphones.

The only thing that could convince me otherwise is a double-blind ABX test, and no blind ABX test has ever provided any evidence at all to suggest cables make a difference in sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ference-norne-audio-cable-review-video.22481/
A balanced cable will provide more power to the headphone in most cases.

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #11,209 of 12,014
A balanced cable will provide more power to the headphone in most cases.
Yes that’s obviously true, but I was referring to claims that cable materials (copper, silver, etc) make a difference to sound.

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #11,210 of 12,014
Have you ever tried comparing cables of differing material? While I don’t find the differences huge, I can hear a difference. I have done blind testing with friends and I could consistently tell the difference between silver, copper and silver plated copper. If you don’t hear a difference then just use the one with the connector you need. But I think everyone should find out for themselves.
By the way, I prefer copper, the least expensive material of the three.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #11,212 of 12,014
Damn, once again a thread devolves into an argument about whether or not cables make any audible difference. You know it’s cool if you don't do this in every thread right?
But it’s fine for people to talk about how copper cables make their headphones sound warmer right? In other words, one point of view is fine and another is off limits? Also— it’s been 3 posts — maybe not the end of the world?

And finally, this is a headphone that’s been out for 8 years — what would you like us to talk about?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #11,213 of 12,014
But it’s fine for people to talk about how copper cables make their headphones sound warmer right? In other words, one point of view is fine and another is off limits? Also— it’s been 3 posts — maybe not the end of the world?
I'd rather they didn't do that because it aggravates people who can't shake their heads and keep it moving. If it makes you feel better, I'll tell both of you to drop it so you don't feel singled out.

This isn't some war on your opinion either, this is something that has been argued ad nausem on this website and others. Why re-beat this dead horse? There is no point in taking personal offence to how someone spends their money and enjoys their headphones. It's also worth pointing out that you're literally not saying anything that hasn't already been said; I can guarantee that whoever read these posts has already heard and seen what you're saying here and now.
If someone has convinced themselves that an extra $2k on a copper cable makes their $4k headphone sound better let em believe it. You're not gonna convince them they don't hear it and it's pointless to be upset about it.

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #11,214 of 12,014
Bought a Wells Audio Milo + upgrades, selling my Phonitor XE, can’t wait to give the Milo a try… have to wait 2 months, as I’ll be picking it up on my USA vacation in July :). So in the meantime, am listening (please don’t ban me!) to the alluringly soft, mellow, yet solid sound of the Pass Labs amp with Tannoy floor speakers. Really fun to listen to speakers again after having listened exclusively to headphones for 6 months or so.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #11,215 of 12,014

Cables don't measure equally and definitely don't sound the same. We have no double-blind tests that shows that LCD4 sound different to both LCD-X and Utopia, but no people here is asking for it as they trust their ears in this cases. Lots of argument would be avoided if people did that (trust their ears) as SQ is about preference any way.

https://alpha-audio.net/review/megatest-speaker-cables-real-measurements-samples-and-blind-test/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/speaker-cables-can-you-hear-difference

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #11,217 of 12,014
You are comparing apples and oranges.
Imagine someone saying that chocolate pudding tastes better with a silver spoon than with a gold one.
In the beginning I compared a lot, 1000€ USB cable with 10€ USB cable, Lavricables Grand with Hifimans Grand scrap stick cable, could never hear a difference - but I am quite happy about it, I save a lot of money, that I can invest in nice Amp’s or Can‘s :D

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #11,218 of 12,014
Imagine someone saying that chocolate pudding tastes better with a silver spoon than with a gold one.
That's an incredibly bad example.
You certainly can taste the difference between materials.

While I have no experience with the taste of Gold and silver in particular, probably most have experienced eating Ice cream with a metallic and a wooden spoon.
This doesn't change the taste of the ice cream itself, but you do taste the spoon and the experience is different.

Or drinking with a plastic straw vs a paper straw, you do taste the difference in material.

Of course there is no correlation to wether this makes difference to sound

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #11,220 of 12,014
@ThanatosVI

No, that's why I stayed with related materials. Beer tastes better from the glass bottle than from the plastic bottle, that's clear, but I can not "taste" whether the glass of the bottle is white or brown or green :wink:

But anyway, to each his own :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back