Audeze LCD-4
May 22, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #11,251 of 12,002
I have an older r1 and thought that the price to performance was great. The newer ones are even better performing from what I've seen. Only thing is, I think they were designed to be used balanced to get the best out of them.
E
Topping D90 or Chord Qutest are good options in that price range.
Qutest is a super suggestion, thanks. The Milo has XLR, but they’re merely there for convenience.

May 22, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #11,252 of 12,002
Was a bit wary of the R1 after reading that a reviewer felt it was too forward with vocals and hence had a fatigue factor. Great to hear from others who have firsthand experience.

May 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #11,253 of 12,002
Hi, is there a general consensus about which DAC might be best for "quick and dirty" listening sessions via Windows computer [USB] + Jriver

Headphones: LCD-4
Amp: Wells Audio Milo
Audio-gd R1: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R121/R121EN.htm
Apparently, there's a new version on the way, R1 NOS ... worth the wait?
ARES 12TH: https://www.denafrips.com/ares-12th
USB interface is supposedly adequate and can be improved with the Iris DDC
Bifrost: https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost
Has arguably best USB interface, but many find the sound from the new Bifrost disagreeable.

Or something else entirely? Budget would be up to1500. Less the better... :) Curious to hear some opinions. Thanks!
RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Hard to beat, basic sound-, AND feature-wise.

Big plus:
It‘s built in parametric EQ let‘s you tailor the sound and tonality to your personal taste, even fit the LCD-4 to various music styles.

I do select from a number of EQ-presets on different occasions (including EQ bypass), makes the LCD-4 so versatile.

Another great feature is the select-ability of the DAC-Filter.
The range goes from warm to analytical, with numerous sidesteps in between, even combining both.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #11,254 of 12,002
RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Hard to beat, basic sound-, AND feature-wise.

Big plus:
It‘s built in parametric EQ let‘s you tailor the sound and tonality to your personal taste, even fit the LCD-4 to various music styles.

I do select from a number of EQ-presets on different occasions (including EQ bypass), makes the LCD-4 so versatile.

Another great feature is the select-ability of the DAC-Filter.
The range goes from warm to analytical, with numerous sidesteps in between, even combining both.
Thanks, been reading about it. Tough decision, so many good options.

May 25, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #11,257 of 12,002
Get one for testing, I bet you won‘t send it back.
ADI-2 DAC‘s uncolored, transparent sound pairs nicely with LCD-4‘s warm signature.
Thanks for your recommendation, I'll definitely give it a try.

May 28, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #11,258 of 12,002
I have been listening to my more difficult to drive HPs on this amplifier from SAEQ called Hyperion Ge. This is a loaner courtesy of the kindness of Wilson from Jaben SG. Wilson brought in the entire range of amplifiers from SAEQ (as well as their interconnects). I have been sharing my impressions as it is not always easy to find an amplifier that will drive the HPs whilst being enjoyable: lush yet highly detailed.

The SAEQ (Serbian Audio Equipment) is owned by Dragaon Domanovic. He is also the main designer. I originally came across SAEQ because of direct drive amplifiers that they designed and built to drive RAAL Requisite ribbon HPs. So, when i went to collect my HSA-1c (which drives both ribbon HPs as well as planar and dynamic HPs), and Wilson suggested I give the the Hyperion Ge, I jumped on the opportunity to try it out since I had read about the Hyperion Ge on this review: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/am...ws/saeq-hyperion-ge-and-raal-requisite-ca-1a/

A HP amp which can also drive speakers?! Wow! Most audiophiles will use speaker amps to drive HPs but this is the first time I have heard of a HP amp which is powerful enough to drive speakers.

I read more about the Ge: Dragan wanted to use Germanium transistors which would give a lush signature whilst still being realistic and detailed. Germanium was used between the 1950s and 1970s and abandoned because it was too expensive for mass production.

Anyway, after spending some time with the Ge. Through the attenuated output as well as the direct output. Each seems to have slightly different tonality. The attenuated output seems to be sweeter. I am enjoying the effortless sound signature of the Ge on the LCD4. It does make the LCD4 sound any warmer but does allow through great details and nuances.

Well, if you are in Singapore, you are in luck! Because Jaben SG has this in stock. I shall also be trying out the PDA-1b and the Morpheus, both of which have attenuated output and direct out put as options. Exciting times ahead!

IMG_6897.jpeg
IMG_6881.jpeg

May 28, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #11,259 of 12,002
Side note: Interesting that one sees so many denafrips Ares 12th being resold.

May 31, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #11,260 of 12,002
E

Qutest is a super suggestion, thanks. The Milo has XLR, but they’re merely there for convenience.
Hope you are enjoying the Milo!

May 31, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #11,261 of 12,002
I have been listening to my more difficult to drive HPs on this amplifier from SAEQ called Hyperion Ge. This is a loaner courtesy of the kindness of Wilson from Jaben SG. Wilson brought in the entire range of amplifiers from SAEQ (as well as their interconnects). I have been sharing my impressions as it is not always easy to find an amplifier that will drive the HPs whilst being enjoyable: lush yet highly detailed.

The SAEQ (Serbian Audio Equipment) is owned by Dragaon Domanovic. He is also the main designer. I originally came across SAEQ because of direct drive amplifiers that they designed and built to drive RAAL Requisite ribbon HPs. So, when i went to collect my HSA-1c (which drives both ribbon HPs as well as planar and dynamic HPs), and Wilson suggested I give the the Hyperion Ge, I jumped on the opportunity to try it out since I had read about the Hyperion Ge on this review: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/am...ws/saeq-hyperion-ge-and-raal-requisite-ca-1a/

A HP amp which can also drive speakers?! Wow! Most audiophiles will use speaker amps to drive HPs but this is the first time I have heard of a HP amp which is powerful enough to drive speakers.

I read more about the Ge: Dragan wanted to use Germanium transistors which would give a lush signature whilst still being realistic and detailed. Germanium was used between the 1950s and 1970s and abandoned because it was too expensive for mass production.

Anyway, after spending some time with the Ge. Through the attenuated output as well as the direct output. Each seems to have slightly different tonality. The attenuated output seems to be sweeter. I am enjoying the effortless sound signature of the Ge on the LCD4. It does make the LCD4 sound any warmer but does allow through great details and nuances.

Well, if you are in Singapore, you are in luck! Because Jaben SG has this in stock. I shall also be trying out the PDA-1b and the Morpheus, both of which have attenuated output and direct out put as options. Exciting times ahead!

IMG_6897.jpegIMG_6881.jpeg
Continuing on the SAEQ journey courtesy of Wilson of Jaben Singapore.

Taking the Morpheus today for a spin with the LCD4. Thoroughly enjoying myself. One of the things I have wondered about the LCD4 was whether it missed a bit of the organic mids that the LCD2 had. With the Morpheus I have rediscovered the lovely organic part of the LCD4. Kudos to Dragan and his team at SAEQ. Though they have modestly styled this a smaller version of the HSA-1b, I frankly think it sounds closer to the style of the Hyperion Ge, which I had written about above.

I was just telling Wilson earlier today of my impressions thus far. The HSA-1c and PDA-1b is closer in tonality: more airy and bigger soundstage portrayal. While the Hyperion Ge and the Morpheus, whilst still having a good soundstage, were definitely more on the more organic and lush side of the house. Even as they retained details and nuances. While the Morpheus is not as rich in tonality as the Ge, not surprisingly considering its price level, it will be a great option for anyone who wants to run HPs because of the attenuation possibilities. At the back, there are attenuation options for the XLR input, as well as for HP output in the front panel. At its current price point, I think the Morpheus is pretty compelling a buy. :)

IMG_6997.jpeg
IMG_6966.jpeg
IMG_6969.jpeg

May 31, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #11,262 of 12,002
Hope you are enjoying the Milo!
Thanks, will pick up the Milo in early July. Thought about buying a Gruve DAC from Jeff, but decided to match it up with the Qutest. Tried to buy one used here in the classifieds area, but was scammed. Luckily paid via normal PayPal.

Think I'll just buy it new :)

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #11,263 of 12,002
Has anyone tried the LCD-4 from a Chord Mojo 1? I think it sounds quite musical and organic and surprisingly seems to have more than enough power for the power hungry LCD-4. I actually prefer the Mojo pairing to the RME-ADI-2 as that combo sounds dryer and not as engaging to my ears.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #11,264 of 12,002
the mojo is great for IEM and easy to drive HP's..I wouldnt recommend it for the LCD-4 myself

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #11,265 of 12,002
the mojo is great for IEM and easy to drive HP's..I wouldnt recommend it for the LCD-4 myself
There are probably better options out there for sure at higher price points but I don't really find this combination lacking in any way. Great bass and mids. Even compared to the Monolith Liquid Platinum which has quite a lot of power it sounds just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back