Audeze LCD-4
Jun 18, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #11,281 of 12,031
Happy I found a used LCD-4 last year in excellent condition, really engaging & dynamic sound. Excellent to pair with a more subtle HP like the Raal SR1. Can’t wait to give it a try with the Milo.

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #11,282 of 12,031
Happy I found a used LCD-4 last year in excellent condition, really engaging & dynamic sound. Excellent to pair with a more subtle HP like the Raal SR1. Can’t wait to give it a try with the Milo.
The Milo has an excellent reputation. I'll look forward to hearing your impressions.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying my LCD-4 with a Topping A30 Pro.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #11,283 of 12,031
It’s excellent with the Milo! I really enjoy the LCD4 with it. :)

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #11,285 of 12,031
An absolutely fantastic sounding album on the LCD 4. Sounds a lot better on this headphone than the hekse.

1688158442075.png

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #11,286 of 12,031
If anyone with a mint condition LCD-4 is interested in selling, PM me :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #11,287 of 12,031
A question about LCD-4 variants: I've read through a big chunk of the thread, but didn't quite find what I'm looking for....

Most LCD-4s out in the wild now seem to have the felt or rubber (?) spacers. Is there any appreciable difference in SQ or frequency profile between these two? Or between these and OG model without spacers (but semi-common driver ruptures)?

And are there any major (or minor) SQ difference between units that shipped with the blue-cable vs those with black-and-white braided cables?

I ask, b/c I've heard two different LCD-4s--one with b&w braided cable, one with blue--and the first was a bass monster, the second fairly balanced in profile. I found the first pretty magical as basshead cans. The second maybe clearer but not quite so wonderfully thumping and textured down low.

I believe both units had the felt spacers. I don't know if there was any difference in pads otherwise. The chains were different--McIntosh MHA150 for the b&w cable model, Ferrum Orr/Hypsos for the blue--but I can't imagine it would change the bass response so radically?

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #11,288 of 12,031
A question about LCD-4 variants: I've read through a big chunk of the thread, but didn't quite find what I'm looking for....

Most LCD-4s out in the wild now seem to have the felt or rubber (?) spacers. Is there any appreciable difference in SQ or frequency profile between these two? Or between these and OG model without spacers (but semi-common driver ruptures)?

And are there any major (or minor) SQ difference between units that shipped with the blue-cable vs those with black-and-white braided cables?

I ask, b/c I've heard two different LCD-4s--one with b&w braided cable, one with blue--and the first was a bass monster, the second fairly balanced in profile. I found the first pretty magical as basshead cans. The second maybe clearer but not quite so wonderfully thumping and textured down low.

I believe both units had the felt spacers. I don't know if there was any difference in pads otherwise. The chains were different--McIntosh MHA150 for the b&w cable model, Ferrum Orr/Hypsos for the blue--but I can't imagine it would change the bass response so radically?

Thanks!
I don't know about the spacers but the pads have changed over time and the latest pad revision is the best.

Audeze originally made a 100Ω version of the LCD 4 and only the first 200 models shipped with the blue cable as it was a limited first edition piece. Users starting reporting problems about their LCD 4's and then Audeze started to make a 200Ω version and subsequently, stopped making further 100Ω models. In regards to the sonic differences between the 100Ω - 200Ω models I cannot say as my model is from 2019 which is the 200Ω model and that's the only one I have heard.

People say that the original blue cable was fantastic and it was built by a custom cable maker which had access to the development of the headphone to make the cable. However, again I do not know which cable is better as I only have the newer black & white cable. I still cannot believe they are charging like £600 for this cable but its probably the best stock cable that ships with a headphone that I have ever seen.

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #11,289 of 12,031

Thanks!
I tried an old 100Ω version with a metal ring. It delivered fantastic bass/sub. However, one driver died after just a few hours.
So yes, the bass was incredible with the 100Ω model, but it was too fragile. As a result, they started to roll out the 200Ω version, which is less spectacular but more durable.
If Audeze could manufacture a reliable LCD4(C?) that offers the same sound as the 100Ω model, I would buy it right away.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #11,290 of 12,031
I have a 2018 version which I believe is with the original pads. I bought it new so I’m referring to the first pad variant. It has more bass than some others I have heard but not by a huge amount. A little EQ and Bob’s your uncle! All the clean bass you could ever want.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #11,292 of 12,031
I don’t use EQ with the LCD4 but it responds nicely to it. But for those who want one all rounder and listen to a wide variety of music EQ is probably a requirement. I have yet to find one headphone that fits all my tastes perfectly. It is why I have an extensive headphone stable.

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #11,293 of 12,031
Interesting to see the LCD 4 prototype and the differences compared to the shipped headphones. No chrome on the connector housing and the no Audeze logo on the adjustment mechanism.

Attachments

• 1689537783488.png
    1689537783488.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #11,294 of 12,031
I don’t use EQ with the LCD4 but it responds nicely to it. But for those who want one all rounder and listen to a wide variety of music EQ is probably a requirement. I have yet to find one headphone that fits all my tastes perfectly. It is why I have an extensive headphone stable.
How do the DCA Stealth compare to LCD 4?
I have been meaning to pick up a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back