Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 2, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #5,731 of 7,335
Well, I have finally found a mint Oppo HA-1 that is already here making my current headphone lineup rock like never before. I love it. Now, I'm eagerly awaiting my (new to me) Audeze LCD-2C headphones (probably my endgame units in both amp and cans - and yes, I believe in "end game" products. All it requires is that you find the gear that makes the music sound the way you think it should, and be satisfied. Not an easy thing I admit, but possible.). I was fortunate enough to review the original LCD-2's years ago for The Audio Beat and loved them, just couldn't afford them back then. So getting the LCD-2C's at a fair price was something I could no longer resist. Been following this thread for a while now, and it helped me pull the trigger on the LCD-2C's when the opportunity arose. So thanks all. Come Wednesday my headphone time is about to get REALLY fun!

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #5,732 of 7,335
I have never been a fan of EQ. My philosophy is that a sound you don't like by default can't really be fixed by EQ and you are better off buying different headphones. I tried these EQ settings on my RME-ADI2 and LCD2C and I have to say it just goes against the nature of the 2C. These EQ settings are trying to make something out of the 2C which it is not. Yes, the bass is less and the treble is more but the inherent 2C characteristics are lost. IMO it is better to pick a different pair of headphones than implying these EQ settings on the 2C. The 2C is a fun and bassy planar headphone. If you want less bass and more treble clarity you are better off buying the Elear/Sundara/Clear instead of castrating the smooth and bassy nature of the 2C by EQ.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5,733 of 7,335
I have never been a fan of EQ. My philosophy is that a sound you don't like by default can't really be fixed by EQ and you are better off buying different headphones. I tried these EQ settings on my RME-ADI2 and LCD2C and I have to say it just goes against the nature of the 2C. These EQ settings are trying to make something out of the 2C which it is not. Yes, the bass is less and the treble is more but the inherent 2C characteristics are lost. IMO it is better to pick a different pair of headphones than implying these EQ settings on the 2C. The 2C is a fun and bassy planar headphone. If you want less bass and more treble clarity you are better off buying the Elear/Sundara/Clear instead of castrating the smooth and bassy nature of the 2C by EQ.
I agree messing with EQ just seems to affect the character of a headphone. I have tried playing around with EQ (Schiit Loki) a bit but just use it as originally intended and that was to mildly correct my floor standing speakers.

I have been researching DAC's and I noticed that you have the DAC I'm seriously considering getting myself, the RME-ADI2. I see that this unit does have a built in parametric equalizer which is something nice to check out but I probably wouldn't apply it. I see that you're getting the LCD-2C, I just purchased the LC2C a couple of days ago. I have about 50 hours on them now and they sure have opened up beautifully. These cans sound incredible with the SMSL SU-8 Dac and Drop+THX AAA 789 amp, can't imagine how amazing they would sound with the RME. You'll have to give me your impressions once you've had sufficient time with your gear.

May 3, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #5,734 of 7,335
I agree messing with EQ just seems to affect the character of a headphone. I have tried playing around with EQ (Schiit Loki) a bit but just use it as originally intended and that was to mildly correct my floor standing speakers.

I have been researching DAC's and I noticed that you have the DAC I'm seriously considering getting myself, the RME-ADI2. I see that this unit does have a built in parametric equalizer which is something nice to check out but I probably wouldn't apply it. I see that you're getting the LCD-2C, I just purchased the LC2C a couple of days ago. I have about 50 hours on them now and they sure have opened up beautifully. These cans sound incredible with the SMSL SU-8 Dac and Drop+THX AAA 789 amp, can't imagine how amazing they would sound with the RME. You'll have to give me your impressions once you've had sufficient time with your gear.
If you dont have the skills and dont care to get them then just buy another headphone , buy another amp and dac and then have five headphones , one for different eq setting albums.

May 3, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,735 of 7,335

The RME is a very clean and dynamic source. Great combination with the 2C, which benefits from this neutral clarity a lot. The RME sound is a bit 'studio-like' which means it lacks any kind of warmth or colouration that most traditional 'audiophile' gear have to different extent. I wouldn't call it clinical or cold, just very clean, dynamic and clear. At the same time the ADI-2 is definitely not boring, and it gives you a great insight to the music. Pairing with a warmer and bassier headphone like the 2C works extremely well. The 2C can be a bit hazy with warmer amps, so the clean power of the RME benefits this headphone a lot, especially in the bass region. I imagine the RME would work well with the Nighthawk, Fostex, any Audeze or Mr Speaker headphones, but perhaps it would sound a bit bright and analytical with headphones that are already bright and have a thinner sound (some Beyers, Senn 800).
I have also ordered the THX-789, looking forward to see what this amp might add to the picture.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5,736 of 7,335
Endgame does not exist my friend. It is a notion we use to justify our present purchases due to our lack of knowledge in higher-end gear. :)

No. Endgame is finally realising that chasing that 4 grand set of headphones, an 8 grand DAC, and a 2 grand HP amp isn't actually going to get us anywhere closer to audio nirvana that we thought it would when we started this journey. Hopefully many other people have realised this and not blown cash beyond their means in this hobby that in many ways resembles drug dealing by preying on the addicted.

May 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #5,737 of 7,335
No. Endgame is finally realising that chasing that 4 grand set of headphones, an 8 grand DAC, and a 2 grand HP amp isn't actually going to get us anywhere closer to audio nirvana that we thought it would when we started this journey. Hopefully many other people have realised this and not blown cash beyond their means in this hobby that in many ways resembles drug dealing by preying on the addicted.
This is a very addictive hobby. I think occasional overspending is forgivable. Having some clear moments though might put everything in new perspectives. And sometimes we need new perspectives.

May 3, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,738 of 7,335
The RME is a very clean and dynamic source. Great combination with the 2C, which benefits from this neutral clarity a lot. The RME sound is a bit 'studio-like' which means it lacks any kind of warmth or colouration that most traditional 'audiophile' gear have to different extent. I wouldn't call it clinical or cold, just very clean, dynamic and clear. At the same time the ADI-2 is definitely not boring, and it gives you a great insight to the music. Pairing with a warmer and bassier headphone like the 2C works extremely well. The 2C can be a bit hazy with warmer amps, so the clean power of the RME benefits this headphone a lot, especially in the bass region. I imagine the RME would work well with the Nighthawk, Fostex, any Audeze or Mr Speaker headphones, but perhaps it would sound a bit bright and analytical with headphones that are already bright and have a thinner sound (some Beyers, Senn 800).
I have also ordered the THX-789, looking forward to see what this amp might add to the picture.

Well according to the specs of the 789, it shouldn't add anything to the picture. From my brief couple of days with it, it sure does sound quiet there's nothing coming out of my headphones between songs even when the volume dial is elevated.

So a super clean DAC like the RME ADI-2 paired with the super quiet 789 should make for an amazing sound. I agree with you that warmer headphones like my LC2C, HD650, Meze 99 Noir and HD58X should be good with this equipment. My HE500's highs could be a bit too intense though, might have to sell that headphone down the road.

May 4, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #5,739 of 7,335
TBH an HD6xx with a decent amp/dac setup is all most people would need. After spending lots of money myself, i see this now.

May 5, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #5,740 of 7,335
Hello!
Try this EQ settings:
Band 1 • 300 Hz | +2.50 dB | Q: 0.5 (Shelf)
Band 2 • 940 Hz | -2.50 dB | Q: 1.50
Band 3 • 2000 Hz | +5.00 dB | Q: 5.00
Band 4 • 5300 Hz | +4.00 dB | Q: 2.00
Band 5 • 7000 Hz | -3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Peak)

May 5, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #5,741 of 7,335
Hello!
Try this EQ settings:
Band 1 • 300 Hz | +2.50 dB | Q: 0.5 (Shelf)
Band 2 • 940 Hz | -2.50 dB | Q: 1.50
Band 3 • 2000 Hz | +5.00 dB | Q: 5.00
Band 4 • 5300 Hz | +4.00 dB | Q: 2.00
Band 5 • 7000 Hz | -3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Peak)
Hardly any different to the previous settings. Slightly better I have to say, but I still can't see a reason why I would be using it. Yes, somehow it tames bass if that is bothering you, but at the same time suffocates vocals and makes the upper-mids/treble sound more artificial. I say, let that bass rambling and experience a more lifelike upper-mid/treble representation at the same time. If bass is too much, just by another pair of headphones. We are spoiled with plenty of different choices these days. There is something for everyone.

Edit:
I don't really think it makes sense to send EQ recommendations to each other. It seems the hearing capabilities between human beings are more different than we have ever thought. There might be an ideal frequency setting that all of us try to achieve, but EQ is basically to help our different hearings to achieve the same goal. If we follow the same logic, no EQ will work for 2 people. Guys, our hearing is more different than we have ever thought. Perhaps we strive for the same perfection but we are coming from different places. Therefore different headphones and different EQ will work for everyone.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,743 of 7,335
What pads are people using on LCD-2C I have a pair with dekoni elite velour. Thinking of getting some different pads as I do not like the velour on my face. Was thinking of hybrids maybe or some ZMF pads.
I for one find the Stock pads ultra comfortable.
Still interested what others use and how it affects the sound

May 5, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,745 of 7,335
I for one find the Stock pads ultra comfortable.
Still interested what others use and how it affects the sound

I got mine used but low hours and mint. The velour pads tame that treble issue and smooth them out. Mids are great, bass probably loses a bit of extension possibly, They came with mint stock pads also so i just might.... I have LCD2F also with stock pads and I like the difference in sound between them but the leather is so much more comfy IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back