Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #2,686 of 7,334
After having those for about a month here's my impressions.

First of all build quality is stellar, I love how everything just goes well together and how solid it feels. It's very comfortable and I can wear it for hours without fatigue.

Sound wise it's just what I need as my main headphone while at home, something that's quite dark and non fatiguing. This doesn't mean it has less detail, it's just smoother and not "pushed into my brain" as some other headphones.
The planar bass is bliss.

I'm tempted to bite the bullet and upgrade my S.M.S.L M6 to either R2R-11 or iFi iDSD Micro BL, anyone can chip in oh which one to pick/their experience with those two while using the LCD-2C?

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,687 of 7,334
After having those for about a month here's my impressions.

First of all build quality is stellar, I love how everything just goes well together and how solid it feels. It's very comfortable and I can wear it for hours without fatigue.

Sound wise it's just what I need as my main headphone while at home, something that's quite dark and non fatiguing. This doesn't mean it has less detail, it's just smoother and not "pushed into my brain" as some other headphones.
The planar bass is bliss.

I'm tempted to bite the bullet and upgrade my S.M.S.L M6 to either R2R-11 or iFi iDSD Micro BL, anyone can chip in oh which one to pick/their experience with those two while using the LCD-2C?
Hi - both options are great. ifi is more portable and flexible, R2R is more powerful with a better dac and amp. I just sold my ifi and kept the R2R if that’s any indication.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,688 of 7,334
Got my classics today and using Magni 3 on low gain listening to few mixes my mate did for me on Mixcloud and listening on Musicbee. WOW the strings and Clarity of these and vocals are simply stunning even though its not on real loud the Timing and Bass digs Deep these are Brilliant for EDM certainly got rhythm

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,690 of 7,334
Does anybody use there Classics on high gain
IMHO, all Schiit amps sound best in high gain mode.
Low gain mode is really only there for people that are using really super-sensitive headphones.
As long as you have a usable amount of volume knob travel, I'd stick with high gain.
Try it out for you self and see which mode sounds best to you.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,692 of 7,334
No prob! Glad you're loving your LCD-2C's. They're definitely a nice set of cans for the dough.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #2,693 of 7,334
can anybody please tell me a little about the difference in sound between those and the "normal" LCD-2? I didnt find any good comparisons whatsoever unfortunately. I would like to get those or the LCD-2 to complement my Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD700. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,694 of 7,334
can anybody please tell me a little about the difference in sound between those and the "normal" LCD-2? I didnt find any good comparisons whatsoever unfortunately. I would like to get those or the LCD-2 to complement my Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD700. Thanks in advance!!
There have been a few comparasons in this thread. Tge standard lcd-2 is a bit more neutral due to the fazor. Little less bass punch. Someone else can jump in if they want.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #2,695 of 7,334
The "normal" LCD-2s are a bit more syrupy and dark. Funnily the LCD-2Cs are not dark at all and can sound quit shouty with certain amps. The bass of the LCD-2Cs is deeper and clearer compared to the fazor version.
Depends on your preferences. Difficult to make a decision without hearing them first.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #2,696 of 7,334
Thanks guys! Well I have been looking through this thread but after a lot of pages I gave up xD
I'ts interesting though how the opinions diverge. I've heard people say in reviews that the classics are extremely dark (maybe even too dark for certain amp combos) but others say they're not dark at all. I've ordered some classics now for trying them out but unfortunatley cant compare them to the fazor ones.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #2,697 of 7,334
Also the entire MrSpeakers Aeon Flow comparison is making my brain smoke as there are so many different opinions. So I'm faced with the audiphile's classic conundrum of never knowing if I made the right choice or if there would have been a ( to me ) better sounding headphone. But I cant compare them directly as ordering heaphones for a total of a couple thousand euros just isnt feasable for me sadly.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,698 of 7,334
Idk if that's been posted but it's quite interesting

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/rev...nes-simply-sublime/sound-analysis-conclusions

How does the LCD2 Classic sound?
If you like a lush and engaging sound, the LCD2 Classic would be right up your alley. The highs never sound harsh or shrill, and the mids are incredibly smooth and intimate. And like most Audeze headphones, the LCD2 Classic has fantastic bass that goes very deep. Its bass isn’t boosted or accentuated; it just sounds amazingly clean, punchy and textured. The LCD2 Classic is also very detailed and clear. In short, they sound pretty awesome.

Do the LCD2 Classic and LCD-2 sound different at all?
audeze-lcd2c-comparison1.jpg

The LCD2 Classic and LCD-2 sound very similar and you would have to listen very hard to spot any differences.

They do, but - and this is a huge but - only if you have them both with you and listen to one after the other. Even then, you might strain to hear the differences.

Nevertheless, here’s what I heard:

• The overall tonality and signature of the headphones are most similarly but with the LCD2 Classic sounding a shade warmer. Just a shade. The LCD-2, on the other hand, sounds a little brighter and is certainly the more neutral-sounding headphone overall.
  • The LCD2 Classic slams a tad harder in the bass, but only just.
  • Both also have a very smooth rendition of the mids, and both have highs that are superbly tame and never harsh or shrill.
  • The biggest difference lies in their imaging and soundstage. In my listening, I found the LCD-2 to have a wider soundstage and more accurate imaging. The LCD2 Classic is hazier in this regard, though again, not by a wide margin.
To conclude, I must emphasize that the differences between the two headphones are very, very slight. And I suspect that if I didn't have the two headphones on hand to compare against each other, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference at all.

If that’s the case, which one should I get?
audeze-lcd2c-intro.jpg

Thanks to its lower price tag, more people can now sample the lush sounds of Audeze's LCD headphones.

Since the two sound so similar, I think there are other factors that are more worthy of consideration.

• Aesthetics - Do you like the wooden cups of the LCD-2 over the metal rings of the LCD2 Classic?
  • Comfort - The LCD2 Classic is a lot more comfortable because of its lower weight and suspension-style headband.
  • Budget - Because of the two headphones sound so alike, and the LCD2 Classic is significantly more affordable, I think that the LCD2 Classic offers better value for money - even if it doesn’t come with the LCD-2’s rugged carrying case, have wooden ear cup rings, and genuine leather ear pads.
The short story is this: The LCD2 Classic offers about 90% to 95% the performance of the LCD2C for about 65% the price.

At any rate, you really can’t go wrong with either pair of headphones. They are stellar performers and are some of the best headphones that you can get at their respective price points.

Are there alternatives to consider?
mrspeakers-aeonflow1.jpg

The Aeon Flow headphones from MrSpeakers are worth auditioning too if you are ready to splash the cash on a set of high-end headphones.

Other headphones that you should consider at this price point are the MrSpeakers Aeon Flows. Priced identically at S$1,099, the Aeon Flows come in closed-back and open-back forms and also utilize planar magnetic drivers. However, the Aeon Flow headphones sound vastly different from the Audeze LCD2 Classic. In fact, the two Aeon Flow headphones don’t even sound like each other at all!

The closed-back version of the Aeon Flow is remarkably neutral in its sound. It sounds accurate, but it can also sound a little too polite and unexciting for some people. The Audeze LCD2 Classic and LCD-2 are more dynamic and engaging.

The open-back version, on the other hand, has a warmer signature even when compared to the Audezes. For an open-back headphone, its bass response is surprisingly strong. There’s a slight bloom in the mid-bass that bleeds very slightly into the mids, which gives it a thick almost gooey sound. It’s an inviting and alluring sound that compares well to the Audezes’ slightly warm signature.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #2,699 of 7,334
Btw joeexp i hope my reply didn't sound like I wouldn't trust your judgement! If so I apologise because I value your opinion (and chef8489's) a lot!
Been a member here for 5 years I think and always loved how much the community helps each other and is always friendly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back