Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,051 of 7,334
The Utopia is a bright headphone to me, its fatiguing for me after a while. But some folks might like that sound (looking at @Savage4)

If I was looking for a critical listening headphone I would rather use the HD800 without any mods. But for a headphone to listen to pop/movies I think the LCD2C will be great.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,052 of 7,334
If my decision to keep or sell gear was based on only a few hours of listening, I'd have regretted many things, especially the LCD-2s.

Among all my headphones, I was the least excited about LCD-2 during the first listen when I first got them.

I'd recommend trying to listen exclusively to a headphone for days and weeks. It took me 2-3 weeks to appreciate the LCD-2 having been listening to HE-500 until then.

IMO your brain will get used to the sound signature of every headphone to a degree when that's the only sound you listen to for some time. However, there are some things you still cannot adjust for - things that cause you fatigue or make you uneasy. Let time sort things out, for better or worse.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,053 of 7,334
As someone who is tempted to return my 2C and shell out for the 3 as an endgame (for me), I want to hear more of this debate between LCD sound sig lovers who think the 3 is worth it, people who think the X is the better next step up, and people who think the 2 gets so close that they'd rather put the additional $1k elsewhere.

Don’t return it, sell to me!

I have the LCD-3 (2017 version) and it’s an endgame for me. It does everything the LCD-2 does, but better. Better soundstage, separation, resolution, low end, creaminess, all.

And I did compare my LCD-3 to a friends 2017 LCD-X and the 3 is better in every aspect, but to a lesser margin than compared to the 2. The X sounded thinner, flatter, but the highs were dry. It’s not for me. The LCD-3 slams harder on the lows and is more gentle on the highs, a lusher sound.

BUT, if all I could afford is a LCD-2, I would still be happy.

I want this Classic so bad...

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,054 of 7,334
Out of all the LCD’s which has the better low end in terms of impact? I have the EL-8 and while not smoother or refined than the LCD2-C, it definitely punches harder. I always thought the LCD-X was supposed to be the more lively and dynamic.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,055 of 7,334
Out of all the LCD’s which has the better low end in terms of impact? I have the EL-8 and while not smoother or refined than the LCD2-C, it definitely punches harder. I always thought the LCD-X was supposed to be the more lively and dynamic.

The LCD-3 when properly driven, has a lot of impact. I tested mine with a Burson Conductor V2 and I fell in love. The LCD-X didn’t come close to it on the same amp.

I have had the EL-8 and LCD-2 (2014) in the past. The 3 wins.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,057 of 7,334
You might put the lcd2c between the x and lcd3 giving it great value !
Don’t return it, sell to me!

I have the LCD-3 (2017 version) and it’s an endgame for me. It does everything the LCD-2 does, but better. Better soundstage, separation, resolution, low end, creaminess, all.

And I did compare my LCD-3 to a friends 2017 LCD-X and the 3 is better in every aspect, but to a lesser margin than compared to the 2. The X sounded thinner, flatter, but the highs were dry. It’s not for me. The LCD-3 slams harder on the lows and is more gentle on the highs, a lusher sound.

BUT, if all I could afford is a LCD-2, I would still be happy.

I want this Classic so bad...
Giving it

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,059 of 7,334
Man, lotta people saying nice things about the 2C over here. I'm not at all familiar with the sound (never owned anything Audeze), but as a satisfied longtime HD650 owner I don't see this purchase in the cards right now. Would love to give them a try at some point...

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,060 of 7,334
Just ordered a pair $599 direct and a Blue Dragon balanced cable from Moon Audio.

Nice! Just picked my pair up from FEDEX but running errands before sitting down with them. Let me know what you think of them with the WE 396As.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,063 of 7,334
These aren't really nitpicks but more of some observations I've had and haven't seen mentioned so might be just my own thoughts.

1. I'm going to assume to hit this price point that is why we got the padded shipping box but this makes it seem kind of hood to me for $599 and soon to be $799 priced item. Almost like I bought some refurbs. But the Audeze tape on the box was nice.
2. Do Planar Headphones smell like a new PC component? I don't think I ever owned, bought, opened a box of new headphones and got hit by the smell of like unboxing a new motherboard. The headphones still have the smell but thinking this will go away over the months.
3. I'm a newb to this company and i'm not going to lie I really wasn't sure which side the red and blue plug on the cord was supposed to go. I assumed red to R and blue to L but looking at the manual it says it's labelled on the cord/plug ends and I never seen them.

Again not gripes or anything just some observations of mine.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,065 of 7,334
These aren't really nitpicks but more of some observations I've had and haven't seen mentioned so might be just my own thoughts.

1. I'm going to assume to hit this price point that is why we got the padded shipping box but this makes it seem kind of hood to me for $599 and soon to be $799 priced item. Almost like I bought some refurbs. But the Audeze tape on the box was nice.
2. Do Planar Headphones smell like a new PC component? I don't think I ever owned, bought, opened a box of new headphones and got hit by the smell of like unboxing a new motherboard. The headphones still have the smell but thinking this will go away over the months.
3. I'm a newb to this company and i'm not going to lie I really wasn't sure which side the red and blue plug on the cord was supposed to go. I assumed red to R and blue to L but looking at the manual it says it's labelled on the cord/plug ends and I never seen them.

Again not gripes or anything just some observations of mine.
It does have a strong scent and i can still smell it after 2 days from the headphone its not lingering but when i take a few sniffs at it... hehe but in all seriousness my aeon flow open had a smell but nothing close to the lcd2c im still on the fence on which one i like more. Im still trying to compare them i got an idea of how they differ i wish i had the time to make a playlist with great headphone testing purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back