Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,021 of 7,334
Does rap/hip-hop sound that much better on the TH-X00? I listen to a ton of hip hop old and new and I’d be sad if the 2C doesn’t do it well.

It's not bad but depending on the song it can just sounds poor. The TH-X00 i'm thinking might be better for poorer recordings and in the bass region sounds better to me. The sound on the LCD2C is different and maybe I might just need to get more used to it with some genre's. If you listen to the Fostex and then through on the LCD2C it's almost like a whole different experience. I wish I could explain it better. If I had just the LCD2C I don't think I would be disappointed.

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,022 of 7,334
It's not bad but depending on the song it can just sounds poor. The TH-X00 i'm thinking might be better for poorer recordings and in the bass region sounds better to me. The sound on the LCD2C is different and maybe I might just need to get more used to it with some genre's. If you listen to the Fostex and then through on the LCD2C it's almost like a whole different experience. I wish I could explain it better. If I had just the LCD2C I don't think I would be disappointed.
Couldn’t agree more. There’s nothing like the TH-X00 when it comes to bass. So deep and punchy and beautiful. Don’t bother trying to compare it to anything else or you’ll be disappointed. I still miss my Fostex sometimes - sold it to get the Atticus, and even the Atticus doesn’t have the quantity of bass the Fostex puts out. Best sub bass of any headphone I’ve ever heard. BUT the LCD-2 is brilliant in its own way, and in fact the texture and control of the bass is better than the Fostex. Always good to have at least two headphones so you can pick your flavour based on album and mood.

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,023 of 7,334
Couldn’t agree more. There’s nothing like the TH-X00 when it comes to bass. So deep and punchy and beautiful. Don’t bother trying to compare it to anything else or you’ll be disappointed. I still miss my Fostex sometimes - sold it to get the Atticus, and even the Atticus doesn’t have the quantity of bass the Fostex puts out. Best sub bass of any headphone I’ve ever heard. BUT the LCD-2 is brilliant in its own way, and in fact the texture and control of the bass is better than the Fostex. Always good to have at least two headphones so you can pick your flavour based on album and mood.

How do you compare lcd2 vs atticus. I had lcd2, it was my favourite but sold it because of the weight. Now i'm waiting for an atticus. Hope to get the punch of the aeon open but with no sibilance.

Dec 23, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,024 of 7,334
How do you compare lcd2 vs atticus. I had lcd2, it was my favourite but sold it because of the weight. Now i'm waiting for an atticus. Hope to get the punch of the aeon open but with no sibilance.
You’ll love the Atticus then. Full of punch and warmth, but the mids are the star of he show. Better mids than any other headphone I’ve ever heard - open or closed. And zero sibilance! Complements my LCD-2F beautifully. LCD has a bit more treble energy and is more “open” sounding. Both superb headphones.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,025 of 7,334
You’ll love the Atticus then. Full of punch and warmth, but the mids are the star of he show. Better mids than any other headphone I’ve ever heard - open or closed. And zero sibilance! Complements my LCD-2F beautifully. LCD has a bit more treble energy and is more “open” sounding. Both superb headphones.

Glad to hear that! I cant wait to try it... Hope to get it right after xmas...

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,026 of 7,334
Glad to hear that! I cant wait to try it... Hope to get it right after xmas...
I got the first Barnyard Cherry prototype that Zach made. Smooth sound, thumping bass - but well controlled and no midrange bleed. Pairs best with tubes but not bad off the SS rig I use for the LCD-2.

I thought the LCD-2C would actually have a very similar sound profile but by the impressions posted here and elsewhere it seems it’s more neutral than the warmer sound of the Atticus.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,027 of 7,334
Just wanna add my 2 cents here. I have owned a pair of LCD-Xs which I sold right after I got my utopia. Just received my LCD-2C today and decided to return them after a 7-hour critical listening. I know it's not fair to compare them with my utopia-dana-dave combo, but I just find the LCD-2C way too dark (literally insufferable). I believe they are indeed well-made for $599 but just not my thing. I was searching for a pair of planars for bass backup but I guess I have to save money for a much better pair. Surprisingly though I find they have the same level of clarity as LCD-x with stock cable (I know for LCD-x, black dragon cable from Moon-audio can significantly alter the sound signature).
Sorry you find the LCD-2C too dark and decided to return them. For me, I'm looking forward to having a "warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound." (definition of dark from Stereophile Glossary)
And as @Audeze stated earlier “amazing mids.”

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,028 of 7,334
So you find the LCD-2C dark and decided to return them. For me, I'm looking forward to having a "warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound." (definition from Stereophile Glossary)
And as @Audeze stated earlier “amazing mids.”
I think you need LCD-3. Don’t get me wrong. 2Cs are definitely worth the money but if you want what you described, they are just not qualified enough.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,029 of 7,334
I think you need LCD-3. Don’t get me wrong. 2Cs are definitely worth the money but if you want what you described, they are just not qualified enough.
Sorry man but that’s utter nonsense. The LCD-2 is renown for its darker, warmer sound. It’s in its DNA. Sure the LCD-3 is technically better in *some* aspects, but many (myself included) prefer the sound signature of the LCD-2.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,030 of 7,334
Sorry man but that’s utter nonsense. The LCD-2 is renown for its darker, warmer sound. It’s in its DNA. Sure the LCD-3 is technically better in *some* aspects, but many (myself included) prefer the sound signature of the LCD-2.
No offense but I think you are delusional. I’m not trying to be judgmental but there is a reason why LCD-3s are much more expensive. At least for 2C there is no rich mid or any warmth. If all depends on your source and the quality of your power distribution in the end.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #1,031 of 7,334
20171221_203937.jpg 20171221_204138.jpg Since these didn't come with the nice case of the rest of their line, I got an Amazon Basics Pelikan-like case, removed the top layer from the mailing box foam and trimmed 3/4" from each side. So for $33 and 5 minutes time, I now have a nice carry case.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,033 of 7,334
Try heavenly blue. Maybe I just like my utopias too much and I find everything else dark. However I do enjoy my t8ie mk II with whiplash silver litz v3. So it’s also possible that the stock cable is just too bad.
I've just listened to Heavenly Blue on my 2016 LCD-2F. It was neither dark nor "pitchy", and there was not even a hint of sibilance. If anything the LCD-2C would have even less sibilance. And I'm not sure how you can call them dark and still complain about a "sharp high pitch". You almost make them sound V-shaped. The LCD-2 are many things, but V-shaped is not one of them. Possibly something's up with our source files or sources? Don't know what to suggest, but there's no hint of what you describe in what I'm hearing.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,034 of 7,334
Since these didn't come with the nice case of the rest of their line, I got an Amazon Basics Pelikan-like case, removed the top layer from the mailing box foam and trimmed 3/4" from each side. So for $33 and 5 minutes time, I now have a nice carry case.
Clever!

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,035 of 7,334
No offense but I think you are delusional. I’m not trying to be judgmental but there is a reason why LCD-3s are much more expensive. At least for 2C there is no rich mid or any warmth. If all depends on your source and the quality of your power distribution in the end.
No, I think it mostly depends on your headphones. Sources and power matter, of course, but they won't change the sound signature of a headphone to such an extent as you seem to describe. And if by delusional you mean I think the LCD-2/2C is "better" than the LCD-3, that's not what I'm saying. At this level, 'better' is maybe 5% or 10% improvement in some areas, but preference is entirely different. The same reason so many people seem to think the Utopias you mention are far too bright, glaring and analytical, no matter how much they cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back